Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Its good but I like the way they did climbing in dying light more. Shadows does the hold a to climb anywhere thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
i have a friend who i guess doesnt get out much because he asked me why there werent many zombie games

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

PantsBandit posted:

You guys are describing Shadow of Mordor you realize that right.

Anyways writing a game off because it's unoriginal is really dumb but I guess if people want to feel elitist about something that's fine. Just missing out on a really fun game.

Except for the fact that automatic parkour and automatic dancing fighting are two of the most awfully loving boring poo poo I ever seen in my life. Both mordor and dying light are way way less compelling than any of the 100 games on my backlog that I don't have time to play anyway (I'm currently playing the first darksiders).

I think, if I had more time to play games, maybe I would be done with my backlog and would be all apologetic about the poo poo the AAA industry crap out since I would have nothing new to play, but actually it's quite possible that I would just play some more hundreds of hours of monster hunter or X3 or dwarf fortress or any other, you know, good game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

program666 posted:

Except for the fact that automatic parkour and automatic dancing fighting are two of the most awfully loving boring poo poo I ever seen in my life. Both mordor and dying light are way way less compelling than any of the 100 games on my backlog that I don't have time to play anyway (I'm currently playing the first darksiders).

I think, if I had more time to play games, maybe I would be done with my backlog and would be all apologetic about the poo poo the AAA industry crap out since I would have nothing new to play, but actually it's quite possible that I would just play some more hundreds of hours of monster hunter or X3 or dwarf fortress or any other, you know, good game.

The parkour in DL is far from automatic. Unless you think Mirror's Edge is automatic (and are mentally retarded.) And what makes it compelling is a really smooth sense of movement, entertaining coop, hilarious zombie antics, etc. My point is that "AAA=bad" is stupid as hell. If you're not into a game or the features then whatever but the fact that it's not massively innovative doesn't mean it's bad.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Shadows is good because its basically orc trolling simulator 2014

If you're playing it just to kill dudes you're doing it wrong. You play it like Madworld. You butcher a few dudes in the most brutal way possible to horrify everyone else, until half the orcs in the zone are so mortified of you that they just break and run once they see your face.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

program666
Aug 22, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

The parkour in DL is far from automatic. Unless you think Mirror's Edge is automatic (and are mentally retarded.) And what makes it compelling is a really smooth sense of movement, entertaining coop, hilarious zombie antics, etc. My point is that "AAA=bad" is stupid as hell. If you're not into a game or the features then whatever but the fact that it's not massively innovative doesn't mean it's bad.

I express bad. That part was only about mordor, the game praised to high heavens as one of the best games last year. And about AAA=bad, I said I like monster hunter. Actually monster hunter is my favorite game ever.
Dying like seems ok, let's say, as ok as something like darksiders that I'm actually playing, I'm just not going to buy for now because seriously, why bother? There are so much more better games I never played.

Also yeah AAA is generally bad, and you're a bad person for giving them money.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Again the parkour in Shadows isnt the point, its loving with the orcs. The parkour is good just because it doesn't get in your way.

DL makes a point out of its parkour because it gives you interesting things to climb and puts some love into making those things come alive. The parkour is the point there to some extent.

In Shadows the parkour is to just not get in your way while you plot how to kill 10 dudes and send the other 30 screaming in terror

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Dying Light is like Dead Island, except good and fun to play.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Again the parkour in Shadows isnt the point, its loving with the orcs. The parkour is good just because it doesn't get in your way.

DL makes a point out of its parkour because it gives you interesting things to climb and puts some love into making those things come alive. The parkour is the point there to some extent.

In Shadows the parkour is to just not get in your way while you plot how to kill 10 dudes and send the other 30 screaming in terror

I read your other post, I just don't think the AI kind of responding appropriately to your existence sometimes is that big of a deal. Seems cool, though.

I'll play all of these OK-ish games someday eventually probably.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

One of the games I never played on my backlog is devil may cry 3 for example, that's why I don't care so much for new games.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
DMC3 was the last good Devil May Cry game. You should definitely play it.

4 was ok.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I liked 4 pretty good and we got Bayonetta after that so it's pretty much a wash in my book.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
4's combat felt too simple and the boss fights were pretty lame, but I did like the backtracking aspect once you get to play as Dante. Overall, not bad, but not very memorable. Never played Bayonetta, looked too "fanservicey" for my tastes. I'd probably appreciate it if I was 14.

Dying Light talk: Can someone who's actually beaten the story weigh in on how the post-game is? I'm on the mission "Extraction" now, and it's got all the hallmarks of being a final mission, but I don't want to be "done" with this game yet so I've been putting it off to do fetch quests instead. Any NG+ options?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bayonetta is strong and has a thick sexy rear end.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Frank Horrigan posted:

4's combat felt too simple and the boss fights were pretty lame, but I did like the backtracking aspect once you get to play as Dante. Overall, not bad, but not very memorable. Never played Bayonetta, looked too "fanservicey" for my tastes. I'd probably appreciate it if I was 14.

Dying Light talk: Can someone who's actually beaten the story weigh in on how the post-game is? I'm on the mission "Extraction" now, and it's got all the hallmarks of being a final mission, but I don't want to be "done" with this game yet so I've been putting it off to do fetch quests instead. Any NG+ options?

Yeah there's a NG+ I don't know the details though. Honestly I've been having fun just cleaning up side missions and screwing around. My buddy jumps on when he's online and we kick zombies back and forth.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Bayonetta is strong and has a thick sexy rear end.

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

PantsBandit posted:

Honestly I've been having fun just cleaning up side missions and screwing around.

Yeah, I'm just running out of those. I've almost maxed the three skill trees, so aside from collectibles I'm pretty sure I've just about finished this game. PC Gamer had an article about the DLC coming up, and it looks like nothing substantial so I think this is pretty much it as far as interesting content goes.

It's been a long time since I was bummed out over completing a game. :smith:

• Locked thread