Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Baker
Dec 4, 2013
I hear it a lot on TV and would really like to try it and not from some Google search but from real Americans who like cooking, who also might be a bit Goony.
What cut of meat?
What do you cook it in?
What do you serve it with?
Top tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
:effort: This is a simple lazy pot roast, no high cuisine here.

My preferred basic Pot Roast is a Chuck Roast, cooked in the slowcooker for as long as possible.

A rub of salt/pepper/paprika is standard, with some cayenne pepper if you're feeling adventurous.

A mix of cut up potatoes, carrots, onion, and garlic join the roast in the crock pot along with enough water to cover it all. Preferably, start it on Low right before you go to bed, and it will be fall-apart perfect in time for dinner.

The Baker
Dec 4, 2013
Sounds pretty simple. Your using I guess what I would call a pressure cooker, a stand alone piece of equipment, I would be using a Dutch oven in a regular oven, what temperature would you use? I'm guessing about 100 degrees Celsius.
I was surprised to find you use water in the recipe, purely from my own misconceptions. When I hear roast I think dry heat. Also I think the basic method, what you would use every day is much better, I'm not looking for any fine dining here.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
The General Questions thread - for quick questions, recipe requests, help.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Pot roast can be delicious. You are hopefully in for a treat. Yup, it's a wet method instead. Hence the name. You take a roast, but you put it in a pot. Pot. Roast.

I also use a Dutch oven for making mine. What KlavoHunter is referring to is not a pressure cooker though. A slow cooker is a specific appliance, also known by the brand name CrockPot.

1) Brown the outside of a big piece of chuck in the bottom of your dutch oven on the stovetop then turn off heat. (canola oil is my go to oil)
2) cut a bunch of celery and carrots into 1 inch pieces and onions into quarters.
3) put those on the bottom of the Dutch oven, then put the chuck roast on top of that.
4) put in 3 bay leaves, and about a tablespoon of dried thyme.
5) Poor in enough beef broth to come up about 1/3 of the way on the roast.
6) cook in the oven with the lid on at 225 for about 4 hours (or until the meat is very tender, but not actually falling apart/shredding)
7) Taste resulting liquid for seasoning

I usually just serve this with its broth straight over boiled potatoes, but you can also thicken the broth with some butter/flour mixture, or however you want really. If you want, you can also take the lid off about halfway through cooking, making sure to submerge the meat most of the way. This allows it to cook down the liquid a good bit, for a more concentrated broth.

Edit: Yes. The general questions thread would have been ideal for this.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

The Baker posted:

Sounds pretty simple. Your using I guess what I would call a pressure cooker, a stand alone piece of equipment, I would be using a Dutch oven in a regular oven, what temperature would you use? I'm guessing about 100 degrees Celsius.
I was surprised to find you use water in the recipe, purely from my own misconceptions. When I hear roast I think dry heat. Also I think the basic method, what you would use every day is much better, I'm not looking for any fine dining here.

A pressure cooker and a slow cooker aren't the same thing. They're practically opposites.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The Baker posted:

"Pot roast" is a term used by Americans to describe a large cheap cut of meat (often beef shoulder, beef rump, or pork shoulder) cooked at low heat with liquid and seasonings. The liquid is hopefully stock or broth with maybe some wine, but many Americans are bad at cooking so it's often simply water. Typically a slow cooker is used, which is a stand alone kitchen appliance that sits on the counter. An average pot roast dinner will be started in the slow cooker on the "low" setting when the cook goes to work and will cook for 8-10 hours, leaving a large and hot meal when the cook arrives home.

I don't think most ovens are reliable at the temperature range used on a slow cooker's "low" setting (90-100 Celsius), but the "high" setting tends to be around 100-125 Celsius. The ranges are due to different slow cookers working in different ways and having different temperatures.

Doom rooster's recipe is a good example of a pot roast done in the oven, but note that his recipe is in Fahrenheit and not Celsius!

