Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Puzzle 07:
We have A*10+2B=B*10+A <=> 9A = 8B => A=8, B=9. Test: 89+9=98. This is true!

Puzzle 08:
Wow, that's a mean one! It looks like it should be 2, since in that case the child would be the absolute difference of the parents.
But then you notice that this fail in the upper right corner.
The actual solution is 16. The child is the sum of the cross sums of its parents.

Studying mathematics is totally worth it!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
Exposition Appreciation Station

Puzzles in the Previous Update:

Music: Puzzle

First, the DLC Puzzles.

Then the previous update’s puzzles.

It didn't seem like anyone in the thread had any major issues with these puzzles.

Music: Dropstone

: The one and only, my friend! And with whom do I have the pleasure of speaking?

: The name is Hershel Layton. My friends and I have come to this fine place in search of the Elysian Box. I thought a man of influence such as yourself might be able to offer us some direction.

: The Elysian Box, you say? Why would you want to go chasing after a thing like that?

: I take it you are familiar with it?

*pause*

: I also believe my dear mother once searched for the very box of which you speak.

: Interesting. Please, elaborate.

Music: Iris

: Ah, well, my birth mother died when I was very young. The mother I speak of is actually my mother-in-law, Sophia. She founded this village way back when. The kindest soul I’ve ever met. Sharp, too.

: Since I never knew my own mother, I suppose it would be fair to call Sophia my real mother. Even after my wife passed away, Sophia continued to treat me as one of her own. Sophia looked high and low for that box, but she never could find what she was looking for.

: So she made efforts of her own to search for it. Fascinating. Tell me, where might Sophia be now?

: Sadly, I never found out why she was so intent on getting her hands on that box.

: I see. I’m sorry for your loss.

: Thank you. Well, my mother may have known something about the subject, but she’s gone now. Now you know as much as I do. I regret that I couldn’t be more help to you, sir.

: Not at all, Mr Anderson. I’ve learned a great deal from our conversation. You have my thanks.

: Oh, one thing before you go, Mr Layton. Please take a look around you.

: Sophia built this place from scratch into a village full of warmth and camaraderie. Dropstone must never be allowed to wither and die like so many other villages. After all, this place owes its current prosperity to the many sacrifices she made.

Music: Silence

: Enjoy your time in Dropstone and be well. Good day.

: Oh, I wouldn’t say that, Luke. It would appear this village is inextricably linked to the Elysian Box. I also find Mr Anderson’s choice of words interesting. I wonder what he meant by “sacrifices”. Well, that is something for us to ponder later. For now, let’s make our way to the station.

: All right, professor!

And so we start heading back to the train station. And we won’t stop for anything!

Wait, what’s up with this guy’s hair?

: Everyone’s efforts will have been in vain if she misses her train out of town… Oh my, oh my. Maybe women just need more time to get ready for things like this… Oh, why must she make me worry?

: Excuse me, but are you waiting for someone?

: It’s none of your business! We haven’t even told the master about what we’re doing!

: Luke, perhaps it’s best to leave him be. Sometimes it’s best not to barge into the affairs of others.

: Well, if he doesn’t want us to talk to him, maybe he shouldn’t be thinking out loud!

Sounds like there’s a problem. Let’s go talk to Dorothea, she seemed to know about this.

: Say, that reminds me of a puzzle I once heard. Would you care to hear it, sir?

I swear, if you don’t compulsively check everywhere after story events, you’re probably going to get a few puzzles in Granny Riddleton’s shack.

”If Johnny gave Thomas one apple, the two men would each have the same number of apples.” A little critical thinking applied to the above statement tells you that Johnny must have two apples more than Thomas.
”If Thomas gave Johnny two apples, Johnny would have three times the number of apples that Thomas would have.” You know from Hint One that the original difference in apples between Johnny and Thomas is two. In the above scenario, the gap increases by four to six. We now know that when Thomas loses two apples, Johnny has six more than him, which is also three times more.
Can you think of a number where the result is the same if you add it to six or multiply it by three? That number is how many apples Thomas has after giving two away. So, if we add those two back, Thomas has…

: Once our train is in working order, we’ll be moving onto the next town.

: Oh, then I expect you’ll run into the young mistress. She’s leaving on the Molentary Express today. Should you bump into her, do say hello. Oh, and remember, please keep Miss Katia’s trip a secret from the master.

Heading back to the plaza gives this exchange.

: Careful, Flora. If you don’t watch where you’re going, you’re likely to run right in to someone.

: Oops, sorry. This is all so new to me that I forget to pay attention to where I’m going.

: Understandable. After all, it’s quite different to what you’re used to.

: Wow, Flora, you certainly seem to be excited! Just don’t stand around gawking for too long or we might accidentally leave you behind.

*fade to black and back in*

: ...Huh? Professor? Luke? Where did you two go?

: Oh, dear. We must have become separated in the crowd back there. Let’s retrace our steps.

Oh great, Flora probably got herself kidnapped.

: It’s going to be awfully hard to find her with all these people about.

: Now, where could that girl have gone off to?

But… you… sinister hands! And “Eeek!” What :psyduck:

: Flora, where did you run off to?

: Sorry, there were so many people that I must have lost you. I turned to look at something and, before I knew it, you two were gone.

: Well, I’m relieved you found your way back to us. With so many people around, who knows how long it could have taken us to find you.

: I’ll be more careful from now on, I promise. Although, you know, I heard a few interesting things while I was wandering around over there.

: Oh? What did you hear?

: That a man named Romie was asking around after the Elysian Box. If we can track him down, maybe he can tell us something we don’t know. I heard from one person that he’s been wandering around near the station.

: That is interesting news. Let’s head to the station and see if we can find this Romie.

: Good on you, Flora! That’s some top-notch intelligence you gathered out there.

: Hee hee hee. Aww, it was nothing.

: Oh, hi there. Do you, um, need something or something?

: We are currently in search of an item known as the Elysian Box. Does that name ring any bells?

: The Elysian Box? Nope, never heard of it. But I do know a great puzzle about a box! Check it out!

Consider each of the two layers of cubes separately.
Did you notice that shape C fits perfectly into the space available on the bottom layer of the box?
If you read Hint Two, all you have left to do is find shapes that fill the remaining two-by-three cube space on the upper layer.

: Oh, right, what did you want to know again?

: I was wondering if you might know anything about the Elysian Box.

: Let’s see… Let’s see… Nope, I haven’t got a clue. If I were you, I’d try asking someone else.

: I see…

Moving to the left. Why? Puzzles. I’ve kind of given up trying to come up with reasons that you’d go out of your way to talk to people who aren’t plot related unless you’re sweeping the area for puzzles.

: Tell me, how’s the festival treating you? Make sure you enjoy it all while you can, eh? Truth is, I’d like to be out there having fun with you, but I’ve got post to deliver. The directions I received for my deliveries were a bit vague, though. Maybe you could help me?

If you read clues one through four and are still stuck, try starting from clue four and working your way backward.
The red house is closer to the tree than the green house.
House C is red.

: Everyone’s been busting their buns to get Dropstone ready for today’s festivities. Thank goodness you saved the day. It would’ve been a mess if that spat back there ruined the celebration. Yep, everyone’s been working like mad. I spent all day yesterday making flags. I helped put them up, too, and while I worked, I thought up a puzzle. You want to hear it, right?

You have three paints you can use on the flag, but that doesn’t mean those are the only colours at your disposal.
Maybe you’ve noticed that the white colour of the flag’s fabric is another colour your can use in making your designs.
Adding white to the three paints you have gives you four colours you can use to make flag designs. If the leftmost third of your flag is white, you will have a total of nine distinct designs.

: I may be getting older, but I can still cook up a mean puzzle!

Back to the right, then one screen towards the station.

: As you’re new here, let me fill you in on that family.

