Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

His Divine Shadow posted:

That's good, I'm only 10 years in on the pathological self reliance nerding so far.

Funnily enough I just started watching this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guUra-KozHo

No idea if it's any good or not, though.

PainterofCrap posted:

I heard frequently that TIG is the best & easiest for thinner sheet metal steel, also for aluminum. I was committed but probably would have gone TiG if I was doing it again.

I know people like Jeff from Home build by Jeff is of the same opinion. I'll likely get a TIG welder in the future for bodywork. Another thing I never considered until it was time to grind the welds is how drat hard the MIG welds are, and how long it can take to grind them down (and put in a ton of heat in the metal).

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I don't think tig is the way for bodywork. If you're making something from scratch that's thin, say exhaust or charge pipes it's great.

One note on picking a welder. Rule of thumb is 1 amp per .001" so 125 amp for 1/8" material. Welders have a duty cycle that changes with amperage.

A 125 amp welder with a 20% duty cycle will weld at max output for 2 minutes out of 10. This is wildly frustrating on anything outside a small project so I'd overshoot your heaviest use by quite a bit.

Just body work and nothing else ever? 125 is fine. Maybe a cage or roll bar someday? Get a 225.

Go for CO2 argon mix at the start unless you plan on doing everything outside.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Al-Saqr posted:

Would it be super tacky if i bought a new white camry, two tone it and add paint/decals/wings to make it look like ae86 trueno / Hachiroku?

Without the japanese characters.

How expensive is it to make a paint job additions look like its straight from factory?

Also how hard is it to keep a white car clean and not look grimy/cheap?

doing it with a camry is fundamentally lame when the 86 exists

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah but it looks wank on an actual modern 86 so rules out the window, do whatever you want to your car.

*edit: a modern 86 done up with tofu livery just gets a shrug because it isn't an AE86. Any other car with tofu livery would raise a smile because it makes no sense for it to look like that.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah but you gotta work with the car you have not the car you wish you could have. if I could walk every day to my car and say 'lets hop into the Hachiroku' then it's worth the stupid smile it will put on my face :unsmith:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah but it looks wank on an actual modern 86 so rules out the window, do whatever you want to your car.

*edit: a modern 86 done up with tofu livery just gets a shrug because it isn't an AE86. Any other car with tofu livery would raise a smile because it makes no sense for it to look like that.

I saw a range rover with tofu livery once and it rocked.

Al-Saqr posted:

Would it be super tacky if i bought a new white camry, two tone it and add paint/decals/wings to make it look like ae86 trueno / Hachiroku?

Without the japanese characters.

How expensive is it to make a paint job additions look like its straight from factory?

Also how hard is it to keep a white car clean and not look grimy/cheap?

Would it be tacky? Yes, but in a good way.

How expensive? Probably four figures. Less if you used black vinyl wrap rather than paint. You (and an artist?) might want to sit down with reference images to figure out exactly what a modern "Panda Camry" would look like (I think it would look better on the Corolla Hatchback, but you gotta work with what you have). Then find a vinyl installer who can do the work for you. You could install vinyl yourself, but it would be a try and try again process to get it looking right.

White is one of the most forgiving colors. Wash it every couple of weeks, wax it periodically. Detail the wheels. If you want to spend some money, apply a ceramic coating.

Follow your bliss!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just buy a real Panda AE86, it's about the same price.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I saw a range rover with tofu livery once and it rocked.

Would it be tacky? Yes, but in a good way.

How expensive? Probably four figures. Less if you used black vinyl wrap rather than paint. You (and an artist?) might want to sit down with reference images to figure out exactly what a modern "Panda Camry" would look like (I think it would look better on the Corolla Hatchback, but you gotta work with what you have). Then find a vinyl installer who can do the work for you. You could install vinyl yourself, but it would be a try and try again process to get it looking right.

White is one of the most forgiving colors. Wash it every couple of weeks, wax it periodically. Detail the wheels. If you want to spend some money, apply a ceramic coating.

