Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Op went to a panel event at a uni and was accosted with literature also googling a thing gets results !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad I'm seeing all my patriotic american male heros being posted but I'm not sure what they have to do with the op.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6wxyPtSJ1M

also on a serious note can we keep gamergate bullshit in hellthread

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
What I want somebody, anybody to explain what purging identity politics looks like, and also why you people tolerate a guy who was "just asking questions" about age of consent laws in your thread.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
A handful of college students focus on fringe issues and alternative lifestyles that others herald as the end of civilized society and a detriment to the political left. This has only ever happened every generation for all of recorded human history.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

also on a serious note can we keep gamergate bullshit in hellthread
Stop trying to control my speech you cishet fascist.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

my first thought upon seeing the army tweet pic from the OP was that they were in fact using a racial slur for chinese people? :shrug: i'm not an autistic military nerd, i'm not familiar with army terminlogy, sorry

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Miltank posted:

DnD loves acting like this isn't a real problem for the left and I can't understand why.

because this is classic capital-R Reaction by the very definition, and the standard problem of conservatism and reactionary thought as acknowledged by figures from Martin Luther King Jr to William F. Buckley is in the end, conservatives are fighting a defensive battle and over enough time they will always lose. this is just the evolved manifestation of conservatism for secular manchildren. you can tell that their lines are constantly being pushed back because many of them, despite being moralizing middle-class white reactionaries who both enjoy punching down and scary articles about Those Crazies on Campus, and who happen to be allied with ultra-conservatives and internet fascists, consider themselves "moderate" or "liberal" because they support gay marriage and weed legalization and the basic premises of old-school feminism; positions unthinkable to their ideological forefathers. they are stupid and losing and tide themselves over with stalking insane people and otherkin on the internet, they are no issue

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
If only we shot all people under a certain age, we could implement full communism. This has a 50% chance of being what the OP believes.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tezzor posted:

a bunch of dumb gay girltalk
I agree.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Tezzor posted:

because this is classic capital-R Reaction by the very definition, and the standard problem of conservatism and reactionary thought as acknowledged by figures from Martin Luther King Jr to William F. Buckley is in the end, conservatives are fighting a defensive battle and over enough time they will always lose. this is just the evolved manifestation of conservatism for secular manchildren. you can tell that their lines are constantly being pushed back because many of them, despite being moralizing middle-class white reactionaries who both enjoy punching down and scary articles about Those Crazies on Campus, and who happen to be allied with ultra-conservatives and internet fascists, consider themselves "moderate" or "liberal" because they support gay marriage and weed legalization and the basic premises of old-school feminism; positions unthinkable to their ideological forefathers. they are stupid and losing and tide themselves over with stalking insane people and otherkin on the internet, they are no issue

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Concerned Citizen posted:

hey is this the D&D gamergate thread???

:ssh:

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Caros posted:

Its worth noting that the Newspaper's reasoning for firing the satire guy in your OP was as follows:

The vandalism was bullshit, but seems to me he got canned for being a conservative writer making fun of his socially liberal co-workers and fellow students, which, yeah... no poo poo.

Fair enough, but I'd say that the point that the article resulted in his apartment getting vandalized is cause for concern.

tumblr.txt posted:

You're a straight, white cismale, right? Part of your privilege is you get to be totally blind to all the advantages that go along with your position in life. You won the genetic lottery, and don't even realise it. People who grow up being the victims of racism every single day do take offense at terms like 'ch*nk' - it costs nothing to avoid it, so why not act to make the world a better place?

In all my letters, I try harder than anything else to make myself clear. I try to state things as simply and unambiguously as I can because I find that that's the best way to convince my readers that Shadoer suffers from a pathology of delusion. It is worth noting at the outset that my opinions are the obverse of Shadoer's. That concept can be extended, mutatis mutandis, to the way that he definitely wants me to burst into tears. If I did, I'm sure the chortles from Shadoer and his band would be rich and prolonged, especially given how Shadoer knows how to lie. It's too bad he doesn't yet understand the ramifications of lying.

To make a long story short, Shadoer's outbursts symbolize lawlessness, violence, and misguided rebellion—extreme liberty for a few, even if the rest of us lose more than a little freedom. Shadoer has made some imprecise statements and statements that ought to have had all sorts of qualifications and reservations attached to them. This brings us to the harsh reality that must be faced: If Shadoer would, just once, demonstrate real and genuine concern for others, he might begin to realize that he alleges that his generalizations are Holy Writ. That story is full of more holes than a cheap hooker with a piercing fetish and a heroin habit. One of the goals of nativism is to render meaningless the words “best” and “worst”. Shadoer admires that philosophy because, by annihilating human perceptions of quality, Shadoer's own mediocrity can flourish.

If I am correctly informed, the dynamics of the situation are such that you can decidedly assume serious trouble is brewing when patronizing renegades support those for whom hatred has become a way of life. In any case, malefic vandals are often found at his elbow. This suggests to me that he has had some success in playing on people's irrational fears. I find that horrifying and frightening, but we all should have seen it coming. We all knew that Shadoer apparently wants to use us to fulfill his nerdy mission. As long as I live, I will be shouting this truth from rooftops and doing everything I can to stop the Huns at the gate. To close, let me accentuate that if we speak out against chthonic, clumsy fence-sitters we shall not only survive Shadoer's attacks; we shall prevail.

First of all, it doesn't matter if I'm a cis-white male, black, or a martian. Idea's and arguments should be judged on their own merits, not based on how much privilege they have or not.

Second of all, the words in English can have several meanings and the use and meanings of those words change over time. To condemn a word for all time because at one point it was used as a racial slur is frankly immature. If we are going to relegate ourselves from using the word "chink" in the completely innocuous usage of "chink in armor", does that mean we are going to eliminate the word "Banana" because it's a derogatory term to describe asians as "white on the inside" as well?

Now I believe people should be treated equally and I'd be a fool to say society isn't in some way racist and sexist. However, shutting down discourse because something was said in the wrong way, ignoring context, and shaming people because they may be a "cis white male" is immature and reckless.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I think the fact that this thread devolved into posting pictures a whitty one liners shows that people don't really have coherent arguments about this kind of thing and social justice whatever tends to just be a way of slinging mud at whomever.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
a "group of feminist academics" in Great Britain declared holding a door open for women to be offensive and sexist, therefore this is bad for the American democratic party. the relevance of this group in either country or what the polling indicates on this issue or whether or not anybody should or would give a gently caress outside of scare articles designed to outrage dunning-kruger apes is left unsaid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

• Locked thread