Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

So, I've been fixing up broken/untested consoles lately. I've noticed that over 50% of these consoles have a loose, or solder fouled power plug assembly.

Be careful out there, gamers. Don't rake your loving consoles across the room by the plugs! Also, learn soldering because you can fix poo poo so stupidly easy if you're not a giant retard.

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
here's the official guide to not being a retard and learning how to solder:

http://mightyohm.com/files/soldercomic/FullSolderComic_EN.pdf

it's honestly pretty great

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

actually, a good sign of quality craftsmanship is to swing a console by its power cord. if it stays attached after 20 seconds of full swinging, it is a good console. i recommend doing this in a room with a lot of things in it, such as glass windows, vases, dishware, big screen televisions and infants

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Mr. Pumroy posted:

actually, a good sign of quality craftsmanship is to swing a console by its power cord. if it stays attached after 20 seconds of full swinging, it is a good console. i recommend doing this in a room with a lot of things in it, such as glass windows, vases, dishware, big screen televisions and infants

Stop ruining my overhead!

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

How to be good at soldering: 1. Use flux. 2. Use less than you think you need to because you're probably globbing way too much on.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I bought a "broken" Sega CD from a thrift store a few years ago that just had a blown capacitive resistor near the power assembly. Snipped it off, soldered in a fuse holder, and popped in an equivalent fuse to fix it. Now I can play Sonic CD and Lunar. :)

Dec 26, 2012

i should get into fixing these once i get a soldering station back online

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

i grabbed the bit between the handle and tip once because i was about to drop the iron because i'm shaky

don't do that

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
question: how does one solder without getting cancer from the lead fumes

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Extra posted:

gee i dunno proper ventilation??!?! mayhaps!??

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Extra posted:

it's like diving, you just hold your breath until you're done

that's why it's important to practice soldering

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

it's like diving, you just hold your breath until you're done

that's why it's important to practice soldering

"how do you not get cancer from breathing too much fumes"

"duhhhh do it even more"

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

elf help book posted:

"how do you not get cancer from breathing too much fumes"

"duhhhh do it even more"

it's immunization, like how characters in RPGs get immunized by being hit until they're immune

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Doctor Goat posted:

it's immunization, like how characters in RPGs get immunized by being hit until they're immune

wow.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
you should really have a method of dispersing fumes from soldering though, it is very stupid to huff lead/rosin.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

i dont have ventilation so im going to die early win!!!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Swelter Discharge posted:

i dont have ventilation so im going to die early win!!!

dying is life's ultimate win, really

Dec 26, 2012

Extra posted:

dont hold your head right above the plume of smoke and dont solder in an enclosed space without some sort of venting

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Doctor Goat posted:

no wonder characters in rpgs are so autistic

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Also I don't think lead poisoning causes cancer so if you're only worried about cancer it shouldn't be an issue.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I thought this thread was called console care spa and was interested in seeing pictures of a 3ds getting a pedicure

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Doctor Goat posted:

that's called death

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Mr. Pumroy posted:

that's called death

Dying is the best way to prevent getting sick.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i had frog cast on me too many times

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

OP how likely is it that a power surge would damage an older console compared 6 newer hardware with better power supplies?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Your PS2 is full of spiders.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Eye of Widesauron posted:

OP how likely is it that a power surge would damage an older console compared 6 newer hardware with better power supplies?

lol nice name

I am honestly not sure but I would assume the newer gen consoles have PSU failsafes. Even still your ac adapter might just die instead.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
lol if you

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Cyra posted:

lol if you

If you what?!?!?!?!

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I tested if my broken Xbox was getting power by touching two leads with a screwdriver and learned why we were told not to use that method to find out if something was live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I tested if my broken Xbox was getting power by touching two leads with a screwdriver and learned why we were told not to use that method to find out if something was live.

lol this is why I own a multimeter

• Locked thread