Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

:reject: Have you owned a game for years, but could never find anyone to play the co-op mode with?

:doh: Have you just bought a co-op game, only to discover that no one plays it anymore?

:hfive: Do you want to play games with goons, without the competition?

:dance: If you answered "yes" to one or more of the above questions, then Co-op Goons is for you!

Co-op Goons is a group on Steam for goons who want to play online co-op games for the PC, especially ones that aren't brand new or popular anymore. For a list of games we've featured, see Co-op Games of the Month below.

:cool: How to Join
First, click here to join the Steam group.

Then, use this thread to organize games, or reach out to people via the Steam group. By joining the group, you might be asked to play co-op games!

:f5: Voice Chat
For voice chat, we are using the CTS Mumble server. Click here for host info.

:pray: Nominating Game of the Month
Every month, we'll feature a new co-op game to play. While you're under no obligation to purchase or play any game of the month, doing so means a higher probability of finding goons to play with, not to mention the opportunity to discuss the game in the thread.

Here's how we'll choose our games of the month:

- Each game of the month will be selected based on nominations in the thread.
- Nominations for the next month can be placed any time during the current month.
- You can nominate multiple games.
- If multiple games are nominated the same number of times, I will choose the winner through some undisclosed means.
- I will announce the newest "game of the month" on the first Friday of the month.

Here's some recommendations for nominating games:

- Pick something cheap (preferably under $10). Cheap games that come in packs of two or more copies are even better.
- Pick older games or lesser known indie titles. Games with currently popular co-op modes don't need to be featured.
- Pick shorter games, preferably ones that feature pop-in-and-out co-op.
- Make sure the game supports online co-op. Split-screen—only won't cut it.

:eng101: Questions & Answers
What games can we play?
Any game with an online co-op mode or co-op–centric gameplay.

Who do I play with, and when?
It's up to you to find goons to play with, and to coordinate schedules with one another. Use this thread or the Steam group to find people who have the game you want to play. You might want to post when you can play it, or what you're hoping to get out of it beforehand (i.e. a quick one-time look v.s. a 100% run).

Can we play non-Steam games?
Sure! While the group is within Steam, feel free to coordinate co-op games outside of it using either this thread of the Steam group.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Co-op Games of the Month

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 3, 2015

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

So, any suggestions for our first game of the week?

EDIT: "Getting your mon" :doh:

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 2, 2015

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I'd love to play Dungeon of the Endless coop. Also, a goon gifted me Bunch of Heroes but its multiplayer scene is dead and I wouldn't mind playing that either. Both games are cheap as poo poo too.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So what does "getting your mon" actually involve.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

HenryEx posted:

So what does "getting your mon" actually involve.

Play enough co-op games with goons to find out!

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
E.Y.E would probably be funny for this

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Oh shitballs, this is a good idea.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

I'd love to play Dungeon of the Endless coop. Also, a goon gifted me Bunch of Heroes but its multiplayer scene is dead and I wouldn't mind playing that either. Both games are cheap as poo poo too.

Dungeon of Endless is pretty cheap right now, and there doesn't seem to be much co-op activity going on in its thread. It might have a barrier to entry, though.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 2, 2015

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

:siren: Co-op Game of the Month for January 2015 :siren:

Bunch of Heroes (NGD Studios, 2011)
Twin-stick arcade shooter
Up to 4 players

Get it on Steam for $4.99 or $14.99 for a 4-pack.

Synopsis:
- Play as one of four characters (five with the free Holiday Pack) to do battle against invading aliens and their Zombie Army™.
- Story mode includes three campaigns, each with three levels.
- Survival mode includes two big maps.
-Time attack is what it sounds like, with the maps from Survival mode.

Co-op Notes:
- Survival mode is the most intense. The story mode is all right to go through with co-op buds, but pretty tedious otherwise.
- Play on the "Hard" or "Insane" difficulties if you want a modicum of challenge.
- All players must be present at the beginning of the game. There is no way to rejoin a game after quitting.
- Get the free Holiday Pack to play as Santa. He comes with a unique weapon.
- Ignore the $0.99 DLC unless you want a new skin for each character.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 3, 2015

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

This month, we'll play Bunch of Heroes.

You might notice that I changed the featured game from a weekly to monthly event. I realized that 52 co-op games in a year is a bit much for most people. Plus, having a featured game doesn't preclude playing plenty of other games.

Also, Adam Bowen and I played Dungeon of the Endless today and it was fun while it lasted. Unfortunately, the game glitched on the 10th level and we had to quit. Apparently, the devs are ironing out a lot right now, so it might be worth checking out again when they fix some things.

Also, we're using the CTS mumble. Link is in the OP.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 3, 2015

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

Hypha posted:

Oh shitballs, this is a good idea.

I wholeheartedly agree

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Adam Bowen posted:

I didn't even know Dungeon of the Endless was Co-Op.

On the subject of the thread I love the idea. Always interested in playing co-op but never do because :effort:.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

nessin posted:

I didn't even know Dungeon of the Endless was Co-Op.

It is, and it's pretty fun!

Granted, I never played the game prior to jumping in with Adam, but I picked things up quickly and we spent a good few hours playing. At one point, Adam lost all of his characters, but could still participate as a "field commander" of sorts by spending/allocating our resources. Eventually, we navigated my surviving character to a replacement for him, though.

The biggest gaps are saving and item-sharing. It sounds like the devs are working on making things more enjoyable, so I'd check it out after they patch some things.

Oh, I played through about half of the story in Bunch of Heroes. It's definitely rough in some places, but I could see it being a real blast with some human companions. The enemies are varied enough, and the special weapons range from "slightly better than the horrible default gun" to "woah, I just summoned a black hole in a swamp." Special moves are weird and don't really help all that much.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 3, 2015

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hypha posted:

holy shitballs

:what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

So, is anyone down for a game of Bunch of Heroes this weekend? I've played a couple hours myself, and it's great for just casually picking up and playing.

• Locked thread