Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

The idea that family photos and journals would be of any interest to anyone is intriguing to me. I had no idea there were non-hobbyist repositories for that kind of stuff and I thought the hobbyists kept it to facts, trees and local lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremynci
Jun 16, 2012

BossRighteous posted:

The idea that family photos and journals would be of any interest to anyone is intriguing to me. I had no idea there were non-hobbyist repositories for that kind of stuff and I thought the hobbyists kept it to facts, trees and local lore.

Yup, lots of them! In the US, they tend to be called "historical societies", but your local college/university may have one. They vary in size and complexity, but most love visitors! How else are you going to know what it was like in the past without documents created in the past? We have deeds, charters, film, audio, photos, sketchbooks, school logbooks, scrapbooks, records from local churches, legal papers, correspondence, diaries, and other writings (OK, poetry by a cat lady: it's my favorite).

• Locked thread