Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This and Boogiepop Phantom were my second and third non-mainstream anime after Escaflowne, and they really warped what kind of shows I would watch for some years after. If it didn't have acid-laced mindfuckery going on, I thought it was booooooooring, but what could I say to my tweeny self to think otherwise?

Wasn't there an OVA for Lain put out? I think I need to find a copy of that just to see what it was about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No OAV as far as I know, you might be thinking of the PS1 game that has some movies floating around.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

AlternateNu posted:

This and Boogiepop Phantom were my second and third non-mainstream anime after Escaflowne, and they really warped what kind of shows I would watch for some years after. If it didn't have acid-laced mindfuckery going on, I thought it was booooooooring, but what could I say to my tweeny self to think otherwise?

Wasn't there an OVA for Lain put out? I think I need to find a copy of that just to see what it was about.

As I've said before, there is the anime, the ps1 game and a three chapter manga included in the Japanese art book. They are all considered Canon, even when they contradict each other

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Oe4e7vjhw

bwahahaha

e: lots of bass covers on yt for this song

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 16, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly ive heard way worse fan covers on youtube

at least her mic/mixing is okay and she's actually singing instead of mumbling so she doesnt wake her parents up

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

naw it's pretty bad mostly for the engrish factor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfZ16dk6hfY

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i didnt say it was 'good' just 'not the worst cover on youtube, technically speaking'

why do you spend your time trawling youtube for people singing an anime op badly

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

5 minutes was a lot of time i admit

and just to be clear i don't disagree with anything you're saying, i literally said i find it funny bad because of the engrish, regardless of the quality

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 16, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I like it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

I like it.
yeah im looping it and its kind of growing on me

her accent is pretty thick but it isn't unlistenably so

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

Sharkopath posted:

I like it.

same

i also like her cover of the mushishi s2 op

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sorry to bump, but here's a website that transcribes everything in the Lain video game. I hope you enjoy it

http://lain.xq3.ru/index.html

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've come to the conclusion that I like Paranoia Agent more than Lain. Better characters overall, more thematically coherent, and it's also hilarious as poo poo.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Overall I enjoyed it. I think I was lost a bit though because I only have time to see an episode or two a night and when I reviewed the plot I realized there were a few little things I just didn't catch. I also switched from the dub to the sub like three episodes in.

The episode I enjoyed the most was the one that went over the history of the network, especially when they went over John C Lilly's work.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I think my favourite episode was the one where her sister slowly fades away.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Sharkopath posted:

I think my favorite bit of visual design from it was the way that bubble patterns were placed over areas of shadow in the environment, like in your screen there.

I know I must have seen it in other productions but I always associate it with Lain specifically.

I always thought of that as blood splatter based on all the suicide stuff that's happening.

My favorite visual bit is the incredible amount of power lines and wires in most of the backgrounds. There's usually a low frequency hum to accompany them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Brutakas posted:

I always thought of that as blood splatter based on all the suicide stuff that's happening.

My favorite visual bit is the incredible amount of power lines and wires in most of the backgrounds. There's usually a low frequency hum to accompany them too.

That was my take. It really helped sell the atmosphere by giving the sense of there being something dark hiding under the facade.

• Locked thread