But Parcelle already gave us the text dump about Mr Anderson. We’ve met the man himself, and he threw a lot of exposition at us. Why do I need a third monologue about the Andersons?

: The Andersons live in the mansion at the north end of town. Makes you turn green with envy, eh? Anyway, Mr Anderson has a young daughter who’s grown up to become quite a beautiful young lady. Her name is Katia and she’s the most unusual combination of both beautiful and sweet. Plus, I hear she’s very respectful towards her father, unlike most youngsters. The only thing kids these days love more than talking back to their parents are those baggy jeans! Oh, sorry, I do believe I’ve gone off on a bit of a rant. Did you need something from me?

: Actually, yes. Tell me, madam, have you ever heard of a rare antique known as the Elysian Box?

: Hmmm… That name’s new to me, hmmm… I can’t help you at all, so will you leave me alone now? Oh, but you know, you did just remind me of a gem of a puzzle I know that concerns a box.

I’m awful at this puzzle.

When you start, you only know the position and orientation of the spade, so suss out where the other tiles should go by examining the second of the two cube images.
The yellow-circle tile goes directly above the spade.
The green-club tile should be placed in the square above the yellow circle.

: You seem like a nice man, so I’ll be straight with you. I wouldn’t talk about that box in these parts.

: But why?

: Well, it’s complicated. Now, I’ve given you my advice, so smarten up and follow it.

Who wouldn’t want to show off their new car or television for a while?
There’s one item in this list that is useless unless two or more of the same item exist.
The item in question could be in perfect working order, but the only way to show it off is if you use it as a pair.

Alright, two screens until we make it back to the Molentary Express.

: Certainly. How may I be of assistance?

: It seems you’ve done a great deal of investigating today. Tell me, during the course of your enquiries, you didn’t hear anything about my daughter, did you?

: Your… daughter, sir?

It’s a bit easier to see in game, but you can see the slight difference in Anderson’s face here. It’s subtle, but I like it.

: Sophia and my daughter were very close, so her death came as a great shock to Katia. If you should see her, would you please tell her that her father wishes she’d come home? If a fine gentleman such as yourself delivers the message, she just might listen.

: Unfortunately, our train is leaving soon, so I may not be able to be much help at all.

: Katia is my - no, our - only child. She means everything to me and I’d be forever in your debt if you could help me.

: Your guess is as good as mine. But judging from her family and upbringing, I’d imagine she’s both beautiful and refined.

: Steady on, Professor!

Alright, what is “Steady on” supposed to mean in this context?

: Oh yeah, that thing. People say it kills whoever manages to prise open its lid. Pandora’s Box, they call it. I just found out about it during the course of my travels. But that box isn’t what I’m really after.

: Well then, if I may be so bold as to ask, what are you looking for, sir?

: A phantom town that’s nowhere to be found on any map! A place only the chosen may visit. The only way in, I hear, is on the Molentary Express. That train, and its many mysteries, have been the subject of my research for years. From what I can tell, this artefact you’re after, this Elysian Box, is also tied to that town.

: Wow! So when can we set out for it? How do we get there?

: Maybe you whisper a password when you’re on the train and WHOOSH, the track goes in a new direction. Anyway, it’s probably something like that. I’ll just have to keep searching until I find a way in.

: Interesting. Thank you for your time. Professor, did you hear that?! I think we’ve finally got a new lead on the Elysian Box.

: It’s a bit early to celebrate, but it looks like our journey on the Molentary Express isn’t over yet. All right, you two. Let’s start making our way back towards the station.

: OK, Professor!

This is the second puzzle check. For reference, we’ve got 54 puzzles completed (including the ones in this update). Puzzle-wise, we’re about 40% of the way through the main game.

: Pretty righteous, huh! This train isn’t ready to move quite yet, so while you’re waiting, I’ll lay this sweet puzzle on you.

The number of links in each small chain is a crucial clue that will help you solve the puzzle.
You haven’t been opening only the links on the ends of each small chain, have you?
Try taking one small chain, popping open each of its seven links, and using those individual open links to connect the other small chains together. Is the answer clearer now?

Next time, we’ll do something other than get exposited at.

Puzzles in this Update:

”If Johnny gave Thomas one apple, the two men would each have the same number of apples.” A little critical thinking applied to the above statement tells you that Johnny must have two apples more than Thomas.
”If Thomas gave Johnny two apples, Johnny would have three times the number of apples that Thomas would have.” You know from Hint One that the original difference in apples between Johnny and Thomas is two. In the above scenario, the gap increases by four to six. We now know that when Thomas loses two apples, Johnny has six more than him, which is also three times more.
Can you think of a number where the result is the same if you add it to six or multiply it by three? That number is how many apples Thomas has after giving two away. So, if we add those two back, Thomas has…

Consider each of the two layers of cubes separately.
Did you notice that shape C fits perfectly into the space available on the bottom layer of the box?
If you read Hint Two, all you have left to do is find shapes that fill the remaining two-by-three cube space on the upper layer.

If you read clues one through four and are still stuck, try starting from clue four and working your way backward.
The red house is closer to the tree than the green house.
House C is red.

You have three paints you can use on the flag, but that doesn’t mean those are the only colours at your disposal.
Maybe you’ve noticed that the white colour of the flag’s fabric is another colour your can use in making your designs.
Adding white to the three paints you have gives you four colours you can use to make flag designs. If the leftmost third of your flag is white, you will have a total of nine distinct designs.

When you start, you only know the position and orientation of the spade, so suss out where the other tiles should go by examining the second of the two cube images.
The yellow-circle tile goes directly above the spade.
The green-club tile should be placed in the square above the yellow circle.

Who wouldn’t want to show off their new car or television for a while?
There’s one item in this list that is useless unless two or more of the same item exist.
The item in question could be in perfect working order, but the only way to show it off is if you use it as a pair.

The number of links in each small chain is a crucial clue that will help you solve the puzzle.
You haven’t been opening only the links on the ends of each small chain, have you?
Try taking one small chain, popping open each of its seven links, and using those individual open links to connect the other small chains together. Is the answer clearer now?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Puzzle 31:
So we've got two equations here. So let's do some simple algebra.

(1) J-1=T+1 and (2) J+2=3(T-2)

Simplify like so:
J-T-2=0 and J-3T+8=0

(1) - (2) = (3)

2T-10=0
T=5

Set (3) into (1) and get J-5-2=0 or J=7

So Thomas has 5 apples and Johnny has 7.

Puzzle 46:
Looking at it, I'd say D. You can put C in the bottom and link up A and B on top.

Puzzle 35:
Let's analyze the Clues:
1: Red House cannot be A, Blue House cannot be D, Red must be a higher letter than Blue.
4: Red House cannot be D.
3: Blue House cannot be A, Green House cannot be D, Blue must be a higher letter than Green
2: Green House cannot be B. This clue kind of sucks since I dunno if C or D is closer to the lake.

Going with what we know, the Yellow House must be D by process of elimination.
The Green House could be A or C. I'd have to reason C is closer than D, so let's say Green House is A.
Therefore the Blue house must be B, and the Red house C.

In short:
A: GREEN
B: BLUE
C: RED
D: YELLOW

Puzzle 54:
If we can use no dye, there are more than 6 answers which would have been my first guess.
It also turns out they say nothing about repeating colours, just that they can't be adjacent. so RWR would be fine.
Therefore my guess is 4X3X3 or 24 different permutations. If you use Red as the first colour, you can use the three other colours as the second colour, and lastly red and the other two unused colours as the third.

Puzzle 40:
I'm also bad at this kind of puzzle OP. All I can say for sure is that the Triangle is opposite the circle. Looking at how the triangle is pointed, the Human is opposite the heart, and the club is opposite the spade by process of elimination. The Triangle is below the Spade, and the circle is above it.

That makes:
-------Club
Heart--Circle
-------Spade---Human-
---------------Triangle

Puzzle 49:
What use is a single phone?

