Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
There's only one way to go from the top.

Trine is a side-scrolling action/puzzle platformer developed by Frozenbyte in 2009. We LP'd it a while ago and the videos are here on Youtube. (Playlist with uncut commentary is here.)

But this isn't Trine. This is Trine 2. It was released at the end of 2011 on PC, PS3 and the Xbox Live Arcade. It's since been released for WiiU, PS4 and Android as well. Continuing the tradition of the first game, Trine 2 takes place in your bog-standard pseudo-medieval fantasy setting. Our main characters are Amadeus, a box-summoning wizard; Pontius, a dim-witted knight; and Zoya, an acrobatic thief. You can switch between them at will and use their varying abilities to solve the puzzles that the game throws at you. After learning from the first game, they've changed things up a bit. There are less strict physics puzzles and more general platforming puzzles among some other changes that will be discussed in the LP as they come up.

Oh, and the game is pretty. Really pretty. Prettier than the first one.

Since the three characters in the game have once again come together (literally in their case) to save the kingdom, I've brought my two co-commentators from the first LP back to continue our journey; Action Shakespeare and Almighty Words.

I'll be playing through and collecting the few secrets the game has. I'll post the concept art and poems for each level as I update as well as list them here in the OP. Don't expect anything too hard-core. The game is pretty laid-back and relaxing on the whole, and that's how I play. Perhaps solo-runs of each character will become a thing later...?

Finally, on the subject of spoilers, you can talk about stuff that we haven't seen yet as long as you keep it behind spoiler tags. This is a pretty chill game with a paper-thin story, so it's not the biggest concern for the thread.

Extras!
Forlorn Wilderness -- Concept Art
Forlorn Wilderness -- Poem
Mudwater Dale -- Concept Art
Mudwater Dale -- Poem

Zarah fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Oe2aY4G6A

Almighty Words
Jun 22, 2012

Maybe it's Maybe Lean.
Lets wreak some doofs!

Algo.
Oct 3, 2009
Happy to see you do Trine 2, i just found the thread today.. I'm suprised that no one commented on it at all tho :(

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I enjoyed the videos; I just don't have much to add since there didn't seem to be a lot of new changes between Trine 1 and 2. It's just good to see the physics are still insane to some degree and the game is still janky.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

2nd update perfectly captures their characters.
Pontius doesn't question anything. Amadeus questions everything. Zoya just accepts it and figures "might as well get some treasure out of it"

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
I'm unreasonably disappointed you didn't immediately start maxing boxes on Amadeus and bring every single box and log with you. It's the best way to solve puzzles!

Also, I never knew you could break those rock things that have experience inside. I thought they were just fancy decoration :downs:

I bought a boxed copy of this game which came with a 40-page artbook. At least some of the pictures are the same as the collectible items, and they have a comment snippet from a developer, for example:
"We aimed for a huge snake with fantasy elements, which would look menacing but not scary." -Santtu Huotilainen (animator, I think?)

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
There's only one way to go from the top.
Oh right, there was a thing going on here. A thing involving goblins?

Extras!
Mudwater Dale -- Concept Art
Mudwater Dale -- Poem

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's a better game than Trine 1, that much is certain but I just wish they kept doing Shadowgrounds.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I'm so happy that this is happening! I'd given up hope!
Now I have to go re-watch the lp of the first one to get my fix...

Almighty Words
Jun 22, 2012

Maybe it's Maybe Lean.
Man shakes We have moved past skeletons lets pick on goblins now.

But before that I saw the Shadow grounds mention and just had to let the world know that the only reason Trine 2 is here and we haven't seen more shadow grounds it's because Frozenbyte and Reggie from Nintendo America really REALLY liked goblins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, Pontius is so hard up for quests he'll take them from the greenery. Dude needs an intervention.

• Locked thread