The Baker
Dec 4, 2013

Doom Rooster posted:

Pot roast can be delicious. You are hopefully in for a treat. Yup, it's a wet method instead. Hence the name. You take a roast, but you put it in a pot. Pot. Roast.

I also use a Dutch oven for making mine. What KlavoHunter is referring to is not a pressure cooker though. A slow cooker is a specific appliance, also known by the brand name CrockPot.

1) Brown the outside of a big piece of chuck in the bottom of your dutch oven on the stovetop then turn off heat. (canola oil is my go to oil)
2) cut a bunch of celery and carrots into 1 inch pieces and onions into quarters.
3) put those on the bottom of the Dutch oven, then put the chuck roast on top of that.
4) put in 3 bay leaves, and about a tablespoon of dried thyme.
5) Poor in enough beef broth to come up about 1/3 of the way on the roast.
6) cook in the oven with the lid on at 225 for about 4 hours (or until the meat is very tender, but not actually falling apart/shredding)
7) Taste resulting liquid for seasoning

I usually just serve this with its broth straight over boiled potatoes, but you can also thicken the broth with some butter/flour mixture, or however you want really. If you want, you can also take the lid off about halfway through cooking, making sure to submerge the meat most of the way. This allows it to cook down the liquid a good bit, for a more concentrated broth.

Edit: Yes. The general questions thread would have been ideal for this.

Great I'm going to try this, I like simply boiled potatoes with a good sauce, I always have a good second boil stock in the freezer that I think would be perfect for my first try ( no packet stock for me on my first American dish) I have many other American recipes I want to learn about so I will absolutely use the general question section next time.
Just to make sure, your temps are in Celsius not Fahrenheit?

The Baker
Dec 4, 2013

guppy posted:

A pressure cooker and a slow cooker aren't the same thing. They're practically opposites.

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm kind of a purist in my own little cooking world, I except we have ovens and stove tops but anything other than that seems like cheating to me, goes as far as using arrow rout or gelatine, If I don't boil my own pigs head I wont be using gelatine, I can use flour but not corn flour, the list goes on with only a few exceptions, I don't know why I have these things but it just doesn't seem like cooking to me otherwise... The only thing I can think of which I use corn flour for as a preferred ingredient is crème patisserie.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yup, definitely F, not C! 110 C would probably be just about right. You want it to be a nice light simmer in the oven, not boiling.

I can definitely appreciate anyone's cooking "quirks" like you mention. I'm typically a fancy pants purist most of the time. For some reason though, pot roast doesn't fall under that for me. That's probably just American nostalgia though. Growing up eating cheap beef, boiled in cheap broth powder, undersalted, served over plain unpeeled boiled potatoes. It was objectively not good food, but man... When it's freezing outside, and you come in from playing out in the snow with your family, and immediately have your mom pour you a big ladle full over steaming potatoes... Unf. That's happiness.

I have made fancy versions of pot roast, with the best ingredients, with extensive technique used to make an objectively better product. It's great! But unnecessary. The crappy low effort version still makes me just as happy.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 30, 2014

The Baker
Dec 4, 2013

Doom Rooster posted:

Yup, definitely F, not C! 110 C would probably be just about right. You want it to be a nice light simmer in the oven, not boiling.

I can definitely appreciate anyone's cooking "quirks" like you mention. I'm typically a fancy pants purist most of the time. For some reason though, pot roast doesn't fall under that for me. That's probably just American nostalgia though. Growing up eating cheap beef, boiled in cheap broth powder, undersalted, served over plain unpeeled boiled potatoes. It was objectively not good food, but man... When it's freezing outside, and you come in from playing out in the snow with your family, and immediately have your mom pour you a big ladle full over steaming potatoes... Unf. That's happiness.

I have made fancy versions of pot roast, with the best ingredients, with extensive technique used to make an objectively better product. It's great! But unnecessary. The crappy low effort version still makes me just as happy.

