Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This was a bad thread and I got owned and now I shall let it die in shame.

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

i don't get it

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

i don't get it

me either

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I think that even if it is a photo essay there needs to be at least some words to set some kind of context. Then again I am not in photojournalism class.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It was done for a photojournalism class, and I think it came out really well,

Ahhh those days :allears:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Dread Head posted:

I think that even if it is a photo essay there needs to be at least some words to set some kind of context. Then again I am not in photojournalism class.

The pictures are supposed to speak for themselves so I tried that. :(

I will uh.... post the captions when I get my laptop out of the car

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

A pretty common pitfall for this kind of thing is that you already know the context for the photos as the photographer, and it's kind of hard to put that completely out of mind when selecting the photos. Your audience doesn't have that same context, however.

From the photos I can get or guess some basic details, like the lady possibly works in broadcast of some sort, the dude is a firefighter, and they are either married or engaged and there's a kid. All I've got are characters, but no story really.

Other than that, how much technical detail did the class go into? Some of the photos are oddly exposed or composed.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Like, I can tell the series is a story, I just can't work out what it's a story about. Now I kinda want to know though.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

SoundMonkey posted:

Like, I can tell the series is a story, I just can't work out what it's a story about. Now I kinda want to know though.

Well, I'll post the story intro and captions in the morning so check back tomorrow!

Geektox posted:

Other than that, how much technical detail did the class go into? Some of the photos are oddly exposed or composed.

We learned to only use natural light, and not to edit in any way that will change the meaning. Some photos seems bright or dark, because that's how the room was. Can you be more specific on the weird ones?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Arrgytehpirate posted:

We learned to only use natural light, and not to edit in any way that will change the meaning. Some photos seems bright or dark, because that's how the room was. Can you be more specific on the weird ones?

This is one of the cases where I feel the whole "100% unedited photojournalism" thing is unhelpful. Yeah don't be a dick and clone in a bunch of weird poo poo or extra missiles but seeing as how every photograph is already grossly altered by the simple fact that you choose where to place the frame lines not throwing a bit of curves on there is silly. I see contests needing to have a firm line on this for lawyer reasons but outside of that them use the tools you have to tell the story you want. Anyone that bitches about that should be forced to shoot only slide film and never make a print/scan.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I don't think it needs to be something long but it needs to set the scene. Like others have said there is some kind of narrative going on but it is kind of hard to parse anything beyond that. I am not sure I have ever looked at a photo essay/story that does not have some pretext or intro. If you have any examples I would be interested to see them but unless the viewer is familiar with the situation that you are documenting I think it is going to be tough to engage viewers in the desired way.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
A good introductory text would be "I saw some trees".

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Made this for my photojournalism class.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

RangerScum posted:

holy poo poo

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

That is loving impressive.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

RangerScum posted:

same

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

RangerScum posted:

:eyepop:

:agreed:

Hail Satan

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
rad skeleton, rated 5

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

RangerScum posted:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Is this the new best thread?

E: it crashed my awful app.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

RangerScum posted:

Now this is how you do a photo essay.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I just saw this on Facebook and I don't know what it is but I know it belongs here.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
I love cooking it relaxes me.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

:eyepop:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

8th-snype posted:

clone in a bunch of weird poo poo or extra missiles

A good idea.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

deaders posted:

I love cooking it relaxes me.

Post photos demonstrating this or get out

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
So is the OP going to come back to tell us what grade he got?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

MrBlandAverage posted:

So is the OP going to come back to tell us what grade he got?

I got an A. I guess I probably should have posted some context to the story. It was my first story and looking back there would be a few things I'd do different. If there is interest I can repost the photos with an actual writeup of what the gently caress is going on.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I got an A. I guess I probably should have posted some context to the story. It was my first story and looking back there would be a few things I'd do different. If there is interest I can repost the photos with an actual writeup of what the gently caress is going on.

Do this, then also show your professor RangerScum's magnum opus up there and get his opinion.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

Do this, then also show your professor RangerScum's magnum opus up there and get his opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Do it and also don't edit your photos out of threads when internet people don't like your work you're gonna need thicker skin than that if you ever want to be a PHOTO JOURNALIST

• Locked thread