Follow your bliss!

hey dude thanks so much! I made a mockup of my own that tries to follow the spirit of the Trueno while followng the angles of the body of the car, what do you think? maybe I overdid it with the amber spots and red Advan logo triangle on the gas? would love to know what you think!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I like it better than my mockup, but I don't have any skin in the game. This is why it might be worth spending a few hundo to sit down with a graphic designer for a few hours going back and forth before you commit to a design.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why would someone do up a Subaru like a classic Toyota :smug:

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Hello, have a 2006 scion xb that is now making a weird sound. When I'm braking, from around 25 to 10 mph, it's making a duh duh duh sound. It doesn't happen all the time and seems to mostly happen in stop and go traffic.

It was hit in a parking lot just before the sound started, they dinged up the quarter panel pretty bad and broke the rear side light. I took the wheel off and didn't see anything loose rolling around in there and checked the hubs and everything looks ok. I'm just thinking they knocked one of those push tabs loose and it's just the rear bumper buffeting when braking but am not sure.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Funnily enough I just started watching this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guUra-KozHo

No idea if it's any good or not, though.

Looks interesting I have that laser myself and been thinking in similar ways. Also looked at how to do it with string and thought about various DIY tools I could make using an aluminium extrusion with a screw to make a kind of gauge that measure the inside of the wheels. I just need a really huge micrometer :downs:

The service manual for my car details how to measure toe in, it uses a special tool (like what I thought of) and how to use chalk markings to measure on an uneven floor:

The manual has no procedure for the rear wheels, perhaps because it's a solid rear axle.

At any rate it's probably good enough to try and see what results one gets. I haven't had need to think of this right now because I've had issues with a stuck bleeder valve, that then broke off. Just got it fixed last night and something happened with the handbrake and it no longer engages. It might have broken.

e: sleep addled

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 23, 2024

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm looking in the parts catalogue for a 20 year old car and some parts are showing as "replaced by" other identical-looking parts with slightly different part numbers. This is for some seals and gaskets.

Since both are available and roughly the same price, is it usually best to go with the replacement version on the assumption that it has some sort of improvement, or the original version on the basis that the replacement might have cost cutting measures? Or are they probably just the same anyway?

I know you can't know specifically, but as a general sense.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's both, on various vehicles. Usually if the part has been superceded like that, after original stock of the old part is depleted, when you order the old part number you will receive the new part instead.

Unless this is a mid year split or early vs late production thing in which case you'll see things like "before 4/10/94” or "chassis serial number 983652 and up" or "with transmission case casting c153992" etc.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Alright, I’ll just pick the cheaper then, cheers.

Annoyingly it’s going to be much cheaper to ship the parts from the US to the UK for a vehicle which was exclusively manufactured in the UK.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A guy in our 86 club had this wrap, it was awesome. (he's since changed it to an MF Ghost wrap, with the same "sketch marks")

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 23, 2024

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

A guy in our 86 club had this wrap, it was awesome. (he's since changed it to an MF Ghost wrap, with the same "sketch marks")

oooooohhhh this one looks great I could definitely see myself going for this wrap but without the sketch marks, I especially like the window black trim line.

can you ask your friend where he got the files for this or which designer?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 23, 2024

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Al-Saqr posted:

oooooohhhh this one looks great I could definitely see myself going for this wrap but without the sketch marks, I especially like the window black trim line.

can you ask your friend where he got the files for this or which designer?

Check your dm's, I don't know if personal IG info is good to post in the main forums. Also looking at his most current car, it's possible that's not a wrap and is just paint. It was really well done though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

aight that 86 looks pretty fun, I have seen a poorly done bog standard one around my workplace when they were new, it was a bit weak looking.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

AFewBricksShy posted:

TIL at my age...paying extra to see stretch marks.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

"Sketch" ... because it's from an animated series

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:hmmno: Look at this dude who doesn’t know Initial D started as a manga.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Maybe I'm a purist or something but I think if you aren't drifting your car you shouldn't put that livery on it. Absolutely it's your car and you do what you want with it but if I saw that IRL I'd think the person was a poser. With actual AE86s I think it's like okay whatever you have that type of car so you can sorta get away with it - to put it on another car seems a bit sacrilegious to me.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Maybe I'm a purist or something but I think if you aren't drifting your car you shouldn't put that livery on it. Absolutely it's your car and you do what you want with it but if I saw that IRL I'd think the person was a poser. With actual AE86s I think it's like okay whatever you have that type of car so you can sorta get away with it - to put it on another car seems a bit sacrilegious to me.