Puzzle 55:
uh... I dunno.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Puzzle 55: 14. You can open up every single link of one of the section and use those to connect the other sections.

Puzzle 40: Row 1 - Club, as is. Row 2 - Heart, upside down; Circle. Row 3 - Man, upside down. Row 4 - Triangle, as is.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 13, 2015

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Puzzle 031: Johnny has two more apples than Thomas. Some simple algebra would solve this one, but instead I just started checking all the pairs of integers like 3/5, 4/6, 5/7 and looking at which one fits the other clue... and 5/7 fits it. Thomas has 5 apples and Johnny has 7.

Puzzle 046: Put C on the bottom layer to fill it up, then A and B fill up the top layer. No rotations needed from the way the puzzle pieces are presented; I'm sure future puzzles of this type will be harder. D is the piece left over.

Puzzle 035: By clue 4, D is not red. By clue 1, blue can't be in C because the red one would have to be D, which can't be. So blue is in either A or B. By clue 3, blue can't be in A since that would leave no way for green to be closer to the power lines, so B is blue. Now D can't be green as that's farther from the power lines than blue (clue 3), and we've ruled out D being red, so D is yellow. Now by clue 1, C is red, and so A is green.

Puzzle 054: There are 6 simple permutations: ABC, ACB, BCA, BAC, CBA, CAB. Then there are ABA, ACA, BAB, BCB, CAC, CBC as well, another 6. So there are 12 designs in which all three sections of the flag are dyed. But wait! The rules never say that we have to dye all three sections! What if we left one or two sections undyed? In that case, white becomes another possible color, and we have the following possibilities (designating white as _):

A_A, A_B, A_C, AB_, AC_, ABC, ACB = 7 starting with A on the left
B_A, B_B, B_C, BA_, BC_, BAC, BCA = 7 starting with B on the left
C_A, C_B, C_C, CA_, CB_, CAB, CBA = 7 starting with C on the left
_A_, _B_, _C_, _AB, _AC, _BA, _BC, _CA, _CB = 9 starting with white on the left

That makes a total of 30 different designs using three dyes plus white.

Puzzle 040: First we place the triangle, since the spade tells us its orientation (upwards on the unfolded view) and placement. Now the triangle is pointing at the head of the stick figure, so we place the stick figure one square above it, but looking "upside down" in the unfolded view. Now the spade also gives us the heart placement: the cleft of the heart is pointing towards the left side of the spade. The square that will fold down to be on the left of the spade is the one up and left of it, and that square's low edge will become the edge touching the spade's left. So the heart goes there, also "upside down" in the flat view. Now the club goes in the upper square, and it's "upright" in the flat view so that when it's folded to the opposite side of the cube, its orientation will match the stick figure. Finally, the circle is placed in the only remaining space, just above the spade, and its orientation doesn't matter. Result: http://lpix.org/1941181/Update10-capture_053B_solved.png

Puzzle 049: He bought a telephone, which means he needs others to have one as well so he has someone to talk to.

Puzzle 055: Take one of the segments and open every single link in it. Take each of those seven opened links and close it in between two of the other link chains. Seven links have been opened and closed, so the total cost is 14 pounds.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
Next Stop, the Plot

If nothing else, you can rule out A and B as the one as the box has a volume of twelve blocks. Two blocks are occupied by white cubes already. 12-2=10, so you need both three block pieces and a four block piece.

The big trick to this puzzle is noticing that white (or no dye) is also an option. From there, it's just making sure you don't miss any.

: Hey, you guys better hurry back to your seats, ‘cause this train is ready to rock!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw8fnBtj448

: I believe we may have stumbled upon Mr Anderson’s dear daughter.

: That’s a cracking send-off she’s having.

: Considering the size of the party, I doubt she’s just going on holiday.

Music: Molentary Express

: Well, the next stop on this line is the perfectly normal town of Luxenbelle.

A quick Google search for Luxenbelle just returns Professor Layton pages.

: Well then, how do we get to the phantom town?

: That’s an excellent question, but I don’t have the answer, Luke. But if the Molentary Express does indeed head for parts unknown, the crew will know something about it.

Welcome back to the Molentary Express. I hope you didn’t think that Dropstone was our “strange place” I was referring to in the OP.

Chester is first on our list of people to talk to.

: You’re really closed?!

: Yes, you see, on the way to Luxenbelle there’s a long, unlit tunnel we have to pass through. While in the tunnel, none of the scenic views our restaurant affords patrons will be visible. It is Mr Beluga’s wish that all patrons be able to enjoy the scenery while they dine. Hence, our temporary suspension of service.

: Wow, talk about a classy operation. Mr Beluga has really thought of everything, hasn’t he?!

Next, Macaroon.

: I knew it’d be tough without him around, but I didn’t realise how lonely I’d get. Is he happy at least?

: Don’t you worry, he’s doing great! He’ll be as fit as a fiddle before you know it!

: That’s really good to hear. Don’t let me down, OK? I’m actually about to close up the kitchen and rest until we get to Luxenbelle. Most of the train shuts down for this leg of the trip, so you might as well go and rest in your room.

: What do you mean? Didn’t you just finish repairing the train?

: Sort of, but before I can kick back I’ve gotta do- Oops! Um, I mean, nothing! Things are good!

Everyone in Layton is terrible at keeping secrets.

Heading back towards our own carriage…

We run into this guy. I’m curious if we’d get a single update without me having to make a new headshot, but so far we’ve had new characters left and right.

: I’m headed to Luxenbelle, so it seems we’ll be travelling together, for a while at least. Here, have you heard about that long tunnel on the way to Luxenbelle? When the train passes through it, every light on board is switched off. Stranger still, once the train nears the tunnel, all access to the deluxe carriage is cut off. What if someone needs to go to the toilet in the dark?!

: Something very weird must be going on if they shut off access to the deluxe carriage.

: Of course, it all makes perfect sense! Why didn’t I see it before? Luke, I think I’ve worked things out. Quickly, to the deluxe carriage!

: I’m right behind you, Professor!

: Something’s written on that sign on the door. Actually, it appears to be a puzzle of some sort. I have a hunch that if we can solve that puzzle, we can gain access to the carriage.

”The X must be second from the top.” As you know exactly where the X should go, start by placing this symbol. Once it’s filled in, move on to the other conditions.
”The moon must be located two places below the diamond.” If the moon is two places below the diamond, then the diamond must be in one of the top three spots. X already occupies the second spot, so the diamond is either the first or third space from the top, right?
”The circle must be somewhere above the diamond.” If you combine the above statement with the information from Hint Two, it’s clear that the only place you can put the diamond is the third spot from the top. Once you’ve placed the diamond, you should now have enough symbols in place to solve the rest of the puzzle easily.

: Yes, it’s far more luxurious than the standard carriages. These tickets must cost a pretty penny.

First, Rick.

The block is the item I was referring to in my Rick AI writeup that Rick is not interested in.

Barging into other people’s rooms is the true duty of any gentleman.

: And one and a half times as big as our room to boot! Plus, just look at how super squishy this sofa is! Wheeee!

: Come now, don’t jump on the sofa. Luke, remember that discussion we had about how gentlemen should act in front of ladies.

: Wow, you’re right! It’s sooo squishy! Wheeee!

: …

: Radical surprise, dudes. Anyway, sorry to burst in on the party, but I’m just here to snazz up the rooms. Hmm… Let’s see… Do I put them here? Negative, Sammy, that’s no good. Hmm… Hey, you there. Smart-looking dude! I mean you, man!

: Me, good sir?

: Unko Beluga...erm, I mean the boss, told me to jazz the place up with some flowers. Can you work out where I should put these things to make this whole area smell nice?

: Of course. It shouldn’t be too much trouble to find a spot for flowers as lovely as these.

