Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eikre
May 2, 2009
Been playing this lately. Perfect level of difficultly to me. Pretty proud not to have consulted a guide to solve any puzzles or get any leads; only thing I checked was to see if the two non-apparent QR codes were a bug or not. Right now I've got all the sigils and the two endings they open up, plus 29/30 stars. The signs outside of the garden worlds indicate that I have all 27 of the stars that are in them, so tonight I plan to do more base jumping off of the tower. Really hoping the last star isn't in a messenger's abode, because I find something about their worlds' ambiance to be markedly more boring than the rest of the game (and I've already given them a quick glance-over, anyway).

Don't gimme any hints. I'm going to be putting the self-sufficient completion on my mantle, along with the one I managed with Riven.

It's kind of funny going back over the topic and reading about people's "gently caress this puzzle" reactions. Yeah, some of the actions that you're required to discover aren't just nth-level emergent complexities on top of the game vocabulary you already had, but so loving what? The game is really seriously at its best when you're mashing things together to come up with a behavior that's orthogonal to what it's "asking" you for. It's great.

Even prodding around for non-apparent star locations was fine with me, since most of the ones that don't have leading indicators are just a matter of telling the intending solution or boundaries of an area to go gently caress themselves and seeing what kind of crazy poo poo you end up getting into. Like, the game is about as transparent as it can be, without there just being a note from the developers on the loading screen, that you have to stop thinking like a person who is trying to solve puzzles to 110% completion and more like a person who is testing it for bugs. This contrast is apparent with the very first star of the game: If you surmount the first couple obstacles with an eye towards efficiency, then you can wander around with an extraneous jammer trying to employ it towards any sort of advantage and failing. You gotta go totally renegade and throw yourself, like a Quake speedrunner, at incidental level geometry until you get to gently caress off into places that you really quite simply shouldn't be allowed into at all. Even if, like me, you had to leave A1 alone for 2/3s of the game and come back with a fresh perspective, they take plenty of opportunity to direct you down the line of "gently caress your poo poo" thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah, 99% of the stars basically exist to subvert your expectations. It's like you learn this rulebook of tricks of how you're supposed to solve puzzles, and then to get the stars you have to break the rules by sluffing equipment out of puzzles areas/connecting equipment from different puzzles/jumping on poo poo that doesn't look like stuff you should be able to get to/other misc crazy poo poo. It's a fun balance.

Had a lot of companion cube flashbacks, because in any level where I could steal a cube out of a puzzle area I'd just inevitably carry it around with me everywhere I went in the hub hoping to find a use for it. Cubes are friends.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I could've done without the stars in the expansion where you're basically playing chicken with the game's draw distance, though.

• Locked thread