Yeah I understand the nostalgia my dad would use a jar of bolognaise sauce when I was growing up and it's still today my favourite meal, though he added some stuff himself I can't bring myself to add that, he's passed away now and I cant allow myself to make it his way, it's just got to be a good memory.

My purist traits are not against cheap simple foods, more against fake foods like packet sauce or cubes of stock, though I do have them ready to use and often do day to day, I just try not to, where I'm from food is extremely expensive so I have to use cheap yet real food and actually discovered since moving here dried herbs can be pretty good. Lol I have slapped frozen chicken thighs in the oven with cooking red wine, thyme, garlic salt, stock cubes and any veg I have left in the fridge for a easy coq au vin and it's turned out fantastic.
So now I will boil the bones from my left over meat or keep peeling of vegetables frozen to add to stock, anything I can to add flavour cheap.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you actually want the everyday American version, you should really be using a McCormick packet . . .

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

"Pot roast" is a term used by Americans to describe a large cheap cut of meat (often beef shoulder, beef rump, or pork shoulder)
Where have you ever heard pot roast used to mean pork?

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
In terms of technique, making a pot roast isn't fundamentally different from making braised lamb shanks. You are slow braising a tougher cut of meat with some liquid in a covered pot or dutch oven.

Chuck roast... can you even get a chuck roast in Europe? I don't know where you are in Europe, but chuck is often cut into flatiron steaks, or sold as stew meat. Chuck roasts aren't even common in Canada, for whatever reason.

If you want an everyday American version, you could also use Campbell's Minestrone as your sauce, LOL

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
My preferred method from my youth is:

1. Get the cheapest, toughest cut of beef you can find. If you can't find chuck roast, just ask your butcher for something big and cheap with a fair amount of fat and connective tissue.
2. Sear the outside on high heat. Season with a rub of salt, pepper, paprika, and a little dried parsley and thyme.
3. Fill the bottom of your dutch oven with about 10cm of flavorful liquid. I use a mixture of beef broth and cheap red wine. Add a few glugs of worcestershire sauce, if you have it.
4. Also toss into the bottom of the dutch oven a few roughly chopped onions, several smashed cloves of garlic, chopped carrots, chopped celery, a few bay leaves, and a few generous sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme.
5. Cook (covered!) at somewhere between 100-120C for about an hour per 1/2 kg of meat.

Growing up, we usually served over egg noodles, but as an adult prefer it over mashed potatoes (skin on, lots of garlic!).

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

The way my mom always made it was:

1. Get a chuck roast. Put it in the crockpot. (She never bothered searing it first, that might have made it even better, I have no idea.)
2. Put chopped up potatoes and baby carrots in the crockpot.
3. Cover with brown gravy. (We just used the kind that comes in packets at the grocery, mixed with water as per directions.)
4. Turn the crockpot on low and let that cook all day.

By the time we ate it, it'd probably have been cooking about 10-12 hours, the meat was falling apart and the carrots and potatoes were tender.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Anyone try to make pot roast with shin? Beef shin is used a lot in Chinese cooking for things like 5 spice marinated beef. Its one of the best cuts for slow cooking, with lots of connective tissue.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

ascendance posted:

Anyone try to make pot roast with shin? Beef shin is used a lot in Chinese cooking for things like 5 spice marinated beef. Its one of the best cuts for slow cooking, with lots of connective tissue.

Sure, it's good and usually about half the price of a chuck roast where I live. I think it cooks faster than a big chunk of chuck so watch it so it doesn't get mushy. I leave the bones in and mix the marrow into the pan sauce when it's done. A super easy variant of pot roast I like is don't add any liquid but do add sliced onion, shallots, garlic, carrots, celery and a sliced tomato or two and wrap everything up in foil.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Myron Baloney posted:

Sure, it's good and usually about half the price of a chuck roast where I live. I think it cooks faster than a big chunk of chuck so watch it so it doesn't get mushy. I leave the bones in and mix the marrow into the pan sauce when it's done. A super easy variant of pot roast I like is don't add any liquid but do add sliced onion, shallots, garlic, carrots, celery and a sliced tomato or two and wrap everything up in foil.
Lol, that's just a roast.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ascendance posted:

"Oso buco"

Mom made pot roast with a pork shoulder or butt all the time

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Anne Whateley posted:

Where have you ever heard pot roast used to mean pork?