Here’s a handy hint. Start your work from the corners of the car.
Place a rose in the lower-right corner of the car, then think about where everything else needs to go.
To solve this puzzle, you need to put roses in five different spots.

: Oh, petalicious. It’s not crazy, but it makes a statement. I’m sure it’ll go down a treat with the boss man.

: …

: Well, anyhow, kick back, relax, and enjoy the rest of your ride on the Molentary Express.

: It smells lovely in here now!

: Mmm, yes, quite nice, I’d say. But back to the task at hand. We’ve given this place a once-over and come up empty handed. A gentleman can’t very well go barging into other people’s rooms, so let’s return to our room.

: Oh, Professor, do we have to? It feels like it’s got so late. Can’t we just stay here for now?

We try to leave.

: All of a sudden, I’m so tired…

: What’s the matter, Flora? Yaaawn… Gosh, all of a sudden I’m sort of sleepy, too…

: All right, you two, this is no time for jokes… Oh dear, I’m suddenly...quite tired myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNwxvT-RdIk

: Am I...dreaming?

To start, try to get all the cars going to the top track into their designated positions before worrying about the ones headed to the bottom track.
Tuck away the red car in the side track that sits between the top and bottom tracks. Then bring down all of the cars on the top track. Move that red car up into its designated spot on the top track.
You can use the trick highlighted in Hint Two to move any train car from the bottom track to the top track. Just tuck the car of your choice into the side track, and move all the cars out of the way that are blocking your path to the top track. Then it’s just a simple matter of bringing that car out of the side track and up into its designated position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJqazMY0OVY

: Hmm… ...Hmm? My word, I must’ve fallen asleep on the sofa. How careless of me. Do you know what happened in that tunnel, Luke?

: Sorry, Professor, but I slept through the whole thing, too. And I had the strangest dream. In my dream, part of the Molentary Express switched tracks while we were in the tunnel.

: Switched tracks? Switched tracks? You mean to say one of the train’s carriages is now riding different rails? It might not have been a dream after all. If one carriage did split off from the train, it would no longer be bound for Luxenbelle.

: Maybe that carriage is how you get to that phantom town!

: I’m beginning to suspect that you’re right on the money, Luke.

: I hope the phantom town isn’t as creepy as it sounds!

I guess we stole a light bulb from the room?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSYB72bSNTU

Right, the instruction booklet. I forgot you even needed it for this game. I’ve scanned it in and timg’ed it for you, because it’s full size.

To find the answer, you have to fold the ticket in a particular way.
First, fold the entire ticked in half lengthwise. Next, fold the ticket lengthwise along the middle of each row of numbers. Fold it just so, and the top half of the top row of numbers will connect to the bottom half of the bottom row of numbers, revealing a string of letters.
The words “FOR FOLSENSE” are written on this ticket. What number must belong in the cut-out portion in order to form an E when the ticket is folded?

Puzzles in this Update:

”The X must be second from the top.” As you know exactly where the X should go, start by placing this symbol. Once it’s filled in, move on to the other conditions.
”The moon must be located two places below the diamond.” If the moon is two places below the diamond, then the diamond must be in one of the top three spots. X already occupies the second spot, so the diamond is either the first or third space from the top, right?
”The circle must be somewhere above the diamond.” If you combine the above statement with the information from Hint Two, it’s clear that the only place you can put the diamond is the third spot from the top. Once you’ve placed the diamond, you should now have enough symbols in place to solve the rest of the puzzle easily.

Here’s a handy hint. Start your work from the corners of the car.
Place a rose in the lower-right corner of the car, then think about where everything else needs to go.
To solve this puzzle, you need to put roses in five different spots.

To start, try to get all the cars going to the top track into their designated positions before worrying about the ones headed to the bottom track.
Tuck away the red car in the side track that sits between the top and bottom tracks. Then bring down all of the cars on the top track. Move that red car up into its designated spot on the top track.
You can use the trick highlighted in Hint Two to move any train car from the bottom track to the top track. Just tuck the car of your choice into the side track, and move all the cars out of the way that are blocking your path to the top track. Then it’s just a simple matter of bringing that car out of the side track and up into its designated position.

To find the answer, you have to fold the ticket in a particular way.
First, fold the entire ticked in half lengthwise. Next, fold the ticket lengthwise along the middle of each row of numbers. Fold it just so, and the top half of the top row of numbers will connect to the bottom half of the bottom row of numbers, revealing a string of letters.
The words “FOR FOLSENSE” are written on this ticket. What number must belong in the cut-out portion in order to form an E when the ticket is folded?

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Puzzle 056: X must be 2nd from the top. Top can't be star or moon since they have to be next to each other, and neither can be second. Top can't be diamond since circle must be above it. Therefore, top must be circle. Since moon must be two below diamond, diamond is 3rd and moon is 5th (bottom), leaving star in 4th position.

Top: Circle
2nd: the X
3rd: Diamond
4th: Star
Bottom: Moon

Puzzle 057: Number these squares like a chessboard again, and let's start by thinking about the top left corner. Square B6 can only be filled with fragrance by a rose in B6, A6, or A5: anything else can't reach it. Can we put a rose on A5? Well, its fragrance will reach C5... but then D6 becomes a problem. Because anything that can reach D6 would also reach C5 and become overpowering. So we can rule out A5, because it would block D6. Let's put a big black X on A5. Likewise, A4 and A3 would be a problem, because B6 would be unreachable without putting too much fragrance on A5. So X out A4 and A3 as well, and now we can see the start of a pattern. Any dead end can give us information about where roses CAN'T go: if the rose would leave just a single unreached space, or two unreached spaces, in the dead end, then that rose is impossible. By continuing to put black X marks on where roses CAN'T go, we quickly narrow it down to where they CAN go, as follows:

Roses on A6, B2, D6, D3, and D1. 5 roses total.

Puzzle 059: I have no clue yet. I have one idea, which I'll spoil.You could maybe fold the ticket along the horizontal line so that the top ends up superimposed on the bottom (though flipped vertically). But I have no idea how that idea gets me closer to the solution. Not yet, at least.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
59: 2

Added Space fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 18, 2015

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Puzzle 059: I get it now. You don't fold the top onto the bottom, you just cut out the lighter parts and slide the dark-shaded parts together, which makes the ticket spell out "FOR FOLSENSE". In order to form the letter E with the part above it, the number that was cut out must have bars in bottom-left and bottom positions, but not in bottom-right. The only number that fits the bill is 2 (two).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like puzzles that make you get physical with the instruction booklet.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
Folsense

I'm stealing Added Space's answer for this one, because it's well done:

Something I just noticed - the UK version of the ticket lacks the "FOR" in "FOR FOLSENSE". Obviously, I used the US instruction booklet - hence the discrepancy - but these localization changes continue to baffle me.

For bonus :psyduck:, watch Video 010 from the previous update and take a careful look at that ticket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd-TduFgdYM

: But I don’t see Flora, Professor. Where could she be?

: Flora! Where did you get off to?

: I’m sorry, but the carriage was really stuffy, so when we stopped, I went outside for some air.

: You went out alone? Are you crazy?! It’s dangerous out there. Who knows what kind of oddballs could be out lurking around!

: Oh, well, I’ll be more careful from now on.

: Watch your tone, Luke. A gentleman always remembers to treat a lady with kindness and respect. Now, since we’re all back together, why don’t we get off this train and see where we are?

Instead of getting off the train like Layton suggested, let’s take a look at that lightbulb we stole for our hamster.

The lightbulb is one of the more useful items in the hamster minigame if you place it correctly. It’s so useful, in fact, by getting the lightbulb we now have the tools we need to knock our hamster friend down from level four to level two fatness. Feel free to post workouts for Rick - we need one of at least 18 steps total.

It seems that our minigames conspire to keep us from exiting the train.

Now that’s good tea! Luke seems restored and in high spirits. You found a hint coin at the bottom of the tea cup!

