Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Fate Accomplice posted:

while this is top of mind it sure would be nice if mostly European designers stopped theming games based on non-European cultures. I'm looking at you

Targi
Ra
Goa
Bora Bora
Tikal
Ghost Stories
Takenoko
Vanuatu
At the Gates of Loyang
Gugong
Tekhenu
Rajas of the Ganges
Holi
Maharaja
Jaipur
Teotihuacan
Aztec
T'zolkin
Tigris & Euphrates
Nippon
The Great Wall
Santiago
Agra
Taj Mahal
Trade on the Tigris
The Great Zimbabwe
Imhotep

this is just off the top of my head + the BGG top 400. I left off some obvious games about European interactions with non-European cultures.

as the hobby grows it would be nice if these names/themes were available to designers from those regions or with the right context/connection to them.

Agreed, we need more European, medieval trading and/or farming games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

My group had a go at Voyages tonight! This is a recent Kickstarter that fulfilled very very quickly because it's a one-page print-and-play game. Not counting the rules, of course.

This is a multiplayer solitaire game wherein you each control a ship on a vast hex-based ocean. Every round three dice are rolled, and you pick one die result to be the speed at which your ship will move, one to be the vector along which your ship will travel, and the third to be the "Duty," which is a little crossword puzzle looking thing where you cross off the number you picked. You earn points from visiting islands, exploring uncharted waters, finding and selling various goods, fighting pirates, and various other whatnot.

People keep saying it was designed by Mr Roland Wright, but I don't think it's one of his works. For one thing, I like it better than the vast majority of those games, and for another, (it seems to me) the primary action in a roll and write game is rolling some dice, and either picking where to draw a thing, or picking which thing to cross out, and since the only part of it that really counts as that is the Duties, which uses only one third of the dice, and at most one eighth of the page space, I'd describe this more as a roll-and-move game.

If it's a roll-and-move game, it's the most interesting roll-and-move game I've ever played, And even if you do call it a roll-and-write game, it's certainly the most thematic roll-and-write game I've ever seen. This thing has elements of pickup and delivery, exploration, set collection, questing... and the system has the potential to be ridiculously flexible in what you can do with more than the three maps that were included in the Kickstarter.

If you want to play it, it should be available for online purchase in early 2022, and I heartily recommend it!

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Yea, Voyages is pretty cool. I've played it some five times now w/my partner (just map 1). It's kinda like a mash-up between Ganz Schön Clever & Railroad Ink. I also dig the theme and art style. Lovely little game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kiranamos posted:

Indian cultural issues continue to be glossed over by most/all of the board game community. Holi and Jaipur are ok all things considered. Rajas has a random Kali dice holder for reasons. The new Cranio Maharaja is one of the worst offenders by far, and you left out Ganesha which is just as bad. There are BGG threads for both if you’re interested.

After playing Rajas I went looking for that because I had a strong suspicion that it wasn't particularly sensitive, and I wasn't surprised to be right. The game is mediocre to boot!

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Admiralty Flag posted:

Didn't see an answer to this and I didn't want it to get lost in the new thread discussion, so I wanted to try asking again; I want to know if it's worth getting Recharged. BTW introduced Power Grid to my wife and daughter a couple of nights ago as "like Monopoly but actually fun", and even though we were a player or two short of optimal it was a big hit.

If you own the original edition, there's no need to buy Recharged. There aren't any big changes in the new box, and the changes to the rules can be easily carried to the first edition if you want.

The list of rules changes can be found here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2182107/recharged-version-rules-changes

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Euro designers treat other religions like it's Smash Bros

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Llyranor posted:

Let's be honest, Smash Bros: World Religions would be absolutely amazing to play.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Llyranor posted:

I could post the Religion Tier List for Europa Universalis 4.

Edit: The two S-tier are Orthodox Christian and Aborigine Alcheringa.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Phelddagrif posted:

If you own the original edition, there's no need to buy Recharged. There aren't any big changes in the new box, and the changes to the rules can be easily carried to the first edition if you want.

The list of rules changes can be found here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2182107/recharged-version-rules-changes

Thanks!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Let's be honest, Smash Bros: World Religions would be absolutely amazing to play.

Invisible Mohammad would be too OP

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Street Fighter: World Religions is a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZcQkbbCw1Q

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
My Hollandspiele order just arrived in Australia! Very excited. Picked up the Field of the Cloth of Gold, Meltwater, Escape From Hades and Nicaea.

Seems like I got one of the copies of Meltwater with yellow discs instead of black. Now that it's out of print I wonder if this makes it even more valuable since it's rare. For real though I think I actually prefer the yellow to black. Pops more on the table and feels radioactive.

Very keen to give tFotCoG a try because I don't have many 2p games that play super quick and it seem alike such a fun puzzle. Nicaea is on the opposite end of that spectrum, looks like it'll be fun with a big group.

Escape from Hades I'm curious about, the rules look like a fairly light wargame, not too many rules but the player aid is 4 pages with one page just dedicated to all the phases. I'll have to get it on the table to see how it actually plays.

I love the boxes that Hollandspiele uses because they are so thin, it's great they really don't take up a ton of shelf space. The cardboard chits also seem pretty good, quite a dense cardboard, I almost thought it was MDF or something when I first got my hands on it. My rulebook for Escape from Hades came with some damage on it, a bit crumpled and it's got some kind of brown stain on the front cover which is a bit disappointing but not a huge deal. The other big thing are the maps for Hades and Meltwater just being folded paper, they are going to be a pain in the arse to get to lay flat, I have a transparent acrylic sheet but I don't think it's big enough, and definitely not for the double map for Hades. I'll have to get another or a bigger one to go with it, kind of a pain. The canvas maps for Nicaea and tFotCoG are nice enough, I don't love or hate them but I'm just glad they aren't folded.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I unexpectedly got to play DUNE (the gale force nine release) and it rocked HARD, that is all :slick:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

The Eyes Have It posted:

I unexpectedly got to play DUNE (the gale force nine release) and it rocked HARD, that is all :slick:

Heckin' YES! Who did you play as, and who won? Was it the full six? G'drat I love dune.

/edit: so as not to be such a one note Dune stan;

Played The Initiative finally this weekend, and had a really really good time with it. It's got such a nice vibe, with an endearingly earnest plot that serves as a great foil to 'creepy shenanigans'.

You essentially role play as characters in a comic (you read before and after each mission) who are themselves, playing a board game that they found at a car boot sale. The board game is about spies, and you have to crack codes, but then 'stuff' starts happening that means there's also a meta-game going on outside of the board game.

The puzzles aren't hard, but you always have a nice "ah-ha!" Moment solving them.

I could absolutely see someone judging it on the quality of the core game loop finding it dull, but the story and meta stuff is all really cool to me, a bit like playing a creepy-pasta or something.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 29, 2021

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?
The Initiative is definitely greater than the sum of its parts - the game, the comic, and the puzzles are each just a little on the side of bland for my taste, but they combine to make such a consistent vibe that I can’t help but be charmed by it.

Brock’s special ability is a little broken though - or at least we’ve abused it heavily and didn’t lose once through the entire campaign.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
New thread.

What's in the box?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

bg 5e, huh

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

extremely well done OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Tekopo brings a Christmas gift of closing this loving thread, happy holidays one and all.