Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

The Long Dark is a survival game on Steam Early Access. It's in alpha, currently. There's a sandbox mode, and eventually there will be an episodic story mode.

The Premise
There has been a geomagnetic event. Nothing electric works anymore. You have to survive. You are in Canada. It's going to snow soon. Find shelter.

Ugh, another survival g
There are no zombies.

Okay I'm on board, how do you play
It's played in first-person. Your HUD is very minimal unless you bring up the survival screen; you'll get little notices when you're hungry or thirsty or your condition (i.e. health) is lowered. You can bring up the survival screen to do a variety of things, like eat food or start a fire.

When you start the game, you can choose to be the lady or the guy (there is no functional difference), choose your difficulty (Pilgrim is more calm; wildlife doesn't attack you) and to start in Mystery Lake or Coastal Highway. I haven't actually played Mystery Lake yet, but you can visit whichever area you didn't start in by following train tracks. A third, larger (3x3 km) area is due to be added in the first week of February.

You must monitor several things. If you don't, your condition decreases. They are:
  • Fatigue: this goes up the longer you go without sleep, and goes up more if you're hungry. The more fatigued you are, the less you can carry, and the worse you get at things in general. Reduce it with coffee or get some sleep.
  • Cold: this goes up when you're cold. Wear warm clothing. Don't go out in blizzards. Don't walk into the wind. Start a fire. Light your lantern. Watch the skies.
  • Hunger: eat food. Keep your calories up. Don't starve.
  • Thirst: Drink water. Drink soda. Melt snow. Boil water. Drink water. Eat peaches.

Other things can also lower your condition or kill you outright:
  • Falling off of things
  • Food poisoning
  • Falling through weak ice.
  • A wolf

Tips:
  • Make sure to watch the condition of your clothes, and patch up good ones with a sewing kit before they hit 0% and are ruined. This goes for other important items (hatchets, hunting knives, gun), too. Fix them before they break!
  • Good clothes aren't just useful for cold: they make wolves hurt less, too.
  • Watch out for Fluffy.
  • If you have gun, shoot a wolf once in the head, shoulder, or heart. If you don't kill it outright, follow it until it bleeds to death.
  • Don't waste bullets. If you herd deer towards wolves, you can shoot a wolf and get the deer too.
  • Foraging for wood outdoors can get you attacked by wolves while you're distracted. Foraging for wood indoors is limited per-building and gets you lovely firewood, but the tinder is the same quality as outside. Softwood is easier to light than hardwood, but doesn't last as long. Don't waste matches. Never waste accelerant.
  • You can break into car trunks (using a prybar if they're locked) to obtain goods, just like in real life!
  • Cars are motionless metal shells, useful only for temporary shelter and the belongings of the previous occupants!
  • You can use tools to repair other tools. Repair quality tools with simple tools or you're a tool.
  • Harvest lovely crap for materials.
  • Hot tea is nice on a cold day, and helps stave off the cold. There's won't be any more of it once you drink it all.
  • Where is everyone?
  • You can right-click to put a lantern on a surface. Don't waste lantern fuel. You're not sure where to get more once it runs out.
  • Everyone is gone. You tell yourself that they're coming back when the snow melts, but something in the back of your head tells you they aren't.
  • Don't get food poisoning. If you get food poisoning, take antibiotics.
  • The radios don't work. You can't even get static out of them. They might not ever work.
  • You're going to die. Try to die later.

FAQs:
I hear a wolf howling
Head away from the wolf.

I can see the wolf
Stop moving. Try to get out of sight. They can see you better if you're running.

The wolf can see me
Scare it away with a flare using the 1 key (hold the left mouse button to light it); you might have luck throwing the flare (but make sure you can go and get it if it works). Walking towards the wolf might work; walking away from it is better. Shoot the wolf if you have gun.

I don't have a flare or gun
Run. Press 4 to drop food to distract it. Get inside. Wolves can't break down doors.

I am being mauled by a wolf
Press the left mouse button as fast as you can to build power; press the right mouse button to hit the wolf. Have a hunting knife.

I killed the wolf
Good job! Use bandage and antiseptic or you will die. You're carrying both, right? Take some meat, and maybe skin it for the hide (save up for a bitchin' and warm wolfskin coat) and gut it for the gut. Watch out for wolves.

The wolf killed me
Try again and be more careful this time.

Screenshots

Where do I buy this?
Steam. Currently it's $20. You can wait until it goes on sale, too.

And, finally
Watch out for Fluffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

~*~reserved~*~

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
i really like this game im finally at the point where im shooting wolves and not getting eaten but i didnt repair my pants and now im walking around completely naked from waist to ankle

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

this is how you know you are hosed

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.
This sweet rear end game just got a rear end big update

The Long Dark -- Sandbox Alpha -- v.192 Changelist

MAJOR ADDITIONS

* New Region! Pleasant Valley. Nearly 10 square kilometres of rural mountain valley.
* New Mystery Wildlife! Keep your eyes open.
* Harvestable Plants. Collect Old Man's Beard Lichen, Rose Hips, and Reishi Mushrooms and craft natural remedies.
* Torch Brandishing. Craft Torches and Brandish them against Wolves. You might scare them off!
* Visual Inventory. Completely redone Inventory screen with improved navigation and embedded Repair and Harvesting actions.

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

* General improvements to wildlife AI, to support better player decision-making about Fight or Flight response and clarify wildlife presence and intent.
* Predators are now attracted to the smell of Blood (bleeding wounds, raw meat, etc.) and will come investigate if within range.
* Scent is now affected by Wind speed and direction.
* All Beds now have a Warmth value displayed in the Rest interface.
* Bedrolls now lose Condition and must be maintained. It's possible to find multiple Bedrolls in the world.
* All fires now visualize their state (ignition, full burn, cooling off, coals) through flame, sparks, and smoke. Smoke also respects wind direction.
* Various new sounds, and many previous sounds have been replaced based on a new foley recording session.
* Many UI improvements throughout.
* Updated Silent Hunter and Pacifist achievements to clarify they need to happen in the first days of a game (not after many days have already passed).
* German and Russian translations have been fully updated.

then some bug fixes, who cares.

Pretty excited.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I like the concept of the game but it really irks me that there is no jumping or wielding a hunting knife or a crowbar as a weapon. Also clothes seem to degrade way to fast. MY IMMERSION!

On the plus side: the environment looks quite nice

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

the panacea posted:

I like the concept of the game but it really irks me that there is no jumping or wielding a hunting knife or a crowbar as a weapon. Also clothes seem to degrade way to fast. MY IMMERSION!

On the plus side: the environment looks quite nice

Agreed on all counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Man, this game is loving hard, but I'm really enjoying it. I pretty much lucked out right at the beginning of my second game and found pretty much everything in the first five minutes and didn't even manage to make 2 days.

Definitely the best straight up survival game out there.

• Locked thread