Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome earthlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month
2011:
January: John Keats, Endymion
Febuary/March: Miguel Cervantes, Don Quixote
April: Laurell K. Hamilton, Obsidian Butterfly
May: Richard A. Knaak - Diablo #1: Legacy of Blood
June: Pamela Britton - On The Move
July: Raymond Chandler - The Big Sleep
August: Louis L'Amour - Bendigo Shafter
September: Ian Fleming - Moonraker
October: Ray Bradbury - Something Wicked This Way Comes
November: John Ringo - Ghost
December: James Branch Cabell - Jurgen

2012:
January: G.K. Chesterton - The Man Who Was Thursday
Febuary: M. Somerset Maugham - Of Human Bondage
March: Joseph Heller - Catch-22
April: Zack Parsons - Liminal States
May: Haruki Murakami - Norwegian Wood
June: James Joyce - Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
July: William S. Burroughs - Naked Lunch
August: William Faulkner - The Sound & The Fury
September/October: Leo Tolstoy - War & Peace
November: David Mitchell - Cloud Atlas
December: Kurt Vonnegut - Mother Night

January: Walter M. Miller - A Canticle for Liebowitz
Febuary: Alfred Bester - The Stars My Destination
March: Kazuo Ishiguro - Remains Of The Day
April: Don Delillo - White Noise
May: Anton LeVey - The Satanic Bible
June/July: Susanna Clarke - Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
August: Michael Swanwick - Stations of the Tide
September: John Wyndham - Day of the Triffids
October: Shirley Jackson - The Haunting of Hill House
November: Iain Banks - The Wasp Factory
December: Roderick Thorp - Nothing Lasts Forever

2014:
January: Ursula K. LeGuin - The Left Hand of Darkness
February: Mikhail Bulgalov - Master & Margarita
March: Richard P. Feynman -- Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!
April: James Joyce -- Dubliners
May: Gabriel Garcia Marquez -- 100 Years of Solitude
June: Howard Zinn -- A People's History of the United States
July: Mary Renault -- The Last of the Wine
August: Barbara Tuchtman -- The Guns of August
September: Jane Austen -- Pride and Prejudice
October: Roger Zelazny -- A Night in the Lonesome October
November: John Gardner -- Grendel
December: Christopher Moore -- The Stupidest Angel

2015:
January: Italo Calvino -- Invisible Cities

Current:My Struggle: Book 1 by Karl Ove Knausgaard.

About the Author

Karl Ove Knausgård (Norwegian pronunciation: [ˈkɑɭ ˈuːvə ˈknæʉsˌgɔɖ]; born 6 December 1968) is a Norwegian author, known for six autobiographical novels, titled My Struggle (Min Kamp).[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Ove_Knausg%C3%A5rd

Discussion, Questions & Themes:

Please let's stick to the English title otherwise I'm gonna get freaked out. Apparently this is six books? We're just reading the first one. Y'all picked this one so y'all talk about it.

Pacing

No pacing or spoiler rules this month especially since it's a short month and I've gotten the thread up late (sorry!)

Final Note:

If you have any suggestions to change, improve or assess the book club generally, please PM or email me -- i.e., keep it out of this thread -- at least until into the last five days of the month, just so we don't derail discussion of the current book with meta-discussion. I do want to hear new ideas though, seriously, so please do actually PM or email me or whatever, or if you can't do either of those things, just hold that thought till the last five days of the month before posting it in this thread. Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Each translated volume has an alternate English title, and you could always just change the thread name to A Death in the Family, if you're really that worried.

Only echoing what I said in the WDYJF thread: I enjoyed it a lot. There's very little in the way of Norwegian peculiarities (aside from maybe the mentions of food -- do Scandinavians really eat that much bread?), so it came as a sort of comfort to read through the banality of Karl Ove's boyhood and early career as a writer. Like a lot of online reviews have said, it felt like cracking open the diary of a long-lost friend.

Can't for the life of me understand why his father's family would take issue with the book (maybe the later installments are more scandalous), because I didn't find anything at all damning by the time I finished.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals
I started reading the first book a while ago but never finished, hopefully this'll serve as some motivation.

