Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Problem description: I am trying to connect my Brother MFC-7820N to my PC over the network. Both printer and PC have a wired connection to a Buffalo AC-1750 router running DD-WRT. I first noticed the problem when I attempted to print a coupon last night (which I was thus unable to use :arghfist: ) and the printer remained asleep. Windows reported the printer was connected and listed the status of the print job as spooling. The printer makes excellent copies so I'm certain it's not an issue related to a paper jam.

Attempted fixes: I used the control panel to remove and re-add the printer. I downloaded a Brother Net fix tool, I downloaded a Brother driver removal tool. I downloaded the full suite of Brother drivers, which claims I am out of disk space and must free up at lest 40MB to install the drivers. I downloaded the driver only edition from Brother, and it also fails miserably.

Recent changes: No recent changes except my attempts to fix the problem.

Operating system: Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

System specs: Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3, AMD Phenom II 840, 12GB RAM, Sapphire 6850 GPU, Crucial M4 :downsgun:, WD 2TB.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxinglemur
Mar 28, 2007
THIS IS MADNESS
In cases where the print job "disappears" while spooling is usually due to the driver or a network share issue I find.

For good measure, in Devices and Printers right click on your printer, click See What's Printing. Make sure use printer off-line is unchecked and there are no queued documents. Try a test print from the driver.

Failing that, Remove it again. Add the printer through the Windows wizard and make sure it is being added strictly via the IP address, manually put it in if needed.

On the driver selection screen, see if your printer is in the list of built-in ones available. Windows update if you don't see it at first.

Last resort drivers you can try are MFC-7220, MFC-7225n, MFC-7420 and the Generic drivers. You probably want to make sure the original Brother driver was added via IP first though.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I attempted all those steps and finally resorted to opening regedit, searching for "brother" and deleting everything I could find with my fingers crossed. However, I noticed that the IP of my printer appears to be changing daily and I don't yet see any way to prevent that from happening.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
That sounds like an issue with your router's DHCP server. You can set a static DHCP lease for the printer in the router configuration.

E.C.
Feb 13, 2004
Short Bus Driver
I find it best on brother printers to set them with a static IP and when run the brother installer, don't scan for the printer, specify the IP address of the printer.

Then you have just a windows IP printer port instead of the brother printer port and it seems to work out better. Also , make sure you change the IP of the printer before doing this. Just log into its web interface, it might also be a good idea while in the web interface of the printer, do a factory default settings reset on the printer, just in case some kind of service is disabled on the printer.

• Locked thread