Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Last summer we rescued a kitten from a pet shop located in a farmers market. The pet store has a horrible reputation. It was 90*+ outside and they put the kittens and puppy's in completely enclosed plexiglass container. They got in trouble for this before and were told they couldn't sell puppy's and instead of fixing the situation he just signed the store over to his wife.

http://mobile.philly.com/blogs/?wss=/philly/blogs/pets/&id=99997924

It's not uncommon to go into the store in summer and seeing dead rats and mice with no water in blazing heat in cages with no air flow and the shop is not air conditioned. Also an employee got fired for stomping a kitten to death.

http://articles.mcall.com/2001-10-19/news/3385887_1_kitten-pet-store-stomping

Anyway we walked by and saw this kitten laying their in the heat and were pissed and got her out of their. This is her and with her big brother.

They gave us a card with her birthdate and a date when it supposedly got her first shots. I made an appointment with the vet on the way home for three days later have everything checked out. Within an hour she went poop and their was blood and mucus on the stool so right off to the vet we went. I called the pet store to see what the gently caress and they said bring her back for a refund. I think they had to have noticed their was blood in her poo poo because they didn't seem concerned at all.

Anyway the vet gave her new shots and pills for worms but we didn't see anyworms. They said the mucus might be from the type of worm shot they gave her and to keep an eye on it. It's been on and off with the bloody poop since then. We take her to the vet when it last more then three days (five times since the first visit) but they don't do much besides charging us $80 and say keep an eye on it. The blood is on top of the poop and bright so it seems like it after the actual poop and from the end of the digestive track. She doesn't seem in pain at all and acts 'normal'(see the end of my post) like a healthy kitten.

Any idea what I can do to be helping my cat or what could be causing this? I feel like my vet being relaxed on it is a good sign it's not uncommon but is frustrating that it seems like he isn't doing enough. The other cats are well taking care of by them also.

To add to the 'pet store of horror' the kitten is really scared of me. Like hides when she sees me and won't come over to us when were in bed or on the sofa together. My wife says she's a whole different cat when I'm gone. Playful and loving and follows her around. I think this is because I'm a similar height and weight as the owner of the pet store and he abused the cat and she has a fear of me because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

I see no one else has any suggestions..so I'll go ahead and float my two cents.

have you tried adding fiber to your cats diet? Maybe her poops are to hard or to big and irritate or rip her a little on the way out. Kind of like hemorrhoids in humans. I know in the past, people here have suggested putting canned pumpkin (not the pie stuff, plain) in food or some miralax in the water.

DreamtShadow
Aug 21, 2010

Did you pay for the kitten, and therefore techinically reinforce that they could do that and buy more kittens because 'people buy them anyway?'

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

It's in general not a good idea to give money to pet store owners like that, as heartbreaking as it is to walk away from animals in distress. Having said that, you can't change what you've already done, and I'm glad you're giving kitty a nice home where she'll hopefully be healthy and happy.

What are her stools like aside from the blood? Are they well formed turds, or soft and blobby? Are they very dense and hard?

I've seen blood in very soft blobby stools in shelter cats, and we give them five weekly doses of an oral dewormer (Strongid, a yellow liquid that we administer either straight in the mouth or mixed into wet food), which usually clears it up. Some worms are quite small and buried in the poo, so you may not actually see them.
Also I see another cat in your picture there. Did you worm both cats?

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

The poops with the blood are usually soft. With the blood sitting on top.

Yes we paid for her and I did consider that would be supporting the habits that how they house the animals is okay. We called in a report saying that despite being told they can't sell dogs/cats anymore that they still do in the same conditions that they got in trouble for. The guy just transferred the store into his wife's name so I guess they tricked the law into buying into "new management" so the punishment doesn't apply anymore.

The lovely store owner was actually featured on an episode of American pickers.
Here's a picture of the scumbag

Right now we switched to all meat cat food to see if she has an allergy to fish

I believe that is the dewormer they gave her but will ask at the next vet visit.

The other cat is up to date on everything. He is four years older then the kitten and absolutely adores his new little sister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Playing an active role in redirecting the law's attention to the prick is just as much a means to an end as refusing to buy from him and has the added benefit that the cat doesn't die. If I were you I'd be setting aside some time daily to contact LE but I certainly don't begrudge you your sympathy for the poor cat.* What are the store's details? Maybe there are other locals in this board who can put more pressure on them.

*Other than, you know, it should have been a dog. Dogs uber alles.

• Locked thread