Mira posted:

Only echoing what I said in the WDYJF thread: I enjoyed it a lot. There's very little in the way of Norwegian peculiarities (aside from maybe the mentions of food -- do Scandinavians really eat that much bread?), so it came as a sort of comfort to read through the banality of Karl Ove's boyhood and early career as a writer. Like a lot of online reviews have said, it felt like cracking open the diary of a long-lost friend.

Like I said I never finished the first book but I'm living in Sweden and I don't think Swedish culture is that different from Norwegian but I'd say Scandinavians eat a lot less bread than Americans. Here people have bread at breakfast and maybe as a snack but almost never for lunch or as a complete meal.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Just started reading. I don't know how good the translation is, but the norwegian prose is really good. I can confirm that norwegians eat a lot of bread, at least I do.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mira posted:

(aside from maybe the mentions of food -- do Scandinavians really eat that much bread?)

Bread is a staple food in these parts. Many of us eat bread daily, and maybe even more than once a day, such as breakfast, lunch, on the side with soup, as a snack in the evening, etc. Its also commonly served in ceremonies like weddings, funerals, and so on. I haven't read the books, but I will presume that whatever Knausgård mentions about bread will be pretty accurate.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Has Knausgard ever said why he picked such a loaded title?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Fun fact: The German edition of the book was titled "Sterben" (zu sterben = to die). Translating the title directly would be of course be unthinkable.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

cloudchamber posted:

Has Knausgard ever said why he picked such a loaded title?

I found this video interview -- he discusses the title in the first few minutes (I timestamped it at 1 minute 38 seconds) and admits that it was intentional.

If you don't want to watch the video: He wanted to explore some kind of dialectical relationship between something that he considers 'pure ideology' (Hitler's Mein Kampf) and the mundanity of everyday living. Sounds pretty half-baked when I read it out like that, but I think he executes it fairly well in the first book.

Apparently Book 6 of the series has a 400-page essay discussing Hitler's life.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Before I even realized "oh poo poo isn't that the title of Hitler's book" I assumed it was just an ironic way to frame a meticulous chronicling of an ordinary life as a heroic epic

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Wrapped this up today and I really liked it. Reminded a bit of the Rabbit Series by Updike. The prose was totally on point in the Don Bartlett translation.

The US title of Death in The Family is obviously a much better indication of what you're getting yourself into. I'd love to get my hands on the second book. In the meantime I'm going to dig into some Proust and keep the nostalgia train going.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

The weirdest part about these books for me was the realisation that I [used to] hang out in most of the same places Knausgård did when he was a student. Like, jesus christ is there overlap

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

V. Illych L. posted:

The weirdest part about these books for me was the realisation that I [used to] hang out in most of the same places Knausgård did when he was a student. Like, jesus christ is there overlap

I was reading a Kent Haruf novel recently where he describes a student apartment building in Fort Collins and I was suddenly like "Oh poo poo, I lived there."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh crap, time flies. We already need suggestions for next month!

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

First time I've ever made a suggestion so feel free to shoot me down, but people seem to be talking a lot about Knut Hamsun in the forums, so I'm throwing in a vote for Hunger.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mira posted:

First time I've ever made a suggestion so feel free to shoot me down, but people seem to be talking a lot about Knut Hamsun in the forums, so I'm throwing in a vote for Hunger.

That's actually what I was thinking also, for the same reason (but still open to other suggestions). I've got a copy on my kindle I've been meaning to start reading for years now, and it would keep our vaguely Nazi-related theme going for two months running!

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Started reading this yesterday, about 100 pages in now. I was skeptical at first, but I'm really liking it. I'm not seeing much of the oft-mentioned banality here, to be honest. Yes, the things he goes through are things all of us have been through, but it doesn't necessarily make them banal. The way Knausgaard describes them makes them something more than a friend's diary or blog. The style is very clear, almost transparent, but it's all about choosing the moments off one's life to focus on, and he does that great so far.

Also, in the beginning part there were a few scenes that I think were left there as a sort of a 'key' to the whole enterprise. The discussion of death and the meaninglessness of it as seen on the TV screen - which is literally what the narrator sees in the beginning - is a big clue to answer the 'why' question. He wants to make his life meaningful by taking it to other peoples' homes, in all its minute glories and pains.

Then there's the discussion of his face in the mirror that dissolves in Rembrandt's self-portrait - the greatest of his work according to Knausgaard, the narrator. Once again, to me it implies explaining himself and Min Kamp project. Rembrandt died that year, but he left his 'essence' that has withstood the pressure of centuries, and there's no goal bigger than that.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
I could go for Hunger.