Music: A Disquieting Atmosphere

: Yes, I’d second that.

: I’m sticking close to you two.

: Indeed, and old ones from the look of it. Judging by their condition, I’d say they’re at least 30 years old.

: Wow, how do you know? Oh, that’s right, you’re an archaeologist. Of course you’d know!

: Now Luke, don’t tell me you actually forgot! Well, we’d best press on.

Layton, sometimes with the way you act I think you forget you’re an archaeologist.

...how has Layton not been fired yet? He is a professor, but does he actually teach or does he just get TAs to do it and go off on adventures?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLEs6DjNblI
:siren:This video is pretty important to the plot, you really ought to watch it.:siren:

In case you forgot, chapter three started last update. It’s over now.

Music: Folsense

Get used to this track, it’s what we’re going to be hearing for most of the rest of the game.

: It’s like something from a horror film.

: I find the place unsettling too, but we mustn’t let that keep us from our investigation. Who knows what kind of valuable information we might find here about the Elysian Box?

...Parcelle?

: Hey, you’re…

: The postman, yep. I’ve got post to deliver here, but it’s always dark when I come, so it takes forever. No wonder the people here always seem so on edge. Well, that’s all the more reason for me to bring a little sunshine into everyone’s life with the post.

: Wow, you deliver letters all the way out here?

: I certainly do, and I’ve a schedule to keep while doing it. So on that note, I’ll be off. See you around!

: But how can he cover Dropstone and Folsense every single day? The two towns are so far apart, it would be simply impossible!

: You may think so, Luke, but our world is full of inexplicable phenomena. This is but one of many.

: I suppose so…

Heading north…

: Are you all right there, Flora? You don’t look well.

: I’m not sure. I just started feeling sick all of a sudden.

: You’re as white as a sheet! We’ll find a place for you to rest straight away.

: Despite the lack of advertising, I’d say one of those buildings over there is a hotel.

Clicking any one of the buildings here starts the puzzle. It’s a bit jarring to not have any dialogue before the puzzle screen, though.

Just study the four buildings carefully, and the answer will present itself.
Say, upon second glance, one of these buildings has the word “hotel” written on it. Do you see it?
A close inspection of the scene reveals that one building has letters of the alphabet hidden in its doorways and windowpanes.

We can’t actually make any new brews with this, so I won’t bother bringing up the tea screen yet.

: A little bit… I think that with some rest, I’ll be back to my old self.

: Flora, Luke and I are going back out to learn more about this town. Why don’t you stay here for a while and rest?

: Yes, take it easy for a while, Flora. We’ll be back before long.

: Thanks, Luke. Be careful out there. You too, Professor.

For reference, we’re currently in the hotel lobby.

: I wouldn’t fret too much, Luke. She may just be exhausted from our long journey. I think our best course of action is to gather whatever information we can and hurry back to the hotel. After all, a gentleman never keeps a lady waiting.

We’re returning to our hotel room because there’s a puzzle here.

: And it smells so nice!

: While we’re on the subject of flowers, tell me, Luke, have you ever heard this puzzle?

Start by placing a rose in the lower-left corner of the room, then just take it from there.
If you know where one rose goes, placing the rest shouldn’t prove to be too much of a challenge. Place your other roses so that their scent doesn’t overlap with the rose in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
In total, you need to place seven roses to finish this puzzle.

: Nothing creates a feeling of tranquility in a room quite like a fresh bouquet.

: I’ll say! Those flowers in the Molentary Express’s deluxe rooms really relaxed me.

: Ah, yes. The ones that the conductor placed in the rooms were very soothing. Hmm… Of course! It’s so obvious I can’t imagine why I didn’t think of it until now.

: What do you mean, Professor?

: Luke, think back to when that train carriage switched tracks. Can you remember anything?

: Well… Honestly, I don’t remember much. I dozed off during all that, so everything’s a bit foggy.

: Of course it is. The sudden sleepiness we experienced was no coincidence. Furthermore, I don’t believe it was mere chance that we awoke upon our arrival in Folsense… No, I’d say our little nap was part of a larger plan.

: What plan would that be?

: Were I to venture a guess, I’d say Sammy’s roses contained some kind of extra ingredient…

: Which sent everyone to sleep so that one of the carriages could switch tracks!

: Precisely, my boy. I’ll wager that only those riding in the deluxe carriage were taken away to Folsense.

That’s a lot of exposition for an optional puzzle.

Now, we exit the hotel.

: The Elysian Box and the facts we need to solve the mystery of his death are close by. I’m sure of it.

: Do you think whoever stole the Elysian Box might be hiding here as well?

: It’s still too early to tell. But I’ll know more if we can work out why Dr Schrader ventured out here in the first place. For now, our best course of action is to search for anything connected to the Elysian Box.

: Let’s get to it then! Lead the way, Professor.

We move back to where we entered Folsense.

: Want to get stinking rich? In Folsense, making a huge fortune is child’s play! Let me guess, you two came here to get your hands on some of that Herzen money. Am I right?

: What Herzen money?

: You came all the way here and you don’t know about the Herzen fortune? That’s - heh - rich, pal.

: A long time ago, the big cheese here in Folsense, Duke Herzen, found the mother of all gold deposits. There was so much gold, you couldn’t spend it in a lifetime!

: How’s that for an interesting story?

: Quite. However, we’re not here for treasure. Rather, we seek an item known as the Elysian Box. You may also have heard it referred to as Pandora’s Box.

: Pandora’s Box? Isn’t that a novel? I can’t really help you, to be honest.

Turns out, there are novels called Pandora’s Box.

We’re going to move up twice to…

Huh.

: You are to scour every inch of this place and bring it back to me as soon as you find it, OK?

: Aw, come on, Unko! Do you really think it’s everything people say it is? I dunno… It kind of sounds like a load of baloney to me.

: Are my ears playing tricks on me? I could’ve sworn you just told me that my information was wrong! You’re in no position to be lecturing me on this subject. Now, get out there and start looking!

: OK, OK… No need to blow a gasket. I’m going!

: It would appear that they, too, are out on the hunt for something.

: Look, Professor! What on earth could that be?

: Yikes! Take a butcher’s at this crazy symbol on the cover!

: Let’s have a look. The symbol seems to be in the shape of a goat.

: Well, whatever it is, it gives me the heebie-jeebies. But I do wonder what’s written inside.

: It’s hard to tell, these locks mean we can only read the first entry… Still, this symbol intrigues me…

: Say, Professor, maybe somebody in that antique shop over there can tell us something about it?

: Excellent idea, Luke. Let’s begin our investigation there.

We can access one entry now, though we’re not going to look at it right now in the interest of efficiency.

We move into the store on the left.

Music: The History of the Village

...Chelmey?

: Hmph! Took the words right out of my mouth, laddie. Wasn’t expecting to see you two in a place like this. After some fieldwork in Dropstone, I was able to deduce that this town and the Elysian Box are linked. Dr Schrader had stockpiled quite the stack of research on the Elysian Box. The criminal I’m in pursuit of more likely than not killed the doctor to get his hands on the box. So instead of chasing the man, I decided to chase the box. When I find it, I’ll find the culprit.

: Wow, that’s a solid bit of reasoning there! I didn’t think Inspector Chelmey was that sharp.

: Eh? Did you say something, lad?

: Um, no, sir. Not a word.

: Good, because I’ve got no time for idle chit-chat. Come along Barton, we’re leaving.

: I apologise, but we’re not here to shop today. There are a few things we’d like to ask you about, however. Firstly, there’s this book we’ve found. We were also wondering if you’d ever heard of an antique known as the Elysian Box?

: Oh dear, here we go with that box again. You know, you’re the third person to ask about it today.

: The third?

: Those two detectives you saw were just asking about it, and half an hour ago, there was a young lady. She seemed interested in knowing whether anyone had been searching around town for the box.

: Hmm… Can you describe this young lady?

