Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

One of my cats just won't stop pooping next to the litter box. It started over a year ago. Whenever I'd go on long trips and come back, there'd usually be poop next to the litter box. I was okay cleaning that up, but it slowly started to get more frequent. In the past year or so, it's been happening almost once a day. He's even done it while I was in the same room (followed by a chase with a water bottle). He still pees in the litter box... He just doesn't like pooping in it.

The cat:

The poop:

Here's the list of things I've tried/have happened:
Took him to a vet, gave them said poop (Found nothing wrong, said he probably just didn't like the litter box)
Removed the top off the tall, covered litter box
Added a new, shorter litterbox
Added another litterbox for the hell of it
Tried soft, non-clumping litter (Don't remember the brand -- it was like a gerbil nest)
Tried Cat Attract litter
Tried a few different brands of regular clumping litter (Arm & Hammer, Tidy Cats, local store brand, Fresh Step -- which I usually purchase)
Tried scooping them out daily (I usually clear them every other day)
Tried completely cleaning the litterboxes with some enzyme cleaner then regular cleaner then putting in fresh litter
Got another cat, for a total of 3 (this didn't cause a change in the pooping schedule, not that I expected it to)
Moved to a different apartment (also didn't cause a change)

He poops next to all the litter boxes. He's not married to a certain one. I have three litter boxes total, and three cats. He's really attached to me, but this happens when I'm home all day too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Litterbox math is usually Cats+1, so try adding 1 more box to bring the total up to 4. Make the new one the very low covered kind, or DIY it like this http://petprojectblog.com/archives/cats/make-your-own-cat-litter-box/ with the entrance hole rather low to the ground, but the entrance only big enough for one cat. If they don't like that, cut the entrance bigger. Clean the poo spot with Nature's Miracle Odor and Stain remover. Good luck!

karkinos
Jan 3, 2015
How old is your cat? Eleven is considered old enough for cats to develop senile dementia, although they can occasionally develop it earlier, and one of the most irritating side-effects is improper defecation. Even if he is not old enough to have developed dementia, other neurological conditions can impact their ability to determine where they are.

Frankly, if all the precautions you've taken haven't worked already, he is either suffering from a neurological condition or a little disease I like to call "being a huge dick", because the only other explanation is unresolved aggression. Typically, when cats elect to poo poo on top of the litter and not cover it, it is a direct confrontational tactic used to intimidate other cats (or, in some cases, people). Defecating outside the litter box without a present condition is exceptionally aggressive behavior and is usually only parceled out in times of extreme stress. Presuming this is the explanation, changing the type of litter and adding another cat might have exacerbated the situation.

In either of these cases, typically the only solution is to pay more attention to him, which may not be an attractive prospect based on the fact that he shits in your house like a mental patient that is trying to have his recreation privileges revoked. Dementia is often cooled by changing their environment (taking them for walks, changing furniture), and aggression is soothed by the exact opposite (timed meals, scheduled grooming).

Check the symptoms for dementia before getting him evaluated for it, since most of the "routine" tests run the gamut of x-rays and blood tests, which depending on your area, are wildly expensive.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Actually I had pretty much the exact same problem. My cats anal glands were full-to-bursting. The vet expressed them and she's been making GBS threads in the box since.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

I'm not sure where I'll add another litter box, but if you think 4 might do it... I'm definitely willing to try it. I bought that exact brand of odor & stain remover, so I guess I'll vacuum the area then hose it down with that stuff.

karkinos posted:

How old is your cat? Eleven is considered old enough for cats to develop senile dementia, although they can occasionally develop it earlier, and one of the most irritating side-effects is improper defecation. Even if he is not old enough to have developed dementia, other neurological conditions can impact their ability to determine where they are.

Frankly, if all the precautions you've taken haven't worked already, he is either suffering from a neurological condition or a little disease I like to call "being a huge dick", because the only other explanation is unresolved aggression. Typically, when cats elect to poo poo on top of the litter and not cover it, it is a direct confrontational tactic used to intimidate other cats (or, in some cases, people). Defecating outside the litter box without a present condition is exceptionally aggressive behavior and is usually only parceled out in times of extreme stress. Presuming this is the explanation, changing the type of litter and adding another cat might have exacerbated the situation.

In either of these cases, typically the only solution is to pay more attention to him, which may not be an attractive prospect based on the fact that he shits in your house like a mental patient that is trying to have his recreation privileges revoked. Dementia is often cooled by changing their environment (taking them for walks, changing furniture), and aggression is soothed by the exact opposite (timed meals, scheduled grooming).

Check the symptoms for dementia before getting him evaluated for it, since most of the "routine" tests run the gamut of x-rays and blood tests, which depending on your area, are wildly expensive.

He's 5½. He definitely does not like the other cats, even though he's been with my black cat since he was a kitten (the black cat was a former stray and was already 2 years old or so by the time I got Mr. Carpet Shitter). Though they've never really gotten along that well, he didn't do this floor making GBS threads thing for the first 2 years or so that I had him. He started it while I was at my last apartment (and I had been there for a few years), and I don't remember any changes... It just started happening infrequently one day and steadily got more frequent. Could be not long after my girlfriend moved in...? My memory is bad. When I asked her, she wasn't sure either.

He is really close to me... Like he's at the door every time I come home and will run around and follow me. He's usually in the same room I'm in. When I made this thread, he was actually curled up on my lap. Almost every night I fall asleep with him between my legs. We actually make a lot of jokes that he's gay for me. I dunno about taking him out for walks, but I used to take him with me when I went driving sometimes, and he seemed to like it (or he was terrified but found me comforting...?). Maybe I'll try to do that some more.

Just looked up cat anal glands. I would think the vet would have noticed that when I brought him in...? If this other poo poo doesn't work, maybe I'll ask the vet about it, though. Thanks for the suggestions.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

*shrug* vet never looked at my cats anal glands until I went into the vet saying she shat next to the box. He says they were pretty impacted and would probably need to be re-expressed within a few weeks. Sure enough, poo poo on the ground last night. Back to the vet today and they expressed them again, got a good wad out. I'll let you know if she goes back to the box tonight. It's a pretty easy solution if it's the problem, I would recommend trying it first, because it will save you a lot of time and trouble. If it's not the problem, try more boxes/switch litter/run tests.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
You can have a feel back there for full anal glands if you're feeling brave. Google it.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
To me, that poop looks really dry. My cat did the same when he was constipated. Gave him a 1/8th tsp of miralax in his wet food and that helped.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

my grandpa used to do this all the time and another litterbox solved it

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Anal glands squished, cat making GBS threads in box again. Success on my end.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Echeveria posted:

Anal glands squished, cat making GBS threads in box again. Success on my end.

Hoorj! Did you do it yourself or did the vet do it?

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Vet did it. I asked them to show me how and they said no >:(

I should figure it out though.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Echeveria posted:

Vet did it. I asked them to show me how and they said no >:(

I should figure it out though.

That's hosed up. That's one thing every intermediate level pet owner should know how to do, in my opinion. I mean, if they are obviously infected or painful, that's a vet level problem. But the groomer at PetSmart will do it for ten bux. Heck, I used to do it (gently, external manipulation) for clients for dog walks if they asked me, and I just did it for tips. It's not tough or dangerous to do, it's just gross and smelly.

\/\/ There's a risk if you try to pop them like a zit, or force 'em. Just be sensible. You seem to have it all under control. Good luck!\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

"There is a risk of rupturing the glands"

I guess they were doing internal manipulation, which I'd never do, but seriously. It's ok though, I googled a video. Gloves, gauze, gently squeezing. I can do that.

• Locked thread