Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Problem description: Weirdest thing my pc ever did. So on Friday night I'm playing some Far Cry 4 and having a blast. I turn my pc off and go to sleep. I wake up on saturday morning and press the power button. Nothing happens. Well, crap. For the next 3 hours I test my pc in various places and configurations - literally nothing helps. I've changed video cards, ram, wall sockets, cables. NOTHING helped, pc was dead. I was pissed off, and I was ready to take it to some repair technicians on Monday.

About 20 minutes ago I was walking by my PC and pressed the power button, (just for fun basically, cause I pressed it hundreds of times before and it didn't help) and my computer turned on without any problems. What the hell. I even turned it off and on again few times just to be sure - and it's still working. I never had any problems like that with my pc before. No overheating, no power problems, nothing.

Does anyone have any idea what just happened? I'm completely stumped.

Attempted fixes: Changing cables, changing wall sockets, taking out RAM and Video Card, cleaning the whole pc, disconnecting everything and leaving only the power cable.

Recent changes: Absolutely no changes in software or hardware.

Operating system: Win 7

System specs:
Nvidia 970 GTX
Intel i5 2320
8gb RAM
1,5 tb HDD
Corsair 650 W
ASUS Motherboard

My PSU and GPU are 2 months old, the rest is 3 years old.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
Sounds like a power supply issue. It might not be enough to support your graphics card at load. It probably didn't turn on the first few times you tried because they tend to internally flip breakers when they power off due to too much power draw. Resetting the power switch on the outside of the PSU usually resets this breaker.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Skandranon posted:

Sounds like a power supply issue. It might not be enough to support your graphics card at load. It probably didn't turn on the first few times you tried because they tend to internally flip breakers when they power off due to too much power draw. Resetting the power switch on the outside of the PSU usually resets this breaker.

There is no way that a 650 W Corsair couldn't handle a 970 GTX, a series of video cards with a really low power consumption. I was able to play on a 770 GTX with no problems on the same PSU, and 770 uses way more power than 970 (even though it's less powerful). Also, I've resetted the power switch literally 40-50 times and it never helped.

edit: PSU is also brand new. I should also add that I never overclocked anything.

edit2: The only thing that comes to mind is that there's some metal part (a screw maybe, some cable) that touches the case sometimes and it causes a grounding short and pc shuts down, but it's not really plausible cause the pc would then sometimes shut down when it's turned on and it never did that. Also I didn't touch the case for few hours before finally mysteriously turning it on so it wouldn't make any sense.

Attention Horse fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 14, 2014

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Well, SOMETHING is wrong with your PC. The symptoms you describe point to the PSU, both in it failing to turn on later and in it happening at load (playing Farcry 4) instead of some non-load time. Since you are on the other side of the world, I can't offer anything more helpful. That the PSU is new doesn't prevent it from being a) faulty or b) inadequate.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

So I was just about to write a post about how you're talking bullshit cause my pc never turned off while being under load (cause I never said that in my first post) but I quickly checked how Far Cry 4 and other games work now and... my pc turned off. It now turns off every time I start a video game, so every time my video card goes into 3d mode, so every time it needs more power, so... yeah. It's probably the PSU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
You did mention you were playing Farcry 4 in your original post, which is a fairly demanding game.

• Locked thread