: Ah, and the officers, well, they said they were here on an official police investigation.

I kept writing puzzle investigation here, which amused me to no end.

: I’ll tell you what I’ve told everyone today. I wish I could help, but this box you’re after is news to me. One of my customers, I forget who, mentioned something about the box having quite a history behind it. If the thing was ever in Folsense, it could have been in the Herzen Museum. I suggest you check there.

: Where might we find this museum?

: Just look for the big building in the middle of town, on the north side. The museum houses a wealth of documents celebrating the history of our town.

: This is all extremely useful. Thank you for the suggestion. We’ll be sure to pay the museum a visit.

: Oh, before you run off, did you mention that you’d also found a book?

: Yes, that’s right. Please feel free to take a look at it.

: Would you happen to know anything about this symbol on the book’s cover?

: I must confess what drew my eye to the book was its locks. Old gadgets of this sort always fascinate me. Its construction is very basic, so you might be able to open the locks with any old key you can find. As a matter of fact, here, why don’t we see if this one does the trick? Think of it as my way of thanking you both for showing me something interesting.

: Many thanks, my good man.

You got a diary key! Use it to open a new chapter of the Old Diary.

: It certainly would have been nice, but we’ll have to put the book aside for now. It’s time to pay a visit to the Herzen Museum.

Our final option here is the Old Diary. I can only assume that the locks or keys were borrowed from Zelda, because keys are one use.

I'll keep track of these diary entries in the second post (when I get some spare time more focused on trying to get updates out right now)

Puzzles in this Update:

Just study the four buildings carefully, and the answer will present itself.
Say, upon second glance, one of these buildings has the word “hotel” written on it. Do you see it?
A close inspection of the scene reveals that one building has letters of the alphabet hidden in its doorways and windowpanes.

Start by placing a rose in the lower-left corner of the room, then just take it from there.
If you know where one rose goes, placing the rest shouldn’t prove to be too much of a challenge. Place your other roses so that their scent doesn’t overlap with the rose in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
In total, you need to place seven roses to finish this puzzle.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Accursed Walrus posted:

: Yikes! Take a butcher’s at this crazy symbol on the cover!

Luke uses rhyming slang in the UK version?
(butcher's hook --> look)

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Accursed Walrus posted:

Something I just noticed - the UK version of the ticket lacks the "FOR" in "FOR FOLSENSE". Obviously, I used the US instruction booklet - hence the discrepancy - but these localization changes continue to baffle me.
If I had to guess, I'd say this change was so they could print and use one ticket design across Europe, instead of having to make five different designs with each language's equivalent of "for" and then have to change the puzzle to fit that new word.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Puzzle 061: Took me two hint coins to find it. C is the hotel, for the reasons the second hint points out.

Puzzle 062: Start by looking at the dead ends and eliminating squares based on "If a rose was here, it would be impossible to cover the dead end without doubling up on at least one square". Mark those impossible squares with a black X, and suddenly the intersection at C4 looks like a pretty good place to try a first rose. And sure enough, with a rose at C4, the rest all fall into place. Roses at A1, A5, C4, D1, E3, F5, and F6.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

Bruceski posted:

Luke uses rhyming slang in the UK version?
(butcher's hook --> look)

I double checked my transcription, and yeah, looks like Luke does. Learn something new every day.

For the curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhyming_slang

InspectorCarbonara posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say this change was so they could print and use one ticket design across Europe, instead of having to make five different designs with each language's equivalent of "for" and then have to change the puzzle to fit that new word.

This is why I'm never going to go into localization - I'd miss this stuff.

On the topic of localization, the spelling 'artefact' is now my default spelling of 'artifact', and I think my anthropology instructor is a bit confused why I seem to randomly inject British spellings into my papers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Accursed Walrus posted:

On the topic of localization, the spelling 'artefact' is now my default spelling of 'artifact', and I think my anthropology instructor is a bit confused why I seem to randomly inject British spellings into my papers.

My dad's an immigrant so I was raised in a bilingual household of English and American. Spelling tests were a nightmare.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

InspectorCarbonara posted:

And I think most of the languages have no word that can fit the puzzle.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It seems like the building that'd be worst at being a hotel, honestly.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
Next update should be done tomorrow. I hope you all like tea.

On a related note, does anyone know of a good map making software? I want to put together a map for Folsense since we're going to be here for quite a while.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
DLC Set 3

Hey guess what? Hard drive failure, which was where most of my footage was stored! :suicide:

Shouldn't actually take that long to get everything up and running again, but here's a DLC update in the meantime.

Essentially, this puzzle is asking you where to add a wire in order to create a 3-D shape you could draw without ever lifting your pen from the page or retracing a line. Two of the potential answers let you do this, but only one works when you start from the point under the white arrow.

This puzzle is "John and Bill" in the UK version.

Since both of the boys are younger than 10, there are only so many combinations of ages you need to explore. Don't forget, Bill is the older of the two boys.

Did you notice that point P would be divided into four sections?

In the hidden segment of the formula is something very important.

You're only seeing part of the conversation. Try drawing a picture of the gem's layout.

Statements A and C are incorrect.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
W11:

B+3=2R (1)
2B=3R (2)

(2) - (1)

B-3=R (3)

Sub (3) into (2)

2B = 3(B-3)
2B = 3B-9
9 = B (4)

Sub (4) into (3)

9-3=R

R=6

Final Answer:
Rupert is 6
Bill is 9

W13:

(x-x) is included, therefore the answer is 0.

W14:

There must be 3 above it, 1 below it, two to the left of it and two to the right. The minimum number of gems needed is 5 in total.

- X - - -
- - - X -
- X - - -
- - O - -
- - - - X

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
W10:

Line C. It's the old tracing problem, not different in 3D. You need at most 2 odd-connectivity nodes, one of which is where the ant starts, so that's fine. Line B would just create more odd nodes.

pointy corpse
Jul 7, 2014

W14

If the rows and columns need to be uniform, the real gem is one below the center of a five by five square of false gems, which would mean 25 gems total.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I consider W 13 insulting.
Technically, you could argue that thisv question is just wrong. The two different x come from different contexts, so they can attain different values. That's just abuse of notation. Sometimes you actually see terrible stuff like that if an author of a paper is a little sloppy.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Air is lava! posted:

Technically, you could argue that thisv question is just wrong. The two different x come from different contexts, so they can attain different values. That's just abuse of notation. Sometimes you actually see terrible stuff like that if an author of a paper is a little sloppy.

This reminds me of a story from my algebra class. One of the students, for some reason, always wrote his 'x's so that there was a tail on the upper right, like he was slow to lift his pencil from the paper once he was finished writing, except the tails were far too consistent for it to have been accidental. The teacher once called him out for it, in the fashion that teacher was famous for. He was discussing a problem where there were both M and m as variables, and many people were confused because they didn't understand that those were distinct. So he wrote them both on the board. "This is a capital M, this is a lowercase m. Do they look anything alike? No, those are different variables. Here's a capital A, and here's a lowercase a. Completely different. Here's a capital X, here's a lowercase x, and here's a Tariq x~. Not the same thing at all." He was one of my favorite teachers, and I'm sad that I was sitting in the back of the room doing independent study instead of taking that class.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Puzzle W10: Same principle as with all "traverse each line once" puzzles: if there are any odd-numbered points (points with an odd number of lines coming off them), you must start at one of them and finish at the other. If there are more than two odd-numbered points, the walk will be impossible. The cube as shown has four odd-numbered points, so we need to connect two of them, which rules out connection B. And if we made connection A, the starting point (indicated by the arrow) would become an even-numbered point, so that rules out A. Connection C is the answer.

Puzzle W11: Another algebra puzzle, solving B+3 = 2R and 2B = 3R. So 4B = 3*2R; 4B = 3*(B+3); B=9. Bill is 9 and Rupert is 6.

