Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Yeah okay, Morte is really good. I love her banter with Kyrie. I'm loving the budding JRPG romance with an apocalyptic twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Morte's pretty amusing plotwise but I really hate the way they hosed up when it comes to her in combat: getting at least 10 hits with your Flurry chain is practically mandatory by the end of the game and she's the only character who can't do that, stopping at 7.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I only ever saw the anime, which was one of those "promo released before the game deals." Pretty much every character seems wildly different so far (in the anime, Morte is very serious, Agan was a trader, Naja is the main Salvation committee presence, etc). Hell, Kyrie's nature as the key to a sand based as apocalypse was the endgame twist in the anime, while Morte was the only real Annihilation Front member.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So, Kyrie's adjusted to this whole situation pretty fast. You'd think he'd be a little more shocked about it and murdering everyone he ever knew, but he's still going for it.

I can see what people meant about this game's tonal issues.

SaitoBatch
Jun 16, 2009

Rodyle posted:

I only ever saw the anime, which was one of those "promo released before the game deals." Pretty much every character seems wildly different so far (in the anime, Morte is very serious, Agan was a trader, Naja is the main Salvation committee presence, etc). Hell, Kyrie's nature as the key to a sand based as apocalypse was the endgame twist in the anime, while Morte was the only real Annihilation Front member.

Well you see it's like this. The anime was garbage. Of course I played the game first so that's why I think that.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The anime is pretty rear end, which I was actually kind of surprised about since Production I.G is usually mediocre at worst.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

The anime had a kickass opening theme song! ...And that was probably its single best feature. :sigh:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

From the little I've seen, the anime was considerably more anemic than the game. SoD's biggest strength are its characters and the anime made them way more unlikable.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...did I actually see "hey baby, want to kill all humans?" as a thing? loving nihilists.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Geostomp posted:

So, Kyrie's adjusted to this whole situation pretty fast. You'd think he'd be a little more shocked about it and murdering everyone he ever knew, but he's still going for it.

I can see what people meant about this game's tonal issues.

Kyrie is pretty much a silent protagonist minus the silent part in the amount of impact he really has overall. About as much personality as one, too.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Meant to do this earlier, but between school and the ENDLESS loving SNOW I've had less free time.

Anyway, last time Morte and Kyrie had just boarded the massive sandgalleon the Zifnir as stowaways, after being stranded in the middle of the Sandsea when their sandriders busted. Sand.

:) In any case, do you kids need anything? I'll sell you something as a special favor.

This guy's also a merchant. I buy a few status curing items, most notably Smelling Salts. A few bosses can cause Stun, and that can easily lead to a party wipe if you don't cure your party as they get stunned.

Something I haven't mentioned before is that you can rotate the camera when in a dungeon. Which is pretty cool; not enough 2D RPGs do that. In town and some other areas the camera angles are fixed, however.

:) Stowaways, huh? Well, this is the end of the line!

He goes down pretty easy. Doesn't give us the key, though.

:siren:*ALARM NOISE*:siren:

They were bound to find us sooner or later. And now they're going to die.

Now that the alarm has started ringing random encounters are turned on in this area.

Most of the rooms up here are locked behind doors.

So we head downstairs.

Lady Rhi'a?

:) If you'd met her, you'd remember. I've only seen her a handful of times, but she's beautiful.

Most fights here aren't terribly dangerous. These guys, the Yojimbo and Bodyguards, are the exception. They're not hard to take down but they can dish out damage if they survive long enough. They also have a chance to drop some equipment, some of which are minor upgrades to what we're currently using.

By far the most important thing in this area, the Cat's Paw is an accessory that if you don't get here you'll never get another chance at it. It doubles the drop rate for items, and as such is something you should pretty much alays have equipped, especially because bosses usually have good random drops.

The issue with it is that it's an item for a character we'll not get for a long time, so it lowers anyone else's Morale. I give it to Kyrie since he's less useful in combat than Morte is.