Ok ill just be normal with the only car i have and can afford :smith:

maybe a nice sensible ocean blue color with the two tone black roof.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Screw that guy. Have fun with your car.

Adults who still use the word "poser" are in fact the real posers.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Krakkles posted:

:hmmyes:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Krakkles posted:

Yep. If someone is in a Toyota 86 which can easily be argued is the real poser, and gets all indignant about 'sacrilegious' welp, at least you are in a true Toyota.

Really though, absolutely nobody gives a poo poo, I promise you. If you have a smidge of confidence, at all, congrats you are the coolest person around. Nobody is drifting AE86s here in the USA, they are all $Texas and have transcended just enthusiast cars and have become status symbols not unlike Skyline GTRs or Hiluxes or Land Cruisers or Supras.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Yep. If someone is in a Toyota 86 which can easily be argued is the real poser, and gets all indignant about 'sacrilegious' welp, at least you are in a true Toyota.

:eyepop:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Haha that car rules! Thanks man i will make my car what im happy with it looking like! You only live once!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Toyota’s current special edition GR86 is painted like a Trueno. :ssh:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

2014 F150.
My key fob is no longer unlocking my driver door. I don't hear anything from the driver door when I press lock and unlock, passenger door is fine.
Same goes for the door lock button. The key itself will lock and unlock the door.

This tells me the actuator is probably either disconnected or bad.
Does anyone have any advice as to what to possibly check? The actuator looks to be about a $50 part and I found a youtube video on replacement, but if there's something easy to check first I'd rather do that.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

2014 F150.
My key fob is no longer unlocking my driver door. I don't hear anything from the driver door when I press lock and unlock, passenger door is fine.
Same goes for the door lock button. The key itself will lock and unlock the door.

Does anyone have any advice as to what to possibly check? The actuator looks to be about a $50 part and I found a youtube video on replacement, but if there's something easy to check first I'd rather do that.

Hi, former 2014 F150 owner here. I had this happen with one of my rear doors. The issue for me, which I gather is common, was the wiring between the door and the door frame. A bit of a pain, but I’d take off the boot and all the poo poo around the wires and have a look.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

AFewBricksShy posted:

2014 F150.

Does it lock but not unlock?

Its probably the actuator. Do you have a multimeter?
You can hook it up to the plug for the actuator and see if you get a bit of voltage when you hit the button, or key fob.
That should probably give you an answer as to if its the actuator or something down the line.

Even ford can't be dumb enough to use a separate fuse for just the driver side can they?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

My first thought on the above was "door jamb chaffing" and not the actuator.

There is so much weird poo poo automakers stuff through the door jamb. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised there isn't some oceanic internet link that doesn't run through one.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

wesleywillis posted:

Does it lock but not unlock?

Its probably the actuator. Do you have a multimeter?
You can hook it up to the plug for the actuator and see if you get a bit of voltage when you hit the button, or key fob.
That should probably give you an answer as to if its the actuator or something down the line.

Even ford can't be dumb enough to use a separate fuse for just the driver side can they?

Doesn't lock or unlock.

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
My rocker panels are starting to rust. They've got holes in them for the side skirt clips. Can I stop the rust by spraying fluid film up in there? I've heard you can pump used motor oil into rocker panels too but I don't have the equipment for that.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You’d have to cut the rust out to stop the rust. It’ll just rust under the fluid film

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
What I'm thinking is

1. Sand off most of the rust
2. Power wash out the inside of the rocker panel
3. Spray a bunch of rust reformer into and onto the panel, 360 degrees from each clip opening, hit the rust on the pinch weld too
4. Fill the hole with fiberglass and sand it
5. Paint if I feel like it, but it'll be mostly covered by the side skirts anyway
6. Fill the rocker panel up with fluid film or motor oil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'll say try raw linseed oil (not boiled). Film products won't work as mentioned. It won't hide the rust, but it'll slow the attack down as it's got good penetrating properties and will get down to bare metal despite rust on top. I spray that into cavities and just generally the whole underside of my cars every year.