Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
red mammoth
Nov 3, 2011

Stupid sexy Stalin!

Music: Pressure Cooking

Krysmphoenix posted:

The Game
Always Sometimes Monsters is a game created by Vagabond Dog in May of 2014. I bought this game on a whim based on it's premise alone. Always Something Monsters is a game about living paycheck to paycheck, trying to earn enough money to fight for that slim chance at love and redemption. The choice between doing the right thing and doing the easy thing becomes harder as desperation settles in. And in the end, we might not be the hero of this story.

Oh, and a quick message from this game's Steam page

Always Sometimes Monsters has content dealing with racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, mental health, sexual assault, child abuse, animal abuse, drug abuse, and suicide.

While this game doesn't approve or glorify any of these things, it does use them for dramatic effect. I'm pretty sure goons are mature enough to handle these, but if you are easily offended or disturbed by real life struggles such as these, then please back out of this thread. This is not the game for you.

The LP
This is an audience driven LP. Almost every choice is up to you goons, the only ones I choose for you are trivial and won't change anything. I will not go back on any choices, except for those that lead to an early ending. Also, I am disallowing ALL spoilers and the use of spoiler tags. If you wanna talk spoilers, please create a thread in the Games subforum and discuss it there. If you make a thread, I'll even link it here.

I'm going to also reserve my own judgment on this game. It has a lot of good parts and a fair amount of bad parts, some of which were preventable. My goal here is to present this game to you as is. When the game is done, I'll talk about some of the other possibilities of the game, and speak up on my own opinions.

The Soundtrack
The music for the game was done by Laser Destroyer Team, and have released the entire soundtrack on Bandcamp. You can also download the soundtrack as optional DLC for the game. For simplicity I'll be linking to the Bandcamp page so please enjoy the music over there.
Krysmphoenix had to take a break from their Always Sometimes Monsters LP in order to focus on school. They have given me permission to continue it. Here is a link to the original LP.
Here are their updates, condensed into a single post:

The Prologue

Read it before you read my updates, or you might be a bit confused. I'll be using the same characters the last thread picked out.

The protagonist, Destiny, a budding writer:

Her girlfriend, Isabel:

The thread is still audience-participatory. You'll be voting on some of the important and not-so-important choices our heroine will have to make. Don't screw up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red mammoth
Nov 3, 2011

Stupid sexy Stalin!
DAY 1, PART 1

Music: Dreamin'

Here we are in our apartment, one year after that eventful party. Things have changed quite a bit since then. For starters, we're sleeping in a single bed, and Isabel is nowhere to be seen.

We hear a knocking at the door, but we don't exactly jump out of bed to answer it. Somebody slides an envelope under the door.

In this system there can be no right or wrong.

We finally manage to drag ourselves out of bed.

: poo poo! Looks like my Peeble Sleep Monitor got reset. I gotta get to sleep when this thing tells me to! I was half way to earning my One Month Circadian Master Sleep-chievement. Let me just cycle through the modes and reset this thing.

Day 1. The dawn of a new era, at least for our sleep schedule.

: There we go, all set! They say the longest journey starts with a single step.

Home sweet home. Hey, we've got a dart set! Not everybody can say that. Let's have a look around.

Examining the dirty laundry on the floor:

: Dirty clothes are the least of my concern right now.

Checking out our dresser:

: I've been wearing the same clothes since college. Why change now?

We've got a bookshelf, too:

: A bunch of old dusty books I'll never read.

This place seems a bit depressing so far. But all is not lost.

If this keeps up, we'll have no trouble paying this month's rent. Let's see how well-stocked our fridge is.

: Nice! I've still got some of those Pizza Pouches left!

: Cooking Directions: Place in microwave for 2 minutes. Let cool for 30 seconds. Sure beats eating them frozen!

Lastly, let's check out the poster we have hanging on the wall.

I've gotten posters for different indie games in other playthroughs. Maybe it's affected by your actions in the prologue, or maybe it's randomly generated.

Well, we've put it off long enough. Let's check our mail.

: It's always something, isn't it?

: Well, at least I've got a job for today.

After grabbing our stuff, we head out the door.

