Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Around 70th percentile for income for my age group, 85th percentile for net worth, but 95th for retirement savings. I can live with those numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
It still amazes me that I make triple what anyone else I know in real life (at my age) makes, and yet I'm barely breaking the married 60th percentile on this forum. :haw: Selection bias is amazing.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Sundae posted:

Selection bias is amazing.

Right? The people in this subforum loving hustle

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I can try to send some people over from BYOB to fill out the left shoulder of the bell curve

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
One interesting thing to me is that the BFC household income median is so much above the US median ($90k vs $51k) but net worth is about the same ($95k vs $81k).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
More white-collar professionals, but younger.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Turns out people who willingly read and post in a forum titled 'Business, Finance, and Careers' care quite a bit about business, finance, and careers.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Guinness posted:

Turns out people who willingly read and post in a forum titled 'Business, Finance, and Careers' care quite a bit about business, finance, and careers.

Well, most of us anyway...

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Every court needs a jester.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm actually really bad with money, just lucky with my career. Imposter

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah there's no better way to become interested in business, finances, and careers than stumbling into a good career despite your best efforts.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah there's no better way to become interested in business, finances, and careers than stumbling into a good career despite your best efforts.

Sounds like me, sure enough :v:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

For reals. I studied math, man, what the hell am I doing writing romance novels for a living?

I feel like there's so much income inequality in this young age group due to job instability in this economy and most relatively stable job fields being decimated by the increased efficiency and productivity made possible through technology. BFC-type people hustle like gently caress to work it to their advantage, but most of my peers are at a loss for what to do. They're all competing for a dwindling number of entry level jobs, driving down salaries. At the same time, content creators, including coders, can make bank because of how easy the estribution model has made it to sell content. I don't agree with everything Seth Godin says, but he called it early - attention is the new currency that's making people rich, and these opportunities are now available to everyone with an internet connection.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Get rich or die tryin', am i right thread? There's a reason that song came out during 'our generation', after all. The endless hustle mindset I think is a relatively recent development. Back in The Day™, companies paid you for and rewarded you for loyalty, which doesn't exist anymore, so we have to be more aggressive and ruthless.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Well, there's also a shift away from mindless consumerism for a lot of young workers. Not everyone, of course, but I do think that young people today are more and more conscious that spending money isn't going to make them happy. Financial security via any means (getting rich OR spending less) is becoming more important in such an uncertain job economy. For me at least, it's less about "getting rich" and more about financial security. I want to have enough saved for me and my husband to both be stay-at-home parents when we start a family, at least for the first year or so.*

*even though I'll probably start a frugal baby blog or write kids' books or something.. you can't take the hustle out of the player ;)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Also branching out into lucrative pregnancy romance novels. :clint:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

moana posted:

For reals. I studied math, man, what the hell am I doing writing romance novels for a living?

I feel like there's so much income inequality in this young age group due to job instability in this economy and most relatively stable job fields being decimated by the increased efficiency and productivity made possible through technology. BFC-type people hustle like gently caress to work it to their advantage, but most of my peers are at a loss for what to do. They're all competing for a dwindling number of entry level jobs, driving down salaries. At the same time, content creators, including coders, can make bank because of how easy the estribution model has made it to sell content. I don't agree with everything Seth Godin says, but he called it early - attention is the new currency that's making people rich, and these opportunities are now available to everyone with an internet connection.

I agree with this and it matches what I'm seeing for my peers as well. I got lucky and landed into a lovely but lucrative pharma career, but most of the people I went to college with are still at $50K or so salaries (this is 8 years later, mind you -- I'm not saying $50K out of college), struggling to make ends meet in expensive cities, getting laid off every 6-12 months, etc. I mean, this is a crowd of Ivy League engineers and scientists, and they can't get a decent loving job to save their lives. The only ones I know who are doing well are the ones who said gently caress STEM and went into finance or unionized Amtrak positions of all things.

