Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 242 days!)

The ideas on this are simple: reasons to justify to yourself, or to others, why you need another car lovely project.

Here are a few of mine:
  • This will be a cheap flip.
  • This will be a good parts car if I don't.. oh hell, might as well just repair it.
  • When am I ever going to find THIS CAR again?
  • I don't have a convertible.
  • I don't have a truck.
  • I don't have an SUV.
  • This would be cheap, and easy- as a DD sedan.
  • This would be cheap, and easy- as a DD SUV.
  • This would be cheap, and easy- for a 20+ year old import.

What are your excuses for purchasing yet another vehicle (excepting drunken craigslist searching)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

• This will definitely be a cheap flip.
  • I won't have to do emissions testing
  • It fits my personality
  • I could use (another) spare car
  • I could use a truck
  • I could use a van
  • I'll just throw a 350 in it - it'll be sooo easy!

blk
Dec 19, 2009
  • Prices are going up and I should get in before I'm priced out (Classic 911s, E30 M3, NSX, soon 240z)
  • Assholes are buying them and I should get in before they're all ruined (Regular E30s, AW11s, soon Miatas, basically anything Japanese with a manual transmission)
  • My wife won't get the hang of driving stick until she does it every day for a couple of months, but I don't want her doing it in my car. Since she just started a new job and impression management is important, it can't be too much of a beater (E46? E36? X-Type or S40 if I want more punishment? EP3, RSX and IS300 are out, see above about Japanese things with sticks).
  • I'd like a comfy commuter beater for the extra 250-500 miles of freeway driving I'm doing each week (E39 and other depreciated luxury cars)
  • We're having a kid and possibly buying a dog in about a year, so I need a family car (TSX wagon, E61)
  • Lightweight sports cars other than Miatas are disappearing, I should get one before they're gone (S2000, Elise)

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
- wife wants a trailer for all the camping we do over the summer.
- kids are getting to big for the Escape.
- the escape is getting worn out.
- its a rust free version of my dream childhood car.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

The rally car is too race car to DD
The wagon is too nice to rally and hoon, the hatch squeaks funny in the rear and the front struts knock after doing recce in it this summer.
I need another impreza so I can hoon around and do non-caged events with and gently caress with turbo poo poo

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm buying a DD, so I won't have to daily the rx-7- need I say more?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
"I just haven't found the right one yet," she said, while searching Craigslist for her next BMW.

Other excuses for buying or searching for BMWs:
- I miss my E28/E36s/E39/E46.
- I still haven't owned a 2002.
- I have a roundel-shaped hole in my heart.
- My life is incomplete without some German pain.
- I will not be happy until I have one again.
- My WRX is too nice to race.
- My Elantra just isn't cutting it.
- "Dash plastics! Superior German adhesives!" Cue muffled sobbing.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
"I still haven't hit my limit before I need a dealer license"

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tires are worn out

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

"My DD is old enough to be a classic, I should get a modern car to be my DD so I can fix it".

Proceeds to buy three more even older cars.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

"im an rear end in a top hat who gets self conscious about his car being cool enough for other people's approval"

e: "this truck is cheap and i can drive it while i fix the car" *proceeds to spend most of the next 9 months fixing the truck*

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I need a big fuckoff M715 because a motorcycle can't haul my dildo collection. :colbert:

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

• I only have one vehicle. If I need work that takes multiple days I have to rent a car, which is expensive... Unlike buying a 2nd car.
  • I want a lightweight Jeep along with my heavy Jeep. Being lightweight it will be good on gas, saving me money.
  • What if this Jeep breaks sometime in the future? I'm being responsible by having another vehicle.
  • Both Jeeps will be parts-compatible, a genius move!

2015 will be the year I really want to but definitely won't be able to get another Jeep.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I have a bucket list of shitboxes to own before I die.

Currently:
  • Panther platform
  • Land/Range Rover of some kind (RRC?)
  • A Jeep product
  • Rotary-engined car
  • UrS4 (came close last year, glad I didn't seal the deal as it has been a brutal moneypit for the new owner - who is an 80s Audi fanboy and already had a hoard of spare parts)
  • Fox body
  • Honda Element
  • Bricknose F-150
  • ST165 Celica
  • AMC Eagle (ideally SX4)
  • Volvo 850
So any of those cars, I have an instant justification for if I should stumble across an example that hits the right mark on the good deal/good car continuum. The idea is that I'll own the car for a few months and then sell it on at a profit/slight loss, never falling in love with the car and sinking thousands into it unlike every other car I've ever owned.