Now that we've left our apartment, let's check out the pause screen.

Seems like Isabel isn't gone from our mind, wherever she is.

At last, we can finally save. Some interesting stats there, though I'm not sure what all of them mean. As you can see, our financial situation is pretty dire.

Let's check out our inventory.

The journal pages are all blank, at least for now.

What kind of a name is Darkeff, anyway?

Before we go to work, let's do a little voyeurism.

In the apartment next door, sex.

In the next apartment over, weed. Seems like everyone on this floor is having a good time except for poor Destiny. And maybe that old lady over there. She's been poking around over there for quite a while now.

Music: Another Date at the Hardware Store

: Excuse me, Mrs. Tewilager!
: Oh, pardon me Destiny, am I in your way? I got so distracted looking through my purse for my little calendar.

: I know exactly what you mean, there's never enough time to do everything you want to. Heck, I don't even have enough time to pay my rent these days. I seriously think I'm done for this time.
: Where's your... roommate?
: Things uh... Didn't work out... It's just me now...
: That's a real shame, you're such a good kid. Tell you what, if you need some money, why don't you come by my place later today? I'm hosting a little get-together tonight and the place needs to be spotless.

: Thank you for the offer, I can use all the help I can get.
: Well, you know where to find me. Just come by any time today. Don't wait too long though or I'll get it all done by myself! Have a good day, Destiny.

She goes into her apartment, and we take the elevator down. We'll have to keep her offer in mind for later.

Sure is dark down here.

: Cheap rear end landlord! That light's been a problem for months.

: I might be able to slip out of here undetected.

Right, let's see if we can Solid Snake our way out of here.

Apparently not. Hopefully Destiny knows her CQC...

Music: Gas Leak

: You really think I wouldn't notice you just because the lights are off?! I had that "Clap on, Clap off" thing installed last week!

: You're in a lot of trouble, punk! You're a whole month late on your rent and I'm not in the business of sheltering deadbeats. Are you going to pay me what you owe or am I going to have to toss your rear end out to the curb?

: I just need some time. I've been waiting on a cheque from my publisher. As soon as it arrives, I can pay you!

: Look, the cheque's going to be here soon. It's got to be here soon. Just give me until when the mail's been delivered, okay?
: I don't care how many tricks you gotta turn out to pay. You're out of time, hood rat! Pay me $500 by the end of the day or you can consider yourself officially homeless. In fact, you know what? Hand over your key right now! You can get it back from me when you pay your bills!

This guy's dialogue varies slightly depending on your race and gender. Yeah, he's a dick.

: I know you've got it in your pockets!

Time for you guys to make a choice. All our previous dialogue choices for today didn't really matter. Mrs. Tewilager would have offered us the job no matter what, and none of our excuses would have placated the landlord. This choice does have an effect. Do we hand over our key, or do we make a run for it?

red mammoth fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 30, 2014

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

My bet is if we run for it we can kiss our apartment and everything in it goodbye even if we manage to get $500 somehow by the end of the day. Give him the key.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Run. Dude has legal hoops to jump through before he can do poo poo.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Thanks for starting this up again. As I told Red Mammoth, I made the terrible choice of starting an LP right as my schoolwork picked up unexpectedly. Still, I really like this game and can't wait to see what poo poo you goons make happen in here.

And since I'm not running it, I can vote too! I'll mostly vote for the opposite of being a reasonable person doing what I did on my playthrough. Which for now means run away! :derp:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Give him the key. He sort of does have a point and why would you want to run? He knows where you live anyway.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
Give key to jerk is probably wiser. Let's try not to go spiralling into irreversible tragedy this early in...

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 30, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Run away!

In the opening the framing story is that two people are being held up with a gun while the guy tells this story. Does it ever go back to that?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good to see this coming back again!

I say give him the key.We've looted our apartment and there isn't going to be money magically showing up in there.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

We've clearly been dodging him for a month already, so why would it suddenly hurt to Run away!?

red mammoth
Nov 3, 2011

Stupid sexy Stalin!
All right, the votes are tied 4 - 4. Next vote is the deciding one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Give him the key.

• Locked thread