Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Shei-kun posted:

I love how one of the books on Sherlock's shelf is "Early R'lyeh." :cthulhu:
Pretty sure first game in this series was him investigating Lovecraftian cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Forgall posted:

Pretty sure first game in this series was him investigating Lovecraftian cult.
I vaguely remember someone doing an LP of it, but I can't remember if I finished watching it or not. It's probably in the Master List, but :effort:

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

I play games and sometimes the things I say are of a humorous variety.
New episode, wherein we learn some stuff and also get to hear the phrase "crested tit"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14rrBNAWOEE

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012
Something I'm noticing is that the game seems to be a little bad at telling you specifics of what you need to do at certain times. Granted, it's a mystery game, that's half the point, but not explicitly stating the resources Sherlock has at his own home, like say the chemistry set for the letter is taking it a bit far.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Skyfinder posted:

Something I'm noticing is that the game seems to be a little bad at telling you specifics of what you need to do at certain times. Granted, it's a mystery game, that's half the point, but not explicitly stating the resources Sherlock has at his own home, like say the chemistry set for the letter is taking it a bit far.
If you check your casebook evidence that needs to be tested have an icon that indicates that. Same for stuff like having to look into Holmes' archives or asking people about them.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Holmes has multiple books he reads during the carriage rides, guys. One of which appears to be Crime and Punishment. And one is his casebook.

So you're both right :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Polaron posted:

Holmes has multiple books he reads during the carriage rides, guys. One of which appears to be Crime and Punishment. And one is his casebook.

So you're both right :v:

SubponticatePoster posted:

There are some nice touches in this game, like Holmes reading the casebook. It will show blurb artwork from a current or later case (which will appear in the casebook as you solve cases) and as you noticed, the colored tabs. Sometimes Holmes is reading Crime and Punishment. Also the view out of the carriage changes depending on where you're heading; a later case has a more rural setting and then you can see trees through the window.

Also you can change what Holmes is wearing - it's only specific plot-related outfits that are locked. So you can totally put him in a top hat and a different-colored suit if you'd like.
:colbert:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I was totally just confirming your statement!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Do we get to do science in the next update?

I'm looking forward to sciencing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I bought this game for the ps4 and i agree its pretty good. I finished case 2 and then got busy with other stuff/games. The only problem i have had with the game is sometimes clues become a bit of pixel hunt chore, specifically when you have figured out the case and are just looking for the remaining clues to fill out the web.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

New episode, wherein we discuss horse feet and I sing a poor cover of "All About That Bass".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nklbFgmTOhE

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Shei-kun posted:

Do we get to do science in the next update?

I'm looking forward to sciencing.

We totally science SO HARD

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

In our newest episode: DRESS UP AND PIRATE VOICES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wbTd4I7iQE

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Shei-kun posted:

I love how one of the books on Sherlock's shelf is "Early R'lyeh." :cthulhu:

Frogwares Sherlock has canonically fought Cthulhu already

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I really, really hope you unlock the balding/creepy 'stache disguise by the end of the game.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Our first case is SOLVED! I promise we won't be nearly so bumbling in our next case, it just took some figuring out. New episode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0FZj5G6sac

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
So what was the motive?

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Polaron posted:

So what was the motive?

From what I remember, Peter Carey was Patrick Cairn's former captain. On a voyage they came across that young kid's dad who went missing, found him in a shipwreck. They brought him aboard but one night Peter Carey tied his heels and threw him overboard again, probably for Black Peter reasons. This haunted Patrick Cairns, who confronted him in his shack and harpooned him because he wanted justice but also because he wasn't as great as Great Roger.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

gameplusmeagan posted:

From what I remember, Peter Carey was Patrick Cairn's former captain. On a voyage they came across that young kid's dad who went missing, found him in a shipwreck. They brought him aboard but one night Peter Carey tied his heels and threw him overboard again, probably for Black Peter reasons. This haunted Patrick Cairns, who confronted him in his shack and harpooned him because he wanted justice but also because he wasn't as great as Great Roger.

The original story was something similar - he confronted the former captain in an effort to blackmail him for his previous misdeeds like tossing the young kid's dad overboard and stealing the securities because he was broke and needed the cash. Black Pete reacted in a drunken rage, prompting Cairn to pin him to the wall with a harpoon and get the hell out of there. It was self defense, and the securities in the lock box went back to their proper owner. Cairn didn't want justice, he wanted beer money - but he did act in self defense.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

New episode, and NEW CASE! We talk bees, big brothers, and bed n' breakfasts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y2IizqH07Y

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
In case anyone's interested, the game's on sale at the Humble Bundle Shop this weekend. https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/sherlockholmes_candp_storefront

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Shoeless posted:

In case anyone's interested, the game's on sale at the Humble Bundle Shop this weekend. https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/sherlockholmes_candp_storefront

Thanks for the heads up!

I bought our PS4 copy at Best Buy for about half the price I expected because, apparently, they weren't going to carry it anymore. Score?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I like how Watson has absolutely no idea where they were going to go or who they were going to see, but went along with it anyways.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'll be very disappointed if you don't have to assemble the souvenirs from each case into some sort of superweapon to defeat the final boss.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Shei-kun posted:

I like how Watson has absolutely no idea where they were going to go or who they were going to see, but went along with it anyways.

I told you, he's like a puppy going on a car ride. The reason/destination doesn't matter, he just wants to be there.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Everything okay with you guys, Chuck and Meagan? I know ghost train might be scary, but I have full confidence in your abilities to crack the case wide open!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I was kind of flailing in my seat watching you run the wrong way. You were standing on the platform looking at the tracks, and the train was approaching from your left!

Kind of surprised there was stuff to look at down the tracks too.

So, random theory: that wasn't a train but a decoy they ran to disguise that the train was derailed some time earlier. It faded out at Evesham because who the gently caress goes to Evesham?

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Shoeless posted:

Everything okay with you guys, Chuck and Meagan? I know ghost train might be scary, but I have full confidence in your abilities to crack the case wide open!

Haha, sorry friends! Once again life has been crazy and we're neglecting our gameplussing duties. However this time it's a good reason -- I signed my first book deal this month!

We're going to buckle down and record a bunch this weekend. Worry not, the mystery of Super Spooky Ghost Train will be solved!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

gameplusmeagan posted:

Haha, sorry friends! Once again life has been crazy and we're neglecting our gameplussing duties. However this time it's a good reason -- I signed my first book deal this month!

Hey, that's awesome! What kind of book is it?

And don't feel bad, work and real life come before LPing.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Don't lie, the book deal is for your Sherlock/Watson romance novel, isn't it?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Hot drat! I'm glad for you guys. And for the soon return of Ghost Train in Ghost Train 2: Ghost Harder. Starring Christopher Walkin.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

dijon du jour posted:

Don't lie, the book deal is for your Sherlock/Watson romance novel, isn't it?

If by romance novel you mean hardcore erotica THEN YES

Shoeless posted:

Hot drat! I'm glad for you guys. And for the soon return of Ghost Train in Ghost Train 2: Ghost Harder. Starring Christopher Walkin.

Hey thanks! I too am excited for our return to Sherlock especially if I get to meet Christopher Walken on a ghost train.

Polaron posted:

Hey, that's awesome! What kind of book is it?

In all seriousness, it's a collection of horror short stories. When we LPed "Alan Wake" a while back I kept making jokes about how I was also a horror writer but it's actually true. Deadline is set for July 1st so I've been hard at work getting the collection together for my editor. Can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
You can hold R2 to run.

This is one of the Playstation Plus games for the UK this month, so I've been playing it too, I just finished the third case. It's a neat game!

• Locked thread