It's probably a regional thing, but here in Wisconsin I've heard a lot of people call any big piece of pork, beef, or venison in a slow cooker a "pot roast". Often times if it's not beef the type of meat will also be stated, as in "venison pot roast".

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Megathreads are awful.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

"Oso buco"

Mom made pot roast with a pork shoulder or butt all the time
Osso Buco is a straight up stew, though. The pieces of meat, though bone in, are still kind of small.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Last time I made a pot roast I added about a tablespoon of grey poupon to my broth. It was loving delicious. I also added button mushrooms the last half hour-hour and then reduced the gravy a bit on the stove top.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

By the way, waxy potatoes are better than starchy if you're cooking them in with the meat because they'll hold their shape better.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Protip: add a little soy sauce, worcestershire or balsamic vinegar to the sauce/gravy at the end. Same goes for beef stew or gravy, anything deep and meaty. gg glutamates!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Or some mashed anchovies, just remember to nudge back your usual salting if you use them.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

And tomato paste!

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

A nice pot roast is delicious, I like to brine my pot roasts before I slow cook them. Water, salt, honey or brown sugar, black peppercorns, and herbs, with the meat soaking in it overnight. A potential pitfall is that some of the salt will leak back out with the meat juices, making it easy to get your pot liquid way too salty. Consider using less salt than normal for a brine, and/or giving the meat a quick rinse before cooking.

If you're using a crock pot, always use the low setting. In my experience the high setting is always a bit too hot, and leaves the meat tasting dry even though its been braising in liquid.

I am also really not a fan of the standard method of slow cooking all your vegetables with the meat. I add some onion, carrot, and celery to add flavor to the pot, but after 10 or 12 hours of cooking they're not great eating, I toss them when they're done. Roast up more carrots with a little oil and seasoning or something, and actually enjoy them. Mashed potatoes and gravy is the perfect companion to pot roast, boil up your potatoes separately and use the pot roast liquid to make a gravy. Bake some fresh fluffy dinner rolls to go with it and you have the platonic ideal of a classic American dinner.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Could OP give us a report on how his experiments in pot roast went?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
Lamb pot roasts are truly the best lazy mans food. I usually do:
a couple pounds of lamb leg. (Feeds 4 for 2 meals easy) Cut the fat off or don't. Your call...
a can or so of chopped tomatoes
a quartered onion
a bunch of quartered potatoes
a bunch of halved carrots.
Vegeta (Available everywhere these days)
Paprika
Fennugreek
Cumin
Cayenne
Black Pepper
Juniper berries (Crushed but not ground)
Red Wine to cover. Lots of it. Preferably something sweet and lovely. A Carlo Rossi 2014 or Boone's 2015 should answer. If you can buy a 2016, do it. Again, you're looking for sugar here, not quality. Young and lovely...

This process takes about 5-10 minutes before you go to bed.

Throw that mofo in the oven at 225f. You just want it to catch a boil after a few hours in the oven.
Turn it down to 200 when you get up in the morning and leave it to steep in the oven until you get home from work. The meat will shred at this point so you won't be cutting pieces off.

Be warned, your house will be quite fragrant when you get home. Push out the marrow first and stir into the mixture. Serve over rice with saffron. Enjoy the lamb-y-ness and grease.

You can reduce the cook time to 4 hours if you bring the mixture to a boil on the stovetop first and then chuck it in a 225f oven for about 4 hrs. The meat will not shred that well though, you will have to cut it.

• Locked thread