Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The tfvars that specify auto are loaded automatically without having to be explicitly called out in the cli

the ones that don't, don't

We use them to differentiate environments

ie, dev and prod need different values but are deploying the same configuration, the pipeline copies the variable file for the appropriate environment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

That makes sense. It means you’ll also only have 1 or a few of the .auto.tfvars files right? I can imagine there might be another file for something like default application behaviour but not dozens of auto.tfvars files.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

Fun fact: the HIPAA Security Rule and many similar compliance regimes don't actually require encryption in transit for your private network. Terminating on-host is something you do to pass third-party audits.

I used to work with a guy who would find a way to work SOX compliance into literally everything. There is zero chance he could have explained what SOX is or requires beyond "compliance". But something about SOX was his first comment or question on any ticket. My brother in christ, the US congress did not write a law that cares what specific version of nginx we're running or when we reboot stuff for maintenance. Other than this I actually really liked him, he was smart and a good dude and I do not believe he was using it as an excuse to dodge work or anything. I would have said he was living in fear after watching people at a prior job get in legal trouble but he was like 20, there was no prior job lol. Some manager just got in his head about it and he took it way too far.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

Fun fact: the HIPAA Security Rule and many similar compliance regimes don't actually require encryption in transit for your private network. Terminating on-host is something you do to pass third-party audits.

yeah. the interacting-with-security checklist for me is:

- which compliance scheme does this concern?
- what control on this scheme is being satisfied by this work? (also include link to internal documentation from legal if applicable)
- what's the justification for the work satisfying the control?
- where is the audit trail? (how do we prove that we did the work)

if you don't make them do their job every time they will just sit around, get bored, and start creating work for everyone by picking random poo poo to suddenly do and care about, but only until it stops being interesting to them

after some time you will be left with a notion that some particular pieces of technology are "compliant" and some are not, with no definition for what that actually means, or how these determinations are made, how often they are updated or checked, what happens/who notices if we stop doing the work, etc.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How do I apply and interview for multiple jobs at once? Eventually, I am going to get lucky but do I just drop out of the interview process for everything else?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

don't drop anything until you actually get an offer

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

if your tier 1 pick makes an offer, sure, otherwise I'd keep the other irons hot as long as possible

never know when a killer offer will come through

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It feels so dirty.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Gucci Loafers posted:

It feels so dirty.

you are certainly not the only candidate they're considering

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
If you live in the US, continue all your open interview loops until you have a signed letter with a start date. In America, even a signed letter isn't a guarantee that you're going to work a single day on the job.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Gucci Loafers posted:

It feels so dirty.

Never feel bad about playing the game. These companies would lay you off without hesitation if it helped their bottom line. You owe them no more consideration than that. It's a wide open field until you start work at the new job. (I used to say until you get a signed offer letter, but I've heard tell of signed offers being withdrawn by the hiring company, so screw 'em.)

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Hell, I've seen candidates accept the offer, go through a week of on-boarding, and then surprise everyone with "welp, actually I got a better offer from Another Corp, I'm gonna go with them, byeeeee". Can't do anything but shake your fist and "ignorelist" them if they every try to get hired here again, but realistically no-one will remember.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gucci Loafers posted:

It feels so dirty.

Continue interviewing and negotiating until that first paycheck clears

If anything, you want at least one written offer while you're negotiating. Having an offer in hand makes it a lot easier to be aggressive negotiating for more money

We have a negotiating thread, you should be reading it (EVERYONE should be reading it) but the takeaway is ALWAYS ask for more money. Your manager will respect you for asking for more money, and you'll already be on the radar for a promotion when they hire you because you stood up for yourself. They 99.99% won't retract the offer, and if they do, you dodged a huge bullet. Worst case scenario they stand firm and you don't get an extra $10k/yr.

