Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I made some maduros/amarillos/fried sweet plantains for a New Year's party tomorrow. They cooked up OK, but the problem is they don't have that delectable caramelized outside - they're just kinda dry outside, kinda like they were baked rather than fried.

I hate to just do nothing with them. Is there something I could do with them to turn them into serving quality? I've already got tostones that are going to be used as finger foods - I'll be making up some ropa vieja to stack 'em onto.

Maybe I could mash them and fry them so we've got sweet tostones too? I'm not opposed to doing that, although I'd love to not have to spend another night over a pan full of hot oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

MJP posted:

I made some maduros/amarillos/fried sweet plantains for a New Year's party tomorrow. They cooked up OK, but the problem is they don't have that delectable caramelized outside - they're just kinda dry outside, kinda like they were baked rather than fried.

I hate to just do nothing with them. Is there something I could do with them to turn them into serving quality? I've already got tostones that are going to be used as finger foods - I'll be making up some ropa vieja to stack 'em onto.

Maybe I could mash them and fry them so we've got sweet tostones too? I'm not opposed to doing that, although I'd love to not have to spend another night over a pan full of hot oil.

Are they nice and chewy on the inside at least? You could brush some honey or something on and broil/fry them a bit to get a crisp layer on there

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Feral Integral posted:

Are they nice and chewy on the inside at least? You could brush some honey or something on and broil/fry them a bit to get a crisp layer on there

They're kinda like mashed potatoes on the inside. I may just try your idea, though - I'll brush honey on and use the toaster oven broiler to get an approximation.

If it doesn't work I'll just warm them up and serve them with queso blanco and guava paste. I tried that last night with the mash/oven bake idea (didn't feel like frying more) and while the bake didn't do much, they made a good combo with the cheese and paste.

• Locked thread