Puzzle W12: I can't visualize this at all. Update: the hint clued me in. The answer is D.

Puzzle W13: The formula includes the term (x-x) in the many factors being multiplied together. The answer is zero, since (x-x) is zero no matter what the value of x, and anything multiplied by zero will be zero.

Puzzle W14: Fourth from the top and second from the bottom means there are 5 rows. Third from the left and third from the right means there are 5 columns. There are 25 gems total.

Puzzle W15: We'll ignore the fact that a sentence ending in "isn't she?" isn't a statement and technically can't be true or false, and just pretend that statement B was "Mary is older than Lisa."

None of the statements obviously, directly contradict each other, so let's look at the six possible ways the true or false statements can be spread out and see which of them "work".

If A & B are true, C & D are false. Lisa and Sam are the married couple (since D is false), but Mary (the daughter, by elimination) is older than Lisa (since B is true). Contradiction.

If A & C are true, B & D are false. Lisa and Sam are the married couple (since D is false), but since C is true, Sam (the father) is younger than Dan (the son). Contradiction.

If A & D are true, B & C are false. Dan is younger than Sam (false C). So Sam must be the father, and Dan the son. Since D is true, Sam's wife can't be Lisa, so it's Mary, and Lisa is the daughter. But Mary is younger than Lisa (false B). Contradiction.

If B & C are true, A & D are false. Lisa and Sam are the married couple (since D is false), but since C is true, Sam (the father) is younger than Dan (the son). Contradiction.

If B & D are true, A & C are false. Dan is younger than Sam (false C). So Sam must be the father, and Dan the son. Since D is true, Sam's wife can't be Lisa, so it's Mary, and Lisa is the daughter. And Mary is older than Lisa (true B), and Mary is older than Dan (false A). No contradictions in this scenario.

If C & D are true, A & B are false. Sam is younger than Dan (true C), so Sam is the son, and Dan is the father. Mary is older than Dan (false A), so she can't be the daughter, she must be the mother. But since B is false, Mary (the mother) is younger than Lisa (the daughter). Contradiction.

The only scenario that doesn't lead to a contradiciton is if statements B & D are true. So Sam and Mary are the couple.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Are you still planning to continue this LP at some point?

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
The Power of Tea

: Oh, but I just-

: And before you say anything, I don’t care who your old man is. No one’s above the law! In my eyes, anyone out chasing the Elysian Box moves to the top of my list of suspects!

: No, you’ve got it all wrong…

: What is it, Barton? Can’t you see I’m in the middle of something here?

: Um, yes, about that, sir. The criminal we seek killed a man to obtain the Elysian Box, so the villain should have it already. If the young lady was our culprit, she’d have no need to ask around about the box, in my opinion, sir.

: Oh, is that so now, Barton? Hmph! I don’t recall ever asking for your analysis of the situation!

: T-terribly sorry, sir! Please forgive my momentary lapse in judgment! I’ll just be going now.

: Barton! Get back here this instant, you pilchard!

A pilchard?

”Merriam-Webster Dictonary” posted:

a fish (Sardina pilchardus) of the herring family that occurs in great schools along the coasts of Europe — compare sardine

Huh. I’m guessing that pilchard has a different meaning, but I can’t find a non-Urban Dictionary source that would suggest otherwise.

: What was her name? Katie? No, that’s not it…

: I believe you’re thinking of Mr Anderson’s daughter, Katia.

: Yes, that’s the one. I wonder what she’s doing here.

: Hmm...

We’re going to head north to new territory.

Oh no.

This man should look familiar - he was the tutorial man for Curious Village.

: Hey, I know you!

: And I know fate, ‘cause that’s what brought you, me and that swanky tea set of yours together. Now that we’re all reunited, I say we celebrate with a cup of tea. Brew me something nice, would ya?

: You want us to make tea for you?

: That’s right, whippersnapper, but nothing fancy. A cup of Citrus Classic will do the trick. It’s so easy to make, even a baby could do it. A baby with a magic tea set, that is. Anyhoo, all you need is some Oasis Leaf, a little Brisk Berry and a sprinkle of Citronia Seed.

Brewing tea here is required to continue, so they just give you the recipe.

: Keh heh heh. Not a bad cup of tea you make, shorty. Of course, you couldn’t have pulled it off without my expert direction, so don’t get cocky. You know, this town is filled with thirsty folks. You’ve got the tea set, so the way I see it, it’s your responsibility to help people! If you manage to help everyone out with a tea break, good things will happen. This I promise.

: Oh, a fair bit, Luke. A gentleman never underestimates the power of a hot cup of tea.

: Hmm, well, when you put it like that I suppose it couldn’t hurt to spread some happiness.

You see the little white sweat marks above that man’s head? That’s the signal that someone wants some tea.

: You certainly are. How did you work that out?

I’m guessing that’s a typo and not Luke being incredibly snarky.

: Du-ur! ‘Cause I am too. Plus, I’ve got a trick for working out who’s local and who’s not.

I mean, Luke was right that this guys is out of town too, so who knows?

: Wow, that sounds handy! Can you teach me how to do it too?

: Dur… sure, why not. But not for free! Tell ya what, I’ve been feeling a bit down lately. If you can make me go “hur hur hur” again, I’ll show you how to do it.

: Well, I imagine we might be able to whip up a classic cup of tea that will excite your tastebuds.

: Ooh, that sounds durlicious. I haven’t had tea in...ur...um… a very long time… Ages!

In case it wasn’t clear, the tea I’m serving is displayed on the bottom screen.

: A hur hur, now that’s the stuff. I tell you, the classics really are the best. That goes for tea, too.

: We’ve held up our end of the deal, so spill the beans. How do you tell outsiders from locals in this town?

: Oh, it’s a piece of, urrr, pudding. Just get up real close...and give ‘em a sniff. Seems like most people from out-of-town town smell like roses.

Out-of-town town?

: I see…

: Why don’t you rest a while with this puzzle I’ve got here?

Don’t bother thinking about pi. You don’t need it to solve this one!
If you draw straight lines between the four centre points of each of the flower beds, it makes a square!
From the points where the two flower beds touch, draw two diagonal lines that cur through the centre of the diagram and end where the other flower beds touch. These two lines divide that middle space between all four flower beds into four neat sections. What can you learn from those four sections?

: You’re just one of those people who does everything, hur? I get tired just thinkin’ about it.

Time to brew some tea!

This is Oasis Leaf, Peppercherry, and Peppercherry if it’s not clear.

: Yes, there’s quite a healthy dose of Peppercherry in there. No doubt about it.

: I kind of like it. It makes me feel very chirpy. Next time I’m feeling down, I know what to reach for.

: Yes, a good cup of Cherry Boost can be quite nice every once in a while.

Brisk Berry, Dream Fluff, Peppercherry.

: And sweet at the end as well.

: I especially like how the initial heat helps to balance out the sweetness that comes later.

: I never imagined spicy and sweet could work together so well.

Back on the main screen, we move right.

: No need for alarm, Luke, he’s likely just gathering information about Dr Schrader’s case. It seems that he’s finally worked out that the key to solving it lies here in Folsense.

: Heh heh heh. Maybe the inspector’s almost got a grip of the situation for once.

: No doubt about it?

: Yep, the man in the photograph is the one. I’d remember that face anywhere.

: Hmph, well, that seals the deal. Just as I suspected. My instincts are never wrong! Come along now, Barton! We’re moving on!

: Hmm? Oh yes, sir. Right behind you, sir!

:11tea:

: What seems to be ailing you?

: Every day I stand out here for hours and hours. All that standing makes my knees creak like crazy. I should really start scheduling a mid-shift break or something.

: Being a doorman does sound like an exhausting job. Perhaps a cup of tea would help restore your spirits? I’d be happy to brew you some.

