Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Anyone know a thing in Athens, Greece ?

My parents are going there next week, so money isn't exactly a massive object but no like 3* 100€ plates. 3 course slightly upscale greek food is perfect.

Many thanks:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
A friend is going to Venice (Italy) on the weekend and asked if I had any recommendation food wise. Do you guys have any tips for central Venice? Could be street food or normal lunch/dining affairs. She is alone and doesn't want to do fine dining on her own.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

Hopper posted:

A friend is going to Venice (Italy) on the weekend and asked if I had any recommendation food wise. Do you guys have any tips for central Venice? Could be street food or normal lunch/dining affairs. She is alone and doesn't want to do fine dining on her own.

I was in Venice last year, and I got a lot of good recommendations from the Osteria Italia, a restaurant guidebook published by the Italian slow food movement, with an emphasis on local and traditional food. The only disadvantage is that most of the places it recommends aren't in the city centre, but Venice isn't too large or hard to navigate. On the other hand, these places generally aren't more expensive (sometimes much cheaper!) than the sort of generic Italian food you find in the tourist-heavy areas, as well as cooking better and more interesting food. By the by, it's not quite street food, but in Venice there's a kind of restaurant called a cicchetteria, which serves chicchetti, small dishes eaten with wine, sort of like Italian tapas.

Anyway, here are some restaurants the guide recommended that aren't too inaccessible for someone staying in the center of Venice.

Ca’ d’Oro detta Alla Vedova: It's down a back alley, but it's easy to find on google maps. The guidebook also recommends booking in advance, which we didn't bother with, but is probably worth doing. The food is mostly traditional Venetian chicchetti and restaurant food with an emphasis on seafood. They apparently do very good fried meatballs as part of their chicchetti and antipasti, though I never got to try those. It doesn't have a website, but you can find the menu in the pictures in its google maps page (and, for some reason, the menus from several other restaurants - the right ones are at the bottom of the list).

La Bitta: Unusually for Venice, this is a meat focused restaurant - it doesn't serve any fish, and it doesn't have much for vegetarians. It also doesn't take credit cards, and from what I remember, the service was slow. The food was good, though, and they did some very nice desserts, so I'd still recommend it. As before, the menu can be found in the google maps page.

Dalla Marisa: I haven't actually eaten here, so I can't say that much about it. It's also fairly far from the center of Venice, but it's quite close to the train station, which might be convenient for your friend. It also does a 17 euro fixed price lunch menu, which is pretty good value and a 40 euro dinner menu (or at least, it did in 2019).

Chiccheteria: Bar Al'Arco, Chiccheteria da Luca e Fred, Osteria da Codroma, and Osteria al Portego. The only one I've actually been to is the Al'Arco, which was very good, and happily also the one most convenient to the city centre. They all come highly recommended, though.

If you want, I can send you the machine-translated versions of the guidebooks description. If your friend is going to be travelling around Italy more, and can read Italian or doesn't mind putting up with machine translations, it might be worth her while to buy a copy. It's a fairly comprehensive book, and I found the detail about local food specialties and traditions to be helpful.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Much appreciated, but she is only there for 3 days, I think this will do nicely.

Killa B
Jul 11, 2007
My wife and I will be going to Vermont for a week in the summer to celebrate our anniversary. We're staying in Stowe primarily but will be in Burlington for our actual anniversary. Any suggestions for a nice dinner? We're open to any style.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

How about Knoxville, TN? My expectations are low

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Kind of a specific request, but are there any good vegan bakeries in Boston, MA? Have an overnight work trip and my friend is watching my dog for me, I told her I would bring her back a tasty vegan treat as thanks.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

C-Euro posted:

Kind of a specific request, but are there any good vegan bakeries in Boston, MA? Have an overnight work trip and my friend is watching my dog for me, I told her I would bring her back a tasty vegan treat as thanks.

One of my favorite bakeries on earth, Flour Bakery, has an amazing vegan chocolate cake. Oakleaf Cakes also always has a number of vegan options.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

DogoDogo posted:

One of my favorite bakeries on earth, Flour Bakery, has an amazing vegan chocolate cake. Oakleaf Cakes also always has a number of vegan options.

Flour Bakery is awesome. i can't speak specifically to their vegan offerings, but you won't be disappointed. I highly suggest ordering whatever online as they tend to get busy.

EDIT: If you're going to be there anyway, their sandwitches are really good and you should have one.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 18, 2020

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
I would live at Flour Bakery if I could. Or Tartine Bakery in SF.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

DogoDogo posted:

I would live at Flour Bakery if I could. Or Tartine Bakery in SF.

Both of those are drat good bakeries.

I’m also going to Knoxville like the poster a few posts back. I head there Sunday for a few days and I think most of my meals are planned with the training group I’m headed there for, but I think I have Sunday night open for dinner after I get in if anyone knows of anything good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

DogoDogo posted:

Well drat, I'll have to buy an extra piece for myself.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Sorry to revive an old thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for Palm Springs? I know someone asked earlier in the thread, but they didn't get any results.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am going to Milan for 1 day on Wednesday, arriving at Porta Garibaldi. Does anyone happen to have a tip for lunch or early dinner? Alternatively, what local dishes are a good choice?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Hopper posted:

I am going to Milan for 1 day on Wednesday, arriving at Porta Garibaldi. Does anyone happen to have a tip for lunch or early dinner? Alternatively, what local dishes are a good choice?

A couple of thoughts:
1) the easiest recommendation is to send you to the bigger train station, Centrale (it’s walkable) and the food hall there, Mercato Centrale, is very good. Has a pizza stand, pasta, seafood, bakeries, etc, all done to a high level. So ticks a lot of boxes

2) Some of the classic dishes are cotoletta, which is basically a veal schnitzel, and osso bucco and risotto Milanese, which is beef shank stew and saffron risotto. Can be good, but I’d honestly consider a fried veal cutlet a missed opportunity over very well done “Italian” even if they’re more specifically “Milanese”.

