Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Sonic06 made Sonic a more appealing and relateable protagonist. Better speed sections, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
Episode 18: Scrambled Egg

Video isn't quite done processing at time of post. Time for a climactic battle with Eggman!

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I remember facing off against that boss in the game's demo. Thought it was a little basic, but hey, it could work as a first or second boss - basic, easy to work around, demonstrates a particular gimmick mechanic. It made sense for something early in the game.

Then it turns out it was a late game enemy.

:sigh:

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
For those that are curious, Eggman is supposed to be as smart as Tails. At least according to some manuals, he and Tails have an I.Q. of 300. Dumbing him down like this is way out of character especially since in no other representation is he this incompetent. Heck even in Sonic Boom the show he's smarter than what's represented here although he's also a lot more egotistical too.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

e:

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 19, 2015

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
:allears: I love it.

Re: the fight, honestly it just shows that the team really only had three ideas for boss battles. There's this type, where you enerbeam stuff at it until it falls over, so you can beat it up. This is every boss except Metal Sonic (A boss in a Speed section) and Shadow (really an all out brawl more than anything else). Combined with the fact that it's so difficult to die in this game, I honestly barely register these bosses as boss fights anymore at this point.

ParTwo fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 19, 2015

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The ending of Bioshock was completely obscured by a hat dropped from an enemy. I then spent the next minute or two hearing the boss screaming as kids attacked him.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
Episode 19: I Miss Sky Sanctuary

We answer one question, but raise so many others...

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
See the sack of money would have been cool if the Rings were more than just health and did give you that poo poo in droves already! Like in a beat em up or whatever it would be a pretty awesome weapon that gives you health/money for upgrades.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Do do that voodoo that you do so well" is from You do Something to Me, an old Cole Porter song.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
You guys remember that airship that showed up in an earlier in the random town with only two squids? Well that same ship was in this very video. It was the section that tails could only get to while Sonic had to sit back and watch.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

This game has not yet begun to not make sense.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That is a biplane joke with multiple layers.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
This is it, our final battle, split into two videos for length. With this, we can put Rise of Lyric to rest. Fun fact: Youtube is offering to fix the first of these two videos because it's "shaky."

Episode 20: The True Villain
Finale: What Is Your Deal?!

I don't really have any other plans for this thread, so I guess we can wind down with some final thoughts. Sonic Boom is not a game I can recommend to anyone. The gameplay was incredibly repetitive on all fronts, the voice cast may have done a decent job voicing their lines but the characters spouted these lines to an extent that's beyond excessive, the plot was a bit disjointed, and even in terms of how broken the game is, Sonic 06 beats it out for having much more humorous glitches and exploits to play around with. The co-op functionality would have been more interesting if it wasn't adding a ton more problems on top of what was already a broken game, and the multiplayer modes are not an improvement at all from the story mode. I'd actually call the multiplayer even worse than the story mode in terms of gameplay. As a series, Sonic Boom will probably begin and end with Lyric, Shattered Crystal, and the TV series. If it is allowed to continue existing, I would hope that future games would learn from the mistakes of Lyric and Crystal, but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

As for me, I'm not so sure what I might tackle next. Regardless of what it is, it's going to be a lot more fun for me to work with than this game, which I never wish to touch again. Thanks for watching, everyone.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
The ultimate weapon

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Well now that the game is finally over, it's time to see how it fares against Sonic '06.
Story: Quite simply '06 wins in this category. Say what you will about it, in '06 every character is fleshed out far better than what you with this game. You understand for the most part what is happening and the motivations behind each character. There is actual buildup to the final section of the game so you get what's at stake. With Sonic Boom you get none of that. Shadow appears out of nowhere only to disappear and then come back to re-establish the status quo. Lyric is basically taking one of Eggman's older schemes and reapropriating it for himself. There's no buildup to the final section of the game, you just show up. Nothing is explained about the giant robots that litter the final fight and they certainly don't do anything to pose any kind of threat. You have little to no characterazation going on between anybody. What conflict that does show up is resolved near immediately and if the game is supposed to be a prequel then it fails at what prequels are supposed to do and that is provide some sort of explanation of the world we are seeing and backstory to what it's a prequel to. The only thing that ties into the show itself in all honesty is the magic button since Eggman on the show does indeed wear that bracelet with the two buttons.

Graphics: For the most part this game does look better. However this game wasn't the first to establish this artstyle when it came to Sonic. The franchise has used this aesthetic since Sonic Unleashed and it works. With the exception of the final area. The backgrounds in that placed just looked horrendous. This game does have it's fair share of problems when it comes to graphics though. Things such as completely turning off shadows during co-op gameplay but turning them back on in cutscenes, which I think happens because the game switches over to single player mode for those instances. The double airplane is also not the first time this game has had two exact models on the screen at the same time. I think it also happens in the Mecha Sonic fight if you look carefully.

Sound: I"ll give that to '06 mainly because for the most part in that game characters did shut up when not needed and the player wasn't constantly bombarded with redundant chatter about buttons, doors or how awesome everything is. Usually when you have to hammer into the players head about how something is awesome via voice clip every 15 seconds or so, you are really drawing attention to how not awesome the game they are playing is.