ALWAYS ask for more money.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Thanks y'all :glomp:

Edit - Holy crap, I thought I was posting in a different thread. My bad. :lol:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 2, 2024

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Zephirus posted:

Every time i've anything more than 'put object' to cosmosdb in functions I've created a cosmosclient using the sdk rather than using bindings. I'm not sure how much overhead this adds if you're doing something like durable functions but it's easier to me than messing with extra inbound and outbound bindings.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cosmos-db/nosql/quickstart-dotnet?pivots=devcontainer-codespace#authenticate-the-client

This is actually kind of good and helpful but I am working with Azure Cosmos DB Table not NoSQL... but I might just switch to this but I'm no developer so I'm sort of driving blind.

Junkiebev posted:

Should you not use a bus of some sort for this? Distributed writes make me nervous in any “eventually-consistent” datastore.

What's a bus and why would I want to use one?

Essentially, I have no idea what I am doing other than I'm going through an exercise to make my own Web API with an Azure Function app. What I am trying to make is my own React Web App and possibly use Cosmos DB as a backend if I'm able. Long term, I'm actually trying to make a fitness application and I know enough where I know I need to make the whole API so when users click on a button like checking into the gym, etc. it writes it into the program's database, etc.

Does that make sense?

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.
Can I get some opinions on how common it is to have a dedicated Architect role for handling upfront cloud infra & CICD design, versus Engineers or Sysadmins throwing poo poo at the wall and iterating forever?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What industry, what size company?

MasterCard has a dedicated architecture team of ~8 but that's just one division

At a company of 150 engineers, I've not yet seen it. In like 5 jobs I had a boss who was a director/architect (in name only)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Extremely Penetrated posted:

Can I get some opinions on how common it is to have a dedicated Architect role for handling upfront cloud infra & CICD design, versus Engineers or Sysadmins throwing poo poo at the wall and iterating forever?

Architecture is critically important but it shouldn’t be considered a separate job or role, it should be something all engineers do as and when it’s required of them. Architecture without skin in the game leads to bad advice, no accountability, and worse relationships between teams. I do not believe it is a skillset you can divorce from engineering implementation.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 2, 2024

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

We have dedicated architects and they have exactly this problem. With no skin in the game, and not being attached to a specific dev team, they can't effectively control the direction things go in, they can just help or hinder deployment once the app is mostly written. I don't think it's been a particularly successful organization.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

we have dedicated architects that get embedded into app teams add needed, and a separate architecture team that is supposed to set direction and policy org wide

the former has a half dozen members that move from team to team, the latter is like three people that are all principal level engineers

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.
Thanks for the replies. For context, our small SaaS shop (automotive, ~100 devs & engineers) has a dedicated architect team but the 4 are all developers and focus on working with the app teams. Infra architecture has always been handled by engineering, and we basically work like Iron Rose says. It works, but only if everyone's trying hard to fit with established patterns and figure out where a project fits into the big picture. When we don't, we build random patchwork projects that aren't maintainable. There's no real oversight, just peer feedback in a culture of folks who hate rocking the boat. I mostly asked to get an idea of how unreasonable it would be for me to push for creating another role on the architect team.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The Iron Rose posted:

Architecture is critically important but it shouldn’t be considered a separate job or role, it should be something all engineers do as and when it’s required of them. Architecture without skin in the game leads to bad advice, no accountability, and worse relationships between teams. I do not believe it is a skillset you can divorce from engineering implementation.
Disagree. Single teams need great design and rarely need architecture at all. I can virtually guarantee that any given company, especially ones where performance management is taken seriously, has plenty of people (and possibly too many) worried about how to improve things at their team's scope. Architecture needs to be focused on how the company's systems interoperate to meet higher-level goals. If you need architects at all, you demonstrably and verifiably have a problem where 100% of the person's skin in the game is built upon doing the right thing for the company despite all the people fighting you to do otherwise. Match the scope to the role.

Architecture functions often work more like product functions than engineering ones: there's a hundred ways to do it, and until you get someone in the org who's showstopper good and sets the bar for everyone else, it's going to tread water.