I also remember to finally equip the Quip Kyrie got last time. This one's pretty decent; if he gets targeted he'll be more likely to survive.

:) Who are you? What are you doing in here? Stowaways, huh? Well, this is the end of the line!

It's another single guard. Not threatening at all.

This is the key we need to progress. But in another room on this floor

What an odd place to find a key.

Yoink!

This one is optional and allows us to get some extra items.

Got into another battle with a Yojimbo and a Bodyguard.

And I got some equipment to drop from them (thanks Cat's Paw!).

The Leather Cuirass has the same defense as the Pastel Suit, but it lacks the Warpaint attribute. Warpaint makes enemies target Morte. Since Kyrie can take a hit now thanks to that new Quip of his, and is less useful offensively, I'd rather enemies target him if possible.

I use the Storeroom Key to unlock various doors and get some items. Nothing particularly special from them, though.

More worthy of note is a Crimson Blade for Morte.

It has more Atk, boosts her strength by 1 (giving her a further boost to Atk) and does fire damage, so it'll do 2x damage to anything weak to fire. A pretty nice upgrade, especially considering it's free.

:) Must've dropped it while I was working down below. Her that, did you? Don't go tellin' Felis Rex on me, okay?

This guy's here to hint you of the Treasure Room Key if you didn't find it already.

We raid the treasure room and get

Purple Amulet prevents poison, Steel prevents knock out. Neither is terrible useful and I don't bother equipping either of them, since I got good accessories on already.

Making it onto the actual deck of the ship, we get into a fight.

These Bodyguards aren't much more dangerous than any of the other enemies despite being the de facto boss of the ship. The only notably thing they do is to boost their attack, which doesn't really come into play since I kill them pretty quickly.

My guess, it's the bridge. Time to commandeer us a ship.

Another fight. Also not a threat.

Yeah, I think so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMVHnEBYXns

I suggest watching this video. The two characters it introduces are pretty great.

All in a day's work. You must be the captain.

I am indeed. Welcome aboard the pleasure cruiser Zifnir. Felis Rex, one of the twelve beastlords, at your service. And you are...?

Felis Rex's voice really reminds me of the voice of Xellos from The Slayers. Also his portrait is weird; not sure what they were going for drawing his eyes like that.

In a hurry. Hand over the ship, and we should get along just fine.

Whoah, Whoah, why the rush? Surely we can discuss this over a cup of tea.

Save the tea. I'm more interested in the ship.

Goodness, yes. Quite frightening, really.

Then we have an understanding?

Ahh, I'm afraid I must decline.

Don't think I'm bluffing.

I wouldn't dare. My whiskers are trembling, I assure you.

Hah! You'll lose a lot more than your whiskers.

That wouldn't do at all. No, I'm inclined to let my associate handle this.

Know how I said Morte is the best? I lied. She's the second best.

Kyrie?!

Freeze. One move, and I shoot.

What the--?!

The stuffed animal talks?

I'd choose my words carefully, boy. I've killed men for less.

Got it, got it.

I said freeze, Beastslayer.

The name from the posters... You a bounty hunter?

A lucky one, apparently. A fat bounty just dropped in my lap. Didn't even have to spill any blood. I've outdone myself.

Oh? You really think I'd let a silly hostage stop me, shortstack?

Rgh...

Now that that's clear, I'll be taking you in.

Why not let me take responsibility for our unexpected guests?

What's your game, cat?

Just a few simple errands, really. I'm quite sure you're up to the task.

Talking business with people who just tried to steal from you?

Well, I'm always open to working with talent, feral or not.

And if I say no?

Doesn't leave us a whole lot of choice, does it? This is extortion.

Oh, not at all! You will be paid quite handsomely, I assure you.

We're to be well-paid slaves, then.

A-And I will compensate the good bounty hunter for the price on your heads. Well, friends?

If that's your wish, the matter's settled.

And you?

As if I had a choice.

Wonderful! Another happy transaction complete.

I would like you to retrieve a sample of silvervine for me.

Is that some sort of plant.