3) There’s an old school Tuscan steakhouse, Osteria la Carbonaia, next to the catholic university campus. Can get there on the metro, and can’t be beat if you’re looking for a big hunk of beef done Florentine style. Yes I know this contradicts point 2, but I make no claims of internal consistency.

4) if you’re looking for a blowout experience, Carlo Cracco has his flagship restaurant near the Duomo, in the galleria Vittorio Emmanuele. So if money is literally no object it’s gorgeous and fancy and very Italian.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 20, 2023

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So, me again. This one may be tricky.

Going to Singapore for 10 days on Saturday and wondering if there is any dish I should try that is usually not mentioned. Chili crab, chicken rice etc. is all well documented.

But do you know something Europeans often miss? Or small places we should go to that are not widely know but have great food? We plan to visit places all over the city, so chances are we can go almost anywhere except the most out of the way places.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe
I am visiting Glasgow (5 days) with a 2 day side trip to Edinburgh. Suggestions for restaurants would be appreciated. Also need good places to drink scotch.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Depending on your price range, Stravaigin and Ubiquitous Chip are both very good. On the cheaper end, I was fond of the University Cafe, Old Salty's for fish and chips, and ice cream from Jaconelli's. The west end and Kelvingrove in particular have a lot of good options, so just pulling up Google Maps and seeing what you like the look of should be fine. There's also the Shish Mahal, which claims to be the origin of chicken tikka masala, if that seems interesting.

It's been years since I've lived in Glasgow, though, so you should probably check reviews first.

e: It's not a restaurant, but George Bower in Edinburgh is a butcher that does some very nice meat pies.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

Jo Joestar posted:

Depending on your price range, Stravaigin and Ubiquitous Chip are both very good. On the cheaper end, I was fond of the University Cafe, Old Salty's for fish and chips, and ice cream from Jaconelli's. The west end and Kelvingrove in particular have a lot of good options, so just pulling up Google Maps and seeing what you like the look of should be fine. There's also the Shish Mahal, which claims to be the origin of chicken tikka masala, if that seems interesting.

It's been years since I've lived in Glasgow, though, so you should probably check reviews first.

e: It's not a restaurant, but George Bower in Edinburgh is a butcher that does some very nice meat pies.

All sounds good, thanks! Mrs.Geek and I are very excited about our visit. Do all Scottish pubs have a good selection of scotch, or is there anything in particular we should look for? We both enjoy the gamut, from smokey - peaty to light and sweet. We were disappointed when we realized we would not have enough time for a side visit to Islay and the distilleries there.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have recommendations for Atlanta, Georgia?

I've been here for a while, working a project from hell, but my schedule is finally starting to open back up again and I want to get a better sense of Atlanta's food scene.

A few things I'm looking for are:
  • A genuinely good cocktail bar. Somewhere I can have two or three drinks and read a book. The only recommendation I've gotten was a tiki bar over in Decatur or something.
  • Vietnamese, preferably on the west side of town if possible
  • Indian, again preferably on the west side of town
  • Korean and Caribbean food are easily available here, but are there any spots in particular that I should check out?
Other than that, I'm pretty open. I'm from Houston so I am basically a trash can of a human being that eats anything and everything. It's just gotta be good.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

GEEKABALL posted:

All sounds good, thanks! Mrs.Geek and I are very excited about our visit. Do all Scottish pubs have a good selection of scotch, or is there anything in particular we should look for? We both enjoy the gamut, from smokey - peaty to light and sweet. We were disappointed when we realized we would not have enough time for a side visit to Islay and the distilleries there.

Sorry, I wasn't much of a drinker when I lived there, so I can't help much with that. From what I remember, pubs are generally too downmarket to carry a variety of whisky. You'd probably be better off looking for speciality shops, or upmarket restaurants or bars. FWIW, Ubiquitous Chip says it has a good selection.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

GEEKABALL posted:

I am visiting Glasgow (5 days) with a 2 day side trip to Edinburgh. Suggestions for restaurants would be appreciated. Also need good places to drink scotch.
I had dinner in Glaschu, near the modern art gallery, and it was pretty good. Also ate in Chaakoo which was a bit underwhelming, though maybe it's better for non-vegetarian food. I haven't lived in Edinburgh for a while but Sabzi near Leith is good. Actually, Leith has a lot of very good (and expensive) restaurants.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

GEEKABALL posted:

For Edinburgh both Rocksalt Cafe and Scott's Kithen do great breakfasts. Certainly way above most hotel breakfasts.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Hopper posted:

So, me again. This one may be tricky.

Going to Singapore for 10 days on Saturday and wondering if there is any dish I should try that is usually not mentioned. Chili crab, chicken rice etc. is all well documented.

But do you know something Europeans often miss? Or small places we should go to that are not widely know but have great food? We plan to visit places all over the city, so chances are we can go almost anywhere except the most out of the way places.

Find a hawker center that sells clams (most of them). If you are convincing and adventurous they'll make them medium rare which is technically not legal but w/e. I can't give specific recco cuz I've only been here for a year, but unless you have an infinite budget, just pick a random hawker stall and you will probably end up with some amazing dishes.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

:tipshat: :tipshat: :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I have to go to Tampa for work soon-ish and was hoping to find a place or two around the area to check out, preferably a place where reservations aren't recommended as I have no idea which nights I'll be free of work obligations. It'll just be me, and I'd be comfortable spending up to $150-ish without drinks. If it's under $75, that'd be dope too, as that's my daily meal cap and id be happy to spend it all for one meal. Any help would be appreciated!