Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crunk Magnet
Feb 19, 2004
Poop Soup
Problem description: When I am asleep and my computer is idle it reboots and my SSD is no longer recognized. The first time this happened to my SSD it brought me to a blue screen telling me to do a system repair but wouldn't let me because the drive was locked. It eventually rebooted after repairing startup files with a USB stick containing a windows image. I bought a new hard drive, formatted it and now the same thing is happening to my new drive.

Right now my computer is working normally but it could reboot to the "windows needs to be repaired" blue screen.

Attempted fixes:
Formatted and reinstalled windows,
Bought a system restore disc alternative for $20 since I didn't have a USB restore stick configured already. (didn't recognize the SSD)
Bought a new SSD and formatted and installed windows again,
Swapped SATA connectors around,
Unplugged other hard drives since they somehow got corrupted as well
attempted doing a system recovery using a system restore USB drive (SSD not recognized)
Removed all dust from the inside of the case

Recent changes: None, it just started happening recently.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1

System specs:
Intel Core i7-3770k CPU @ 3.5ghz (8 cpu),
32GB DDR 1600 ram,
Nvidia GTX 670 video card,
450 watt power supply,
128gb SSD (x110 by Sandisk) This was the first SSD to reboot to a blue screen that told me it couldn't find winloader.exe and I need to repair or recover windows
The second hard drive I replaced it with is a PNY 240gb SSD.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I am thinking my computer might be overheating because my CPU fan is only putting out anywhere from 300 to 400 something RPM (new one is in the mail). If the computer begins to overheat it will automatically shut down and attempt to reboot right? And when it does that my windows boot files might be corrupted, right? If I could fix this without resorting to buying more hardware that would be ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
What motherboard do you have? What PNY SSD do you have? What power supply do you have? It's really hard to give helpful advice when you aren't telling us what's in your computer. You can use RealTemp to actually check the CPU temperatures and see how hot they are, so you're not just assuming there might be a problem based on fan RPM. You can also run a memory diagnostic from a Memtest86+ boot device to check for memory errors, which can be common when running 32GB of RAM.

• Locked thread