Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Problem description: For the holidays I upgraded the girlfriend's 2011 macbook pro with 8gb of RAM and a new 1tb 7200rpm drive. I did this because it was running slow as all hell and the fans came on full blast almost all the time (while doing nothing but watching Netflix, or editing an Excel doc). I've replaced several drives in my day so I did the install myself. Everything seemed to go fine. I swapped in the new RAM and drive, put her old drive into an enclosure and got everything installed and moved over. Right away the computer seemed to run much faster and things seemed great. First problem I had was that it wouldn't reboot, I originally moved everything over using Carbon Copy, and that seemed to end up with some errors in the booting portion. I redid things by installing OSX on the new drive and using Migration Assistant to move all her data over. This seemed to resolve the booting issues. The problem now is that the computer starts running VERY hot after being on for more than like 20 minutes (like 180+ F), the fans start blasting, and if she keeps using it it eventually starts freezing up. She'll turn it off and try to boot, but it gets hung on bootups or we get some error messages on the grey boot screen. If we leave it off for a bit (to let it cool) it boots just fine.

Attempted fixes: I've reformatted the drive 4 times now and moved all her data over in several ways, having the most success with Migration Assistant the last time I did it. The computer runs fine until it gets hot.

Recent changes: The fans used to blast pretty hard and the computer ran slow before, but never the booting issues.

--

Operating system: OSX Yosemite

System specs: It's a 2011 15" Macbook Pro, I believe an i7. I will grab the exact model when I get home. RAM: Crucial CT8G3S160BM HD: HGST Travelstar 1tb 7200rpm

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It sounds like the original problem was overheating, and you installed a hotter-running harddrive so the problem got worse. Did you clean out the vents, fans, and heatsinks to improve the cooling?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Alereon posted:

It sounds like the original problem was overheating, and you installed a hotter-running harddrive so the problem got worse. Did you clean out the vents, fans, and heatsinks to improve the cooling?

I checked them when I had it open and couldn't see any real accumulation of anything. I removed what I could see by blowing on it, perhaps I should take a compressed air can to it tonight.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Yeah definitely blow through the heatsinks with a canned air duster, I think that will make a substantial difference.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Alereon posted:

Yeah definitely blow through the heatsinks with a canned air duster, I think that will make a substantial difference.

I opened it up and blew out a bit of dust around the insides, nothing major until I blew back into the fans, the one on the left had a fairly large chunk of dust come flying out. We weren't home most of the night but I had it up for about 25 minutes and idle temps seemed to drop down to around 90-100F now, with netflix up and running it got up to around 150F at it's max, but the fans never shot up to full blast.

I'll have to see how it does on longer use, but if these results hold that chunk of dust must have been covering almost all of that fan's exhaust, since there seems to be at ~40F drop in temps.

• Locked thread