Estribution, as much as I hate the term, is amazing. I love the writing career and while I haven't hit the jackpot the way you have yet, I have more hope for it as a future career than I do for my actual career.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

moana posted:

I'd have to say the overwhelming and obvious difference is people here graduated with degrees that feed into high earning fields while the vast majority of young kids are still graduating with degrees in areas that have tons of people chasing a few jobs.

The whole mantra of just 'doesn't matter what degree you get, just get one' just doesn't work anymore- it's really obvious where the money and stability is, it's just that a lot of young people either don't care about it or aren't paying any attention all. It's trivial to hustle when your field is growing by 30% every year.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

Sundae posted:

I agree with this and it matches what I'm seeing for my peers as well. I got lucky and landed into a lovely but lucrative pharma career, but most of the people I went to college with are still at $50K or so salaries (this is 8 years later, mind you -- I'm not saying $50K out of college), struggling to make ends meet in expensive cities, getting laid off every 6-12 months, etc. I mean, this is a crowd of Ivy League engineers and scientists, and they can't get a decent loving job to save their lives. The only ones I know who are doing well are the ones who said gently caress STEM and went into finance or unionized Amtrak positions of all things.

We're doing among the best of the couples we know and we both went into STEM, but yeah it's pretty abnormal. The major reasons why we've done well so far are 1) no student loans, 2) getting PhDs from a great school that was in a cheap town, allowing us to build up savings even on $60K/year combined, 3) being willing to move to wherever the money is (hustle).

moana posted:

For me at least, it's less about "getting rich" and more about financial security. I want to have enough saved for me and my husband to both be stay-at-home parents when we start a family, at least for the first year or so.*

This was pretty much what we were going for. Only problem is now we have enough saved but neither of us wants to take a whole year off! So we're going to do 6 months each.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

moana posted:

At the same time, content creators, including coders, can make bank because of how easy the estribution model has made it to sell content. I don't agree with everything Seth Godin says, but he called it early - attention is the new currency that's making people rich, and these opportunities are now available to everyone with an internet connection.

My wife's Dad is a copper mine president and we had a pretty lengthy discussion about our respective careers. I'm a web dev and she's a 3D modeler/animator. He was so stuck on the raw materials -> processing -> tangible product pipeline that he couldn't really see where we fit in. Were we service workers, production workers, managers? Really it's all 3.

Finally we explained that we are able to process ideas as 'raw materials' and render intangible products out of them. It's cool to think about it in terms of creating products out of thin air. And really when you throw in 3D printing and software interactivity, even the line between tangible gets blurry in a neat way.

I can feel really good about our careers because we are able to make new things for the economy with limited exploitation of natural/human resources. It's not as cut and dry as mining, but I like that. Gotta hustle fo that dolla.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Baja Mofufu posted:

3) being willing to move to wherever the money is (hustle).

I'd say this is related to how people spend (and therefore, think) more than any sort of work ethic. Refusing to challenge your assumptions of "home" is the same sort of thing as refusing to challenge assumptions of lifestyle.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

tuyop posted:

I'd say this is related to how people spend (and therefore, think) more than any sort of work ethic. Refusing to challenge your assumptions of "home" is the same sort of thing as refusing to challenge assumptions of lifestyle.

True, I was thinking of hustle as doing whatever it takes to make more money. It doesn't involve working harder at our current jobs, but since we're always looking for new opportunities we can't get complacent either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

tsa posted:

I'd have to say the overwhelming and obvious difference is people here graduated with degrees that feed into high earning fields while the vast majority of young kids are still graduating with degrees in areas that have tons of people chasing a few jobs.

The whole mantra of just 'doesn't matter what degree you get, just get one' just doesn't work anymore- it's really obvious where the money and stability is, it's just that a lot of young people either don't care about it or aren't paying any attention all. It's trivial to hustle when your field is growing by 30% every year.

Truth. I did political science for my undergraduate degree. All my friends went into engineering or pre-med. If only I could go back in time :smith:

• Locked thread