Gameplay: From what i've seen of this thing it looks like it handles better for the most part but you get very little variation. The only difference between each character is how they platform through certain sections that are designed solely for those characters and for some unknown reason they took away abilities from Knuckles that he's always had mainly his ability to glide and climb practically all surfaces. The mini-map was a sorta nice edition from the patch but they somehow managed to screw it up. There should be no way anybody can screw up a Mini-Map. It's been the same in every sandbox type game and has never really changed. Then there's the main map which is less than useful since the developers somehow managed to screw up even that by not having some indication of which way the player is facing so they can orient themselves. So for this segment I'm going to give it to '06 because even though you had to go through every level on multiple occasions you did it with characters that had far more variation in playstyle than this game. Plus it had a much better Mini-Map.

Fun: This can be subjective. But i'm going to give this to '06 for the mere fact that it's alot more fun to see people play through that game especially if it's their first time and get their reactions to the insanity that that game presents. It's a game so bad it's entertaining to see other people suffer through it and have the game break on them in many ways. This game looks to be a lot less fun to see people play through but that may be because the experience doesn't truly differ from playthrough to playthrough like it does in '06. This game is broken enough to be bad but not broken enough to be entertaining for those reasons and overall comes off as a sorta blah game.

So yes. In the end Sonic '06 is the better game overall outside of bugginess and a few bullshit moments.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Regarding Shadow's time travel, he did come straight from the boss fight - since when you kicked him through, he went to the future as relative to Maia (basically to say he didn't get kicked to any other point before the game's story taking place). Its just that by the end of the game, you've caught up to him.

It is, however, still a load of bullshit.

I've actually rewritten this sentence several times now to try and sum up my final thoughts on the game, buts its difficult because it just leaves me so... confused. There were ideas here. Things scattered about that could have been put together to make something. But they went for an engine with no support on the Wii U. They put the new main character in a corner as a collectible dump. They made a tonne of new side characters to flesh out the world, and yet developed next to none of them in favour of old favourites who they also didn't develop. They had Sonic the Hedgehog, and made him no faster than anyone else.

Please don't let there be another.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
For some reason Shadow's last bit at the end there honestly reminded me of Airplane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RMoH55T-oI

I'm willing to bet money that there was originally going to be some DLC where you play as him but that got scrapped when this game bombed hard.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 24, 2015

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Still say the game did better with its comical use of shadows than Shadow.

Is flushing the RAM that thing that removes all those split second screens that should have been removed during cutscenes? Still strange how they went back to the Lyric battle after the ending cutscene played.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I understand Big red Button had no idea what they were doing, but they were under the supervision by Sonic Team and Takashi Iizuka. Didn't any of them react on the fact that the game was heading the wrong direction from the start? Didn't anyone notice that the game had a lot of ingredients, but somehow they forgot the fun part? I can easily imagine Sega not noticing that the battle system is very un-Sonic like. After all, they have a history themselves of haphazardly messing with basic Sonic conventions for apparently no other reason than the sake of changing things around. However, how can you even look at the game and not immediately see that it's just not fun?

BRB's leader was Bob Rafei and his portfolio includes Crash Bandicoot, Uncharted, and Jak and Daxter. None of those game had a high number of enemies that were slow to kill. It's not that you have to make enemies fragile, the Devil May Cry series for example does have a lot of enemies you need to wail on for a while before they die. However, if that's what you're going for then experience with Crash Bandicoot, Uncharted, and Jak and Daxter is not going to help. Heck, I didn't see much of those three games in the non combat sections either. It's like hiring an electrician and then ask him to do plumbing work.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Crystalgate posted:

I understand Big red Button had no idea what they were doing, but they were under the supervision by Sonic Team and Takashi Iizuka. Didn't any of them react on the fact that the game was heading the wrong direction from the start? Didn't anyone notice that the game had a lot of ingredients, but somehow they forgot the fun part? I can easily imagine Sega not noticing that the battle system is very un-Sonic like. After all, they have a history themselves of haphazardly messing with basic Sonic conventions for apparently no other reason than the sake of changing things around. However, how can you even look at the game and not immediately see that it's just not fun?
They probably did see that, but how would you make it fun? I don't think anyone on the team had any idea how to design a game. They built an interactive simulation with many of the same elements as a video game, but none of it is fun. The puzzles aren't puzzles, the combat is tedious and has no lose condition, the speed sections are so basic that they'd be trivial if the game worked on a technical level. There's only so much that can be done with what the team came up with as the mechanics. Sega knew the game was awful, but they (most likely correctly) guessed it would not be worth the money it would take to give the game the overhaul it would need to actually be fun.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This game basically had the damage/life system of Kirby's Epic Yarn, and-

Oh god the Enerbeam is a yarn lariat and Lyric is Yin-Yarn THAT'S WHY HE CAN CONTROL TECHNOLOGY IT'S ALL MADE OF YARN!

Really I think the camera is kind of the issue here. It's hard to have an exploration-focused game with a terrible camera.

• Locked thread