Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm a Sys Admin for a small manufacturer, and we migrated our file server onto a Dell NX 3200 NAS running Windows Server 2012 R1.

About once or twice a month, the SMB file shares and associated network drives will stop communicating, despite the server itself and all other Network oriented services remaining active (iSCSI, RDP, Name Resolution, ICMP, TCP/IP, etc.)

You cannot restart the service, it freezes at 'Stopping' and you cannot manually force it to close via PowerShell, and if you attempt to restart the machine, it will hang at Shutdown due to the LanManServer Services being unresponsive.

Its apparently a bug with Windows Server 2012 R1 and R2, but I was hoping maybe one of the other Sys Admins or Server Gurus had a response. I'm well aware this is a shot in the dark.

Otherwise, I'm rolling out a *nix SMB solution.

Problem description: LanManServer service becomes unreponsive

Attempted fixes: Applied Microsoft provided Hotfixes, did not resolve

Recent changes: Made Registry changes to facilitate SMB 1.0 and SMB 2.0 support in attempt to resolve issue.

Operating system: Windows Server 2012 R1

System specs: Dell PowerVault NX3200 / Xeon E5-2609 v2 2.5Ghz / 8 GB ECC DDR3 / 300GB RAID 1 for OS, 8TB RAID-6 for File Server

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, and opened Microsoft trouble ticket, only result was 'Problem under review'

See related TechNet article:
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...smb-connections

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread