Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salmiakki

holy poo poo this is sad

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commie NedFlanders

Commie NedFlanders posted:

go sit down in front of a mirror and stare into your eyes for an hour

after an hour is completed, close this thread and don't post again for 10 days. don't visit the site.

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
Love God, Love Thy Neighbor
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

deep dish peat moss

Commie NedFlanders posted:

i'm sorry funny post i'm not trying to attack you i just feel strongly about what's happening in psychology

i know a psychology professor who scoffs at psychoanalytic theory and is proudly ignorant about it

I feel strongly about it too. I don't think we're on opposite sides but our views are a little different. I don't really pay attention to what the APA is doing because I never had faith in them. I got a degree in the field and did some related work and the only thing I knew for sure at the end of it was that I never found anyone that I felt was a true authority. Everyone disagreed about everything, the only thing everyone agreed on was the statement "We're not sure".

I found that I was very successful in reaching out to and helping people who weren't being helped by the system, and I did it by ignoring most of what I was taught. I never believed in approaching any situation as "The problem is <x>, so the solution is <y>" and the reason I ultimately burned out is because I felt like I was winging it all, just making everything up on the fly.

I've struggled with depression since I was really little. The first time I ever had thoughts about suicide, I was 7 years old. It got so much worse after I went back to school and studied psychology until it reached critical mass about two years after I graduated and I exploded. At that point I was a benzo and opiate addict and on a road to ruin. Ultimately, divorcing myself from everything that the psych program ever taught me made me happier and enabled me to get my depression and anxiety under control and sober up. I got sick of tormenting myself with 'maybe's and stopped thinking about how I felt or how it could be improved, or what was wrong with me, or if I'd ever fix it.

I don't want to work in the field anymore because I have no faith in Psychology's authorities, so I don't even feel comfortable presenting myself as an authority by being officially involved. I can do so much more by being a friend to people instead of a therapist.

edit: To clarify, I think in Psychology there's a whole lot of "This is the way we do it, because we're not sure." There's a whole lot of sticking with traditional methods because we don't know any other methods. I'm not sure what the solution is, but enforcing the traditional methods didn't work in my experiences.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 19, 2015

Cosmic Charlie

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue
I feel like my hairy chest could fix all this via snapchat

deep dish peat moss

Also I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying D PimpJedi I'm enjoying the posts and the discussion.

deep dish peat moss

I should also point out that I think Robert Anton Wilson is cool. If that invalidates all of my opinions on being and consciousness, I'm okay with that.

Commie NedFlanders

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I feel strongly about it too. I don't think we're on opposite sides but our views are a little different. I don't really pay attention to what the APA is doing because I never had faith in them. I got a degree in the field and did some related work and the only thing I knew for sure at the end of it was that I never found anyone that I felt was a true authority. Everyone disagreed about everything, the only thing everyone agreed on was the statement "We're not sure".

I found that I was very successful in reaching out to and helping people who weren't being helped by the system, and I did it by ignoring most of what I was taught. I never believed in approaching any situation as "The problem is <x>, so the solution is <y>" and the reason I ultimately burned out is because I felt like I was winging it all, just making everything up on the fly.

I've struggled with depression since I was really little. The first time I ever had thoughts about suicide, I was 7 years old. It got so much worse after I went back to school and studied psychology until it reached critical mass about two years after I graduated and I exploded. At that point I was a benzo and opiate addict and on a road to ruin. Ultimately, divorcing myself from everything that the psych program ever taught me made me happier and enabled me to get my depression and anxiety under control and sober up. I got sick of tormenting myself with 'maybe's and stopped thinking about how I felt or how it could be improved, or what was wrong with me, or if I'd ever fix it.

I don't want to work in the field anymore because I have no faith in Psychology's authorities, so I don't even feel comfortable presenting myself as an authority by being officially involved. I can do so much more by being a friend to people instead of a therapist.

God bless you. I know what you mean, I loved research and I thought psychology would be very interesting so I planned to go to grad school but during undergrad i guess i discovered new horizons. i used to really Freakin Love Science but i noticed how disconnected and confused the psych field was theoretically, and while i found psychoanalytic theory fascinating (as well as religion or any other form of Really Believing and other uncool topics amongst that crowd) , it was always treated as taboo.

I decided that wasn't the place for me. The attitude, the culture, the theoretical trends. I could try and stress over fighting for research grants stretching poo poo, but a lot of the research is actually pretty dull. for me, the theory is the juicy part and the theoretical restrictions in the field made it rather unappealing.

i plan to go to grad school in the future, but i'm not sure what for, and i am keeping a window open for psych research if i can plan a clear research path that would appeal to me

i think the field could use some bold ideas to be frank

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

Harime Nui

The New Insincerity
Why not just do your homework outside? Or if the weather's bad use a bar, cafe or other public place?

deep dish peat moss

If I was a billionaire, I'd fund a whole lot of wacky psychological research. Both to test off-key theories of my own and because think of all of the funny things you could learn. Like what if we could duplicate the way that the brain senses a fart? What if wars were fought with rayguns that made the target think they were smelling an inhumanly bad fart? Just an idea.

Ace of Baes
this dude auto-banned himself, another BYOB success story

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Salmiakki

7777777 posted:

this dude auto-banned himself, another BYOB success story

godspeed

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

Commie NedFlanders

ronald raygun farts on the brain. this kills the man

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

El Spider

i woulda just gave him a week if he asked for it when i was awake

----------------

Ace of Baes

Los Lobos posted:

its better this way because now we can make fun of him when he comes back in a few days

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormyish

Los Lobos posted:

why not now?

• Locked thread