Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Liquid Communism posted:

Like any hobby, curate the people you play with. There are shitheels in any niche, it's your option to tell them to gently caress off.

Sure, I understand. I'm well familiar with hobbies that attract assholes - I play 40K, listen to metal, etc. I wasn't trying to troll when I said that. I checked out the local HEMA school several years ago. Apparently they have a beginner's class; after that, they invite students to go further and do advanced training. I couldn't help but notice that everyone invited was white. They definitely had a "type."

I just checked their website; they've dropped this and added statements of inclusion. I'd like to believe this is sincere, but it really left we with no desire whatsoever to have any association with that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Finding good HEMA groups is a pain in the rear end. There's only one really established one local to me, but they're only interested in doing tournament longsword in a highly competitive environment and it's not my jam, so I mostly fence with the SCA folks. Lower average skill level and no real structured training, but at least it's better than only solo work.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

There's always Sports Chanbara:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjIopjGzJeM