Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Hey guys. So I'm in somewhat of a unique scenario and also young. So I'm asking advice. I am 23 and work in a design firm an hour away from my home. Today I was offered an infinitely better job in every way that is ten minutes from my home. I accepted. My current company is sending me along with the CEO (I work directly under him) and a co worker to CES Las Vegas in three weeks. Given the time of the Holiday, both my CEO and this Co worker are gone until CES on vacation. I start my new job on January 14th. So Monday would be 3.5 weeks notice. I have never quit a job before in the corporate world and also I sort of feel like this is screwing them. On the other hand it's plenty of notice and I don't feel like spending a week in Las Vegas with my boss who knows I am quitting when we get back. Are there any legal situations I'm breaking? What's the absolute best way to handle this? Do I give a letter to HR first? Thanks for your help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

It's not screwing them, and there are no legal ramifications to worry about. The two week notice is customary but not mandatory. Just put in your notice now and make your last day two weeks from now, not Jan 14th.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I took my current job while on vacation and sent my manager an email that said I am leaving at the end of the month. Worked 4 days when I got back. It is not too complicated. They may even want you to go to ces still, who knows.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Just give them notice and tell them you are sick of the commute. It is a valid and common reason for quitting a job.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Keep in mind that if you give notice, your current employer can tell you to pack your things that day. So if you need a steady paycheck, might want to give the minimum expected 2 week notice before quitting.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Elephanthead posted:

Just give them notice and tell them you are sick of the commute. It is a valid and common reason for quitting a job.

You don't need to give them a reason.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

You don't need to give them a reason.

Yeah there's no reason to even give a reason.

The HR people or website will usually have a guide on what steps you need to resign your position.

Obvious advice, make sure your don't burn your bridges.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Make sure to keep those bridges intact by being a weirdo who doesn't talk to anyone. Exit interviews are a trap to make you incriminate yourself.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

This is all good advice. Thanks everyone. My CEO and manager who I report to (small company) are both on vacation for a while, so that will be a fun way to kick it off for them.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
It's not that big of a deal that some junior doesn't go to CES. They'll find another one of you familiar with x project or they will be briefed and limp along just fine. Tell them you accepted a great offer and they will probably not just be understanding but happy for you.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
yeah dude people move around all the time and not that you weren't great but if you were really going to be putting them in a bind you would be asking us if you should take the counteroffer, now how to leave.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Update -

Broke the news today after getting my offer letter. My CEO became a child and cancelled my CES trip, and doesn't want to talk to me ever again. My last day is on the 9th. Works for me!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sounds like a great guy... Congrats on the new gig.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tim Whatley posted:

Update -

Broke the news today after getting my offer letter. My CEO became a child and cancelled my CES trip, and doesn't want to talk to me ever again. My last day is on the 9th. Works for me!

One more reason why it was a good idea to jump ship and take a new offer.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Tim Whatley posted:

Update -

It's pretty common for bosses to act like that for whatever reason. Often you feel like you must have caught AIDS or something as other co-workers start to act weird around/avoid you etc. Your real buddies will keep in contact though. Actually sometimes when someone leaves it can start a chain-reaction of resignations as other people just say 'gently caress it' and move to greener pastures as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Neif posted:

It's pretty common for bosses to act like that for whatever reason. Often you feel like you must have caught AIDS or something as other co-workers start to act weird around/avoid you etc. Your real buddies will keep in contact though. Actually sometimes when someone leaves it can start a chain-reaction of resignations as other people just say 'gently caress it' and move to greener pastures as well.

This is true. I chained off 6 people when I left my last job.

• Locked thread