Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what one??
atom
brackets
sublime text
i am l33t and use nano, op
other
View Results

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

kraftwerk singles posted:

i use vim emacs sublime intellij and even vs, dependong on context
when you would use vim over emacs, and vice verse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

same

vim when i want to hate everything

emacs when i want to feel like a björk robot

sublime when i have to share my computer with someone else that doesn't know emacs

intellij when i have to debug a thing

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i used vim today, but i will also use pycharm and probably sublime too

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

kalstrams posted:

so we had this chat in secfuck thread where i ended up around here

today i attempted to mimic thinking process for a bit and here''s what i got - im idiot
either way, seems like nano is like vim/emacs is like prechewed food to normal food
edlin seems to have fallen into eternal slumber a bit more than a year before i was born
for ispf i have found windows clone called spflite, but i do not see "why" other than someone regarded it well in seckfuck thread
atom has been criticized heavily here, besides that i dont think i want it from what it is architecturally
that leaves me basically with vim or emacs and it beats me. i have minimal vim experience and nothing with emacs. from what i gather, vim is the alpha text editor while emacs is literally hitler everything if you know its lisp dialect, but nothing in it is better than specialized stuff, say vim for text

out of textmate, bbedit, and sublime only bbedit has had a stable release within a year and only sublime runs on operation system i actually have. while they may be completely functional, im not fascinated with idea to pay for product that seems to have ceased development, unless there arent any alternatives

idk if its just me, but seems like tough poo poo to figure out

basically, as far as i see it now, if i can latex away in vim comfortably, i do not know if i have reason to go emacs. if i cant latex in vim comfortably, i probably want emacs then, since single tool for all text thing is cool. other text stuff i do is minor, for coding i will have to do i have jetbrains licence

bonus points to vim for having bideo jame tutorial

does anyone have experience with doing latex in vim (off windows preferably) and/or emacs?
what else did i miss?

:ohdear:

sublime doesn't update any more because it's already perfect.

most (all?) languages have ides that are the best ever for that specific language (like c# and visual studio), but if you write c# and javascript and c++ and python and html and log files it's really nice to have an editor thats quite good at everything. if you only ever write one language, find an ide with good debugging capabilities and symbol resolution and things like that

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
text editors are for editing text, ides are for programming.

okay, i edit user scripts and styles in notepad++, because i don't feel like making a new project for every one-off tweak i do to web pages.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
thank you to this thread for pushing intellij, I downloaded the free edition and it's blowing my mind how good it is

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
still need a good rust ide

any suggestions? atom.io has rust support it appears

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I use iCloud Drive, op

i should do this op

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

OSI bean dip posted:

source your quotes

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

OSI bean dip posted:

wait for racer to be finished then wait even longer for the rust idae plugin to be updated

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

OSI bean dip posted:

emacs

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

sublime when i have to share my computer with someone else that doesn't know emacs
i use emacs when i have to share my computer with someone that doesnt know emacs

get away just let me do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Dicky B posted:

i use emacs when i have to share my computer with someone that doesnt know emacs

get away just let me do it

they'll never learn unless you let them drive

• Locked thread