Getting incentives right matters for an org that's actually moving in a coherent direction, but you should rely on emergence until you see someone succeed vibrantly. I've seen architects with local "skin in the game" flounder and fail to set their own local priorities effectively, and I've seen architects with great product, project, or program management skills really flourish despite having none. It's all circumstantial.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 2, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The team I'm on has the opportunity to post an external hire for the first time in ages. We're mostly internal transfers from other groups so our job titles are all over the place. I'm a "Software Engineer" (even though I have been doing ops poo poo my entire career), another guy is a "Cloud DevOps Engineer", some "Infrastructure Engineer" etc etc. If you got to pick, and it had no effect on your level and salary band, what job title would you like to have if your role was doing stuff relevant to this thread? CI/CD pipelines, container orchestration, infrastructure as code, developing / implementing / evangelizing cloud best practices and patterns across a medium size organization, and so on.

Some options include Software Engineer, DevOps Engineer, Cloud Engineer, SRE

Also I guess PM me if that sounds interesting at all heh. Although I will say up front I'm not sure the role will be posted in the US. I think it will most likely be in certain European countries or Latin America.

in before a bunch of God-Emperor of Computer Touching posts

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Devops engineer imo

Let us know if it ends up being open to us

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Docjowles posted:

If you got to pick, and it had no effect on your level and salary band, what job title would you like to have if your role was doing stuff relevant to this thread?

Some options include Software Engineer, DevOps Engineer, Cloud Engineer, SRE

Always SRE, since it means you're negotiating in that payband. If not at this job, then the next

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
depends a bit on your career aims. If you want to work for BigTech, then Software Engineer is likely best (and in those companies typically commands a ~20% premium versus SRE). Otherwise, SRE because most non-bigtech orgs seem to value it particularly highly.

I don’t think that DevOps and SRE are necessarily the same role though. The latter to my mind has a much greater emphasis on monitoring, observability, oncall, APM, logging, etc. if that’s something you’re interested in working on, it’s a good title to choose.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
In my last job we all got classified from an incredibly broad job title ("Sys/DB Admin/Designer" or something silly like that) into more specific titles, and I ended up as a DevOps Engineer, and I was on the SRE team. Now I'm a DevOps Engineer on a DevOps team.

I agree that DevOps and SRE seem different but also I don't think there's anything an SRE could/would do that a DevOps Engineer couldn't/wouldn't do, and vice versa.

My real title should include "magician" in it or something like that because that seems to be the impression I'm giving off after only 2.5 months.

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005
Infrastructure Janitor or Internet Janitor

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I still have a slight "devops is not a team/title" tic but that war was lost years ago and there are thousands of DevOps Engineers out there so I should probably get over it. If I take my biases out of it, I would want people searching for "DevOps" jobs to find the posting. So that seems like a good tell.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
My big tech company uses (as far as I know) a title for SRE/devops that's basically unique to us, so I'm vaguely screwed. It does say Developer in the title though so that's nice.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Falcon2001 posted:

My big tech company uses (as far as I know) a title for SRE/devops that's basically unique to us, so I'm vaguely screwed. It does say Developer in the title though so that's nice.

For what it's worth I have no qualms about adjusting job titles when applying, as a candidate or hiring manager. It's not the candidate's fault their company's HR/management can't figure out the right terms. As long as the title you're claiming reflects what you actually did, cool, put the thing your target employer wants to see on your resume. Don't claim you were a DevOps Engineer if your job was in finance or something. But if your company calls you a Software Engineer and you're applying for an SRE role doing all the same stuff? Yeah sure you were totally an SRE. I am very into the idea of duck typing for job titles, because titles are a total free for all shitshow in our industry.

You did specifically say Big Tech and maybe HR there cares. I can't speak to what the FAANG+ club does so that's a big asterisk on my advice

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Yaml Yeeter imo

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Blinkz0rz posted:

Yaml Yeeter imo

Json Jacker
Python Pincher

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Windows Wrangler
Java Jouster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004