: OK, but I should warn you, working at a five-star restaurant has made me a fussy drinker. But if you can brew up something that tastes mild with a hint of spice, I’ll be a happy camper.

...karate kicks?

: I know good tea when I taste it. This tea, my friend, is simply out of this world! Working as a doorman in the best restaurant in town, I have to be on the ball 100 percent of the time. I mean, back in the day, even the duke’s son and his fiancee used to come here. When you’ve got customers like that, service has to be perfect from the second they turn up.

: Wow, Folsense’s elite, eh?

: That’s right, little man. Come to think of it, I haven’t seen those two for a while now. I really hope they visit us again some time.

: Now, if you’d be so kind as to hand me your hat?

: Very well. You’re saying that we can enter if I give you this hat?

The shape is identical to the example hat, so while you many find that some shapes resemble the hat in question, outlining one of these won’t count as a valid solution. Study the points where the lines of several shapes cross each other to find the exact match to the sample hat.
The hat hidden in the pattern has been turned on its side.
Focus your search on the lower-left section of the picture.

: Huh?

: Um, Professor, I don’t think that’s quite what he meant.

: Be that as it may, I’m not taking this hat off. Let’s go, Luke.

: But I was really looking forward to dropping in for a snack!

: It takes a very special occasion for this hat to come off. That’s all I have to say on the matter.

: I think this is too deep for me…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcZpE9_xt7k

Next we enter the camera shop.

: But if you look closely, you can see that the pictures aren’t quite in chronological order. Do you think you can work out the order in which the pictures should be displayed?

Start by scanning all four pictures for differences between them. For example, maybe the buildings are different in one or two of the photos…
Photo C is the only one where the stairs aren’t illuminated, because there’s no visible streetlight. Both photos C and D are missing the big, orange building in the background. By contrast, the building and streetlight are visible in photos A and B.
The door to the photo studio is the same colour in all pictures except A. Also, in B, one of the restaurant’s windows is broken. However, the window is patched up in A, so A must have been taken after B.

: Cor! With enough of these pictures, I bet you could see exactly how the town developed.

: You bring up an interesting point, Luke. But if these photos are that old, why do they look so new?

: Now that you mention it, I suppose they do look quite new.

: Photographs this old normally show some signs of deterioration. I wonder what method this studio uses to keep these photos so immaculate?

That’s the last part.

Going to truncate the tutorial; I’ll explain when it becomes relevant.

: I’m flattered, but really, I take no special measures in that regard.

Exit the camera shop and move up the stairs.

: He doesn’t appear to be in a very good mood, Luke.

: Let me see if I can find out what the problem is.

: Growrf! Growrf GROOOWRF!

: Aaaaahhhh!

: Good heavens! Luke, are you hurt?

: Indeed. Let’s find another way through town. Passing through here seems rather difficult.

A step to the left.

: The gate’s shut tight. It must be closed.

: I was hoping we’d find some useful information inside, but there’s no sense in standing around waiting. For the time being, let’s continue our investigation elsewhere.

So, now I get to demo one of the more annoying features of the tea minigame. Notice that the person in this screenshot is not thirsty.

But is in this one. What changed? I went back to the museum entrance and back here a few times. Yes, people are randomly thirsty. It’s nice for realism, but I want to give everyone their tea at the earliest opportunity, so most tea servings from here onwards are preceded by me running back and forth.

: Huh? See what?

: The ghost, of course! One just floated by all oogity-boogitying, I swear!

: Drat. I must have missed it.

: That’s the twelfth time today he’s flown by. This must be the best spot for ghost watching. I’ve been here for hours! It’s all just so fascinating! I’m utterly captivated!

: I’m sure it’s all very exciting, but would you care to take a break and have a cup of tea?

: That sounds great! I screech like a banshee every time I spot a ghost, and boy, is my throat sore! But if I’m going to take a tea break, let’s make it a mysterious one. WooooOOOoooo! Ahem… That means I’d like something sweet and kind of unusual.

: Hey, there really is something a little mysterious about the way this tea tastes. Good job!

: I’m glad you liked it.

: Oh, yeah, it was great. Let me thank you by telling you where all the spookiest ghosts in town hang out. Folsense has got loads of great ghost-watching spots!

: Thanks for the offer, but I’m scared enough as it is!

: Actually, we’re searching for an item called the Elysian Box. Does that name sound familiar?

: Wow, now that’s a fantastic name! Here’s a puzzle for sharing that great name with me!

There’s no need to decipher the relationships of every person in the picture. Just focus on finding the answer to the question at hand.
Who’s married to the eldest sister? Using the clues you’ve been given, you should be able to find the answer to that question almost instantaneously.
While we’re on the subject, finding the husband of the younger sister should be a breeze as well. With those two men identified, this puzzle is as good as solved.

Puzzles in this Update:

Don’t bother thinking about pi. You don’t need it to solve this one!
If you draw straight lines between the four centre points of each of the flower beds, it makes a square!
From the points where the two flower beds touch, draw two diagonal lines that cur through the centre of the diagram and end where the other flower beds touch. These two lines divide that middle space between all four flower beds into four neat sections. What can you learn from those four sections?

The shape is identical to the example hat, so while you many find that some shapes resemble the hat in question, outlining one of these won’t count as a valid solution. Study the points where the lines of several shapes cross each other to find the exact match to the sample hat.
The hat hidden in the pattern has been turned on its side.
Focus your search on the lower-left section of the picture.

Start by scanning all four pictures for differences between them. For example, maybe the buildings are different in one or two of the photos…
Photo C is the only one where the stairs aren’t illuminated, because there’s no visible streetlight. Both photos C and D are missing the big, orange building in the background. By contrast, the building and streetlight are visible in photos A and B.
The door to the photo studio is the same colour in all pictures except A. Also, in B, one of the restaurant’s windows is broken. However, the window is patched up in A, so A must have been taken after B.

There’s no need to decipher the relationships of every person in the picture. Just focus on finding the answer to the question at hand.
Who’s married to the eldest sister? Using the clues you’ve been given, you should be able to find the answer to that question almost instantaneously.
While we’re on the subject, finding the husband of the younger sister should be a breeze as well. With those two men identified, this puzzle is as good as solved.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
89: 400 You can cut up the middle area and wrap it around the circle to make a 20 x 20 m square.

117: B The men married to the two sisters are on the left and right, so by elimination the other man must be the one in the middle.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Puzzle 089: Draw diagonal lines between the four points of the curved square-ish figure, and "cut" it into four sections. Each section can be slid and/or rotated around to "cap" the lower circle, turning it into a square turned 45°. A little thought will show that the diameter of the circle is a line right through the center of the square, therefore it is equal to the square's sides. A square with sides of 20 meters long will have an area of 400 square meters.

Puzzle 068: I had to use three hint coints, but I finally found it. http://lpix.org/1998975/Update13-capture_035B-solved.png

Puzzle 072: A shows a patched-up hole in the window of the left building, B shows the hole, and C and D show no hole. A is last, B is just before A, and C and D are the first two shots. To tell C from D, look at the light bulb above (and left of) the right-hand building. It's absent in C, but present in D and the other two shots. C must be first, then the lightbulb was put in in D. Then the window got broken in B, and it was patched in A (but then the neon letter A burned out). The chronological order from first to last is CDBA.

Puzzle 117: We don't actually need to know the clue that "no one man is standing directly above his spouse" to solve this one. The husband of the younger sister is wearing no hat, so he's C, and the husband of the elder sister has no moustache, so he's A. So the man the puzzle asks us to find must be B.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Tax Refund posted:

Puzzle 068: I had to use three hint coints, but I finally found it. http://lpix.org/1998975/Update13-capture_035B-solved.png

These puzzles are kind of weird sometimes. I spotted that one directly.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Air is lava! posted:

These puzzles are kind of weird sometimes. I spotted that one directly.

Ah, I see what tripped me up on it. Well done game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is this still going on?

• Locked thread