A most extraordinary plant! It grows in only very particular climes. They should have some at Meonne, near Agi Wharfs. Ask for Elephas Rex. He should have a supply on hand.

Well then we'll just go grab all we can carry. Be back in a flash!

What?!

It isn't that I don't trust you, of course. Call it insurance.

Hmph.

(You won't run off from this one that easily, Morte.)

What do you have to say about all this?

Naturally.

Before I go-- Your side arm. I won't be needing it.

Real men have a gun in their heart, not their hand.

Of course. Your display just now more than proves your martial skill.

A martial artist? With moves like that, I had you pegged or a magician.

You already know who I am. This here's Kyrie.

Nice to meet you.

Right. Let's get going.

If this is about that lump on your head, it was nothing personal.

No it's not that. I wanted to apologize. For calling you a stuffed animal, I mean. I didn't mean anything by it.

:stare: Never make that face ever again.

What should I call you?

Most people use my name. Call me Taupy, kid.

Okay, great. Taupy, then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sqrhqg2ogE

This way.

Yoo-hoo! Over here.

Hello there.

Um... hi? Are you with the crew?

Hmm.

You don't have the look of a ship hand. A passenger, then?

Hmmm...

Can I help you?

Come again?

That will complicate things. You'll get hurt.

Right...

Lady Rhi'a!

No need, Mr. Meow.

(Meow? That not his name... is it?)

But there is! What i something were to happen to the last dragonkin-- Ah! K-Kyrie! I didn't see you there. I-I was looking for-- Th-That is to say--

I'm hungry, Meow.

Hm? Oh, of course! Join me for tea, my lady? We really must be going! Safe journey, Kyrie!

What?! Did she just call me Destruct?

Huh? Oh, well, there was this girl, and--

Forget I asked. C'mon! I seriously need a nap.

Gah! No need to drag me!

Next time we arrive at the Agi Whards to procure some silvervine grass.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
So, we get the bear here, interesting. And it seems like the dragons know more about Kyrie than he does himself.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
The great thing about Taupy is that he's probably the simplest character to get up to speed on abusing the flurry system. It's like the developers realize they'd never be able to make the thing balanced, so they just made the awesomest character the best one so nobody would care.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Even his spells are solid.

Oh and you should check the bios. IIRC they should be different now.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Game Rhi'a is cheery? :stare:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Taupy is the best. Both in battle, and just in general. Felis Rex comes pretty close though.

I think I funded the entire operation on Cat's Paw drops. Thing makes equipment rain from the sky, as quickly shown there.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Game Rhi'a is cheery? :stare:

Game Rhi'a is by far the best Rhi'a, though her personality kinda bounces around a bit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Felis Rex's portrait just seems to lack a face. I can't see a mouth or eyes on him. I can see them on his model but not on his portrait.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

MonsterEnvy posted:

Felis Rex's portrait just seems to lack a face. I can't see a mouth or eyes on him. I can see them on his model but not on his portrait.

There's a yellow slit which could just maybe be an extremely narrowed eye, but it doesn't match his sprite at all.

Morte can't sleep without Kyrie, eh? Awful clingy of her.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Oh God, I've watched the anime mentioned in the OP. I had no idea it was connected to a videogame. I had basically forgotten about it until I saw that bear in the intro cinematic, kuma... and the phrase 'World Annihilation Front', though the anime uses 'World Destruction Committee' instead.

Colour me intrigued. I'll have to hang around for this one.

This, exactly. It's kind of funny, since everyone seems to be in agreement that the game is miles better than the show, that the show seems to be more well-known. I saw that bear in the intro and went, "Oh, no loving way."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, that certainly just happened. Looking forward to seeing the bear in action.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Which came first between the game and the show?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Which came first between the game and the show?

Technically the show came out first (In both Japan and the US IIRC) but it's a case where that was done to promote the game, which is the primary thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaitoBatch
Jun 16, 2009
Does Taupy have the same deep voice in the anime like he does the in the game?

• Locked thread