Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

Dexters Secret posted:

honestly i'm surprised to hear that snes emulation still needs active development. there's no emulator that can play all the games yet??

Nah, it's basically 99.9999999% done, as he says. He was basically done with the accuracy portion of bsnes because it would require a supercomputer to emulate the .000000...1% left over and still get 60 FPS. He actually 'unofficially' stopped work on bsnes and worked on the frontend I guess before he 'officially' quit, some time before he 'officially officially' quit with that post.

The main problem with him is that he wants to be TempleOS guy, and look what happened to him. He wants to redesign everything, from the desktop to hardware/software graphics to UI to whatever, and it caught up with his bsnes development, having nothing else to do.

Also, he also wanted to be an artist (of anime), a fanfic writer, actually play games regularly, and of course learn the glorious nippon language (everybody will know that Lunar is actually the greatest love story ever told ruined by Snidely Working Designs and their ALLCAPS dialogue and that it's a tragedy to rival Hamlet).

In fact, the whole 'trying to draw anime' thing might've been the last straw to his sadbrain and shortly after that thread posted his 'Depression' post came to being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Byde posted:

Nah, it's basically 99.9999999% done, as he says. He was basically done with the accuracy portion of bsnes because it would require a supercomputer to emulate the .000000...1% left over and still get 60 FPS. He actually 'unofficially' stopped work on bsnes and worked on the frontend I guess before he 'officially' quit, some time before he 'officially officially' quit with that post.

The main problem with him is that he wants to be TempleOS guy, and look what happened to him. He wants to redesign everything, from the desktop to hardware/software graphics to UI to whatever, and it caught up with his bsnes development, having nothing else to do.

Also, he also wanted to be an artist (of anime), a fanfic writer, actually play games regularly, and of course learn the glorious nippon language (everybody will know that Lunar is actually the greatest love story ever told ruined by Snidely Working Designs and their ALLCAPS dialogue and that it's a tragedy to rival Hamlet).

In fact, the whole 'trying to draw anime' thing might've been the last straw to his sadbrain and shortly after that thread posted his 'Depression' post came to being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EViG0Q4lTeA - bsnes circa 2025

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I have only ever used snes9x, and zsnes when I was on linux.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Dr Pepper posted:

If you're trying to make an accurate emulator instead of a "good enough" one then getting obscure and even bad games is important.

Yeah but if it's the elevator pitch it'd be better to stick to stuff people will recognize instead of incorrect dithering in doki doki no garii byuushi or whatever the gently caress

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Doctor Goat posted:

Yeah but if it's the elevator pitch it'd be better to stick to stuff people will recognize instead of incorrect dithering in doki doki no garii byuushi or whatever the gently caress

It's called Mario 2 in Japan.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

starbarry clock posted:

i have no skills except being extremely talented in coding software that tens of thousands of people use each day but i want to learn a soon to be dead language instead

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Byde posted:

you seem to know more about it than me, so why would you need a supercomputer for that last bit of accuracy?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Lol if you aren't emulating the possibility of cosmic rays flipping bits in RAM.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
My favorite SNES emulator is the Super Nintendo Entertainment System video game console.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Mercury Crusader posted:

My favorite SNES emulator is the Super Nintendo Entertainment System video game console.

That is not an emulator.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Someone posted this article in the Dolphin thread a week ago, thought it was a good read.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I think that was Zeality after he got the C&D for Crimson Echoes. He beat the poo poo out of his mom if I recall.

Wouldn't surprise me, guy's kinda hosed in the head considering how obsessed he is with the Chrono timeline/dimensional poo poo.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

For the Type-0 guy it sounded like he was doing a bunch of shady stuff like including the actual .iso of the game with his "translation patch", being a general shithead who couldn't manage the project at all, and then releasing an unfinished and buggy patch as soon as Square announced a worldwide release of Type-0 just to be an rear end in a top hat.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Silver Striker posted:

For the Type-0 guy it sounded like he was doing a bunch of shady stuff like including the actual .iso of the game with his "translation patch", being a general shithead who couldn't manage the project at all, and then releasing an unfinished and buggy patch as soon as Square announced a worldwide release of Type-0 just to be an rear end in a top hat.

Actually, he put up the translation patch two days before the announcement of an official Type-0 translation in English. My understanding is he got screwed over by Square.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Slur posted:

Actually, he put up the translation patch two days before the announcement of an official Type-0 translation in English. My understanding is he got screwed over by Square.

Well it sounded like he made a big stink of it when Square made their announcement and he did include the .iso or whatever. Also most people who worked on the project said he was crazy and insane. I don't really care though.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Byde posted:

byuu status: about to die of overworkingsperging

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

This video made me wonder if the timecube guy is still alive and what he's up to... I'm not curious enough to use google or do any sort of research, mind you, just an underwhelmingly mild curiosity

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Mega64 posted:

Someone posted this article in the Dolphin thread a week ago, thought it was a good read.

this was great, but it was hilarious to me that he though 3 GHz was prohibitively high a few years ago, when Pentium 4s reached that in like 2002

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

this was great, but it was hilarious to me that he though 3 GHz was prohibitively high a few years ago, when Pentium 4s reached that in like 2002

He was probably referring to modern CPU's OP.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Byde posted:

lunar was the greatest love story of all time, but by adding bill clinton references bill ireland elevated it to thhe greatest commedy of all time as well,

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

it's not going to be dead for at least a hundred years at which point all languages will be dead, but there's still manga and anime to be enjoyed today. carpe diem.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Meanwhile, Aeon Genesis still hasn't finished translating SMT If.

Where's the justice?

• Locked thread