Otherwise, the cars have to be Subarus or some kind of really good deal.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 1, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"If it's poo poo I can make a couch and coffee table out of it's parts"

It's my daily driver now.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Oh its just a little rust.... That's easy!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
"It's got a straight body and is only $200, gently caress it" - the 89 Celica GT I bought on a whim after the owner yelled at me to buy his car as I drove by him in my 86 GTS. It's been sitting in a storage unit in another state ever since, so has now cost me roughly $3k. And literally the only good thing about it is the body.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
$1300 for a 928 how can I lose? The ad says the motor turns freely, must be like new.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
1) Gas mileage isn't that important if you live near work
2) Reliability isn't that important if you live near work
3) Heat isn't that important if you live near work
4) This totally will be awesome and not need everything fixed.
5) I'm a goddamn idiot

tuna posted:

I want a lightweight Jeep ... Being lightweight it will be good on gas, saving me money.

:cawg:

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 8, 2015

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

1) Gotta get something with 4wd so I can take the whole family down the logging roads to the family camping spot in one vehicle
2) The late 90s toyotas were easy to fix!
3) See? We can get one for less than four grand!
4) We've never owned a Truck, don't you want to at least see how it is to own one?
5) We've got the room in the driveway now!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
When I was trying to save up money to replace the engine in the S2000, I briefly looked at a Volvo with a no start condition on the premise of flipping it to pay for the F20.

"This car doesn't run. Better buy another one that doesn't run either!" :downs:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

• Because, I already have the tools and one off knicknacks and crap to fix 9-3's/9-5's.
  • I'M NOT ADDICTED TO SAAB'S I CAN STOP ANYTIME I WANT!

keykey fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 7, 2015

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

"It's got a V8 and AWD and is fast off the line in the rain and I've had one before! I love the ZJ."

"I'm tired of worrying about door dings so I guess I'll buy this wrecked B5.5 for $545 and daily it"

"Well, I guess I'm pretty familiar with B5 Passats by now, and it's only $600..."

The current one is:

"I drive a lot and the E46 and B5.5 both get poo poo mileage. What kind of high-MPG shitboxes can I get for (well) under $1000?"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

2 is 1 and 1 is none. Therefore, by induction, (the number of cars I own) is zero, and I can't get around this town without a car.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
My other car needs a turbo, and is overdue on wheel bearings.

CHITTYBAR
Oct 1, 2010

I'm no turkey-ass doctor, I'm a Turkey ASS Doctor!
Richard Rawlings makes it look easy, I'm sure I can make some money flipping a couple cars!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CHITTYBAR posted:

Richard Rawlings makes it look easy, I'm sure I can make some money flipping a couple cars!

I'm pretty sure I have more success flipping cars than Richard. I think the last ten or so episodes I've seen were either the first part of two-parters or ended on a down note.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
This is tool related but:

If I buy x tool I could use it for other projects! Its the gift that keeps on giving!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"He who dies having owned the most cars, wins."

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

"He who dies having owned the most cars, wins."

I'm at #57. :smugdog:

E:

6 bikes
1 commercial vehicle.

E2: thats in 10 years.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 8, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Does school bus count as commercial?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Only if you haul brats with them.

I want one pretty badly to dice up into a toy hauler.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
It was for me and my drunk friends.... So I will take that as a yes. It had a 413 with a Allison auto. Pretty bad rear end.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My last one was "I could use a truck."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cursedshitbox posted:

I'm at #57. :smugdog:

E:

6 bikes
1 commercial vehicle.

E2: thats in 10 years.

I'm working on it. You and Holdbrooks make it hard to not give in to the auto add.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 242 days!)

keykey posted:

• Because, I already have the tools and one off knicknacks and crap to fix 9-3s/9-5s.
  • I'M NOT ADDICTED TO SAABS I CAN STOP ANYTIME I WANT!

:cawg: You poor, (monetarily) poor bastard.

v- You too.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 9, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

West SAAB Story posted:

:cawg: You poor, (monetarily) poor bastard.

I literally bought another Audi and justified it to my parents by saying I have all the spare parts for Audis and might as well stay within a common platform :smith:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I only own a motorcycle. I just got rotator cuff surgery. I'm only allowed to (read: physically capable of) driving automatic cars for the next four months.

If I had any money to spend....

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

I'm working on it. You and Holdbrooks make it hard to not give in to the auto add.

I'm working on number 40? Hold on brb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

It'll eat you inside and out. You'll lose everything to feed your fix. Friends, Family, Paychecks, Weekend outings with the guys. Soon you'll be sleeping in a car in your buddies yard.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I only own a motorcycle.

me too!~

But thats changing soon

• Locked thread