I've been really busy, so I haven't had a chance to read that much yet. Still, I'm really enjoying it. I grew up in a place close to where Knausgård grew up, and it's pretty much like reading about one of my classmates, the situations are really familiar.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
It doesn't have to be next month, but since so many people are trying Stravinsky's challenge it'd probably be a good idea to make The Blind Owl book of the month at some point.
edit: oh crap, it's been book of the month already.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Two months with Norwegian authors as BOTM picks feels pretty sweet. :norway:

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
I think Hunger is a great choice. I'd definitely haunt the thread and point out some of the references to other Scandinavian authors that Hamsun sneaks in to the text.

Which translation would you be recommending? There's a bit of difference in quality between some of them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hedningen posted:

I think Hunger is a great choice. I'd definitely haunt the thread and point out some of the references to other Scandinavian authors that Hamsun sneaks in to the text.

Which translation would you be recommending? There's a bit of difference in quality between some of them.

Please recommend us some translations, I have no idea.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
theres no way im going to read that book. there is zero chance of me reading any of these books, op!

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
i did read white noise, but im trying to figure out how to completely forget it, out of spite, op

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Please recommend us some translations, I have no idea.

The Lyngstad translation is the best. Bly's translation is all right, but mixes up a few key points in the novel - while the geography is kept slightly vague, there's a definite topography to Hunger that gets harder to follow in the older translation. And avoid the translation by Egerton - it censors and omits a lot of stuff that's kinda crucial to the text. Overall, I've taught to both the Bly and Lyngstad translations, but Lyndgstad is better for when people are reading in a mixed Norwegian/English reading group.

The only benefit to the Egerton translation is that you can get it for free, but it's not worth it. A lot of early translations of Scandinavian texts got hit hard by the censors back in the day, which is especially hilarious when you consider that one of the major points of the Modern Breakthrough (the most important literary period people never seem to know about) is that open discussion of topics like sexuality and social issues in literature is the only way to prevent literature from dying. Someday, I will finish my translation of Den Bergtagna to right some of those wrongs.

EDIT: Not to try and influence the choice, but I prepped a nice effortpost for the circumstances surrounding the literary climate of Scandinavia during the period and part of what Hamsun was doing when he wrote Hunger, to hopefully add some historical context to the novel.

Hedningen fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 21, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Would anyone be interested in maybe doing a hot of the presses book sometime?

I Am Radar is coming out tomorrow and it might be cool sometime to go into a book without any cultural or historical expectations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Just finished it. The main point of contention about the books in Norway has been the way Knausgård describes the other people in his family. Personally, I'm divided on the isssue. While is father is obviously a dick, it doesn't really seem fair to not give him a chance to defend himself. In My Struggle 1, most of the people that are portrayed in a controversial manner were dead at the time of writing, so how his father or grandmother would have reacted is anyones guess. However, "Uncle Gunnar" tried to stop My Struggle 1 from being published. Uncle Gunnar wrote to norwegian newspaper VG at the time of publication of My Struggle 6:

Uncle Gunnar posted:

After all these books, he wants the readers to feel sorry for him and his compatriots. Throughout the books he places the blame on other people: They're the bad guys that want to hurt him. The writer believes that he can write whatever he wants without consequence, and then cry about the reactions he gets afterwards.

That's not what the real world is like.

I would like to specify that we've always had a good relationship with the writer and his brother, and have lived under the illusion that the feeling was mutual. His paternal grandparents also loved and cared for their grandchildren. They were duped, but luckily they didn't live to experience the humiliation. With that in mind it is particularly disappointing when loyalty and trust is broken by placing his grandparents, father and others close to him as unwilling extras in his attempt to acheive fame.

The mixture of truths, half-truths and lies makes the matter even more serious.

The humiliation of the people he interacts with is a literary device he uses in all of his books. Where's the artistic merit and heroicness in treating people this way?

Half-assedly translated by me, the full text in Norwegian here: http://www.vg.no/nyheter/meninger/hilsen-fra-onkel-gunnar/a/10031566/

What do you think? Is there a limit for what it's acceptable to write about other people without their consent?

• Locked thread