Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Welp, sorry for another long dump, but here goes.
Never apologise. This stuff is fantastic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

ExecuDork posted:

Never apologise. This stuff is fantastic!

Thank ya...I'll try and keep the dumps more reasonable in length in the future though

I remember on this day, when he came home he mentioned that he had been too busy running hither and yon that he barely saw any of it. Our local government people and grounded plane passengers gravely looking on were the order of the day.

Noted pieces of poo poo Dick Armey and Karl Rove tragically survived their flight in the late 90s

Good Boy Tax:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

that's some chris maggio poo poo

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

A few I missed from yesterday:

a 1999 self-portrait taken inside the MetLife blimp that I really dig for some reason

Remember how in the 70s, 80s, and very early 90s I mentioned he could get all up in a crime scene for photos? That changed by 1998

Not really sure what the context is here.

In addition to getting the 1981est photo ever taken, he somehow also came within a whisker of getting the most 1998 photo ever.

EDIT: two and a half hours later, while sorting TIF files pulled from the discs, I accidentally dragged a photo of JFK that was on there for some reason into the 'Headshots' folder. gently caress it, I'm leaving it there.

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 23, 2018

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Thank ya...I'll try and keep the dumps more reasonable in length in the future though

I remember on this day, when he came home he mentioned that he had been too busy running hither and yon that he barely saw any of it. Our local government people and grounded plane passengers gravely looking on were the order of the day.

I've posted my father earlier in this thread, at the time he was flying planes very similar to the ones that hit the towers.

One of his pilot mates had called him at 3 in the morning local time and was like
"Mate, turn on your TV"
"What the gently caress it's 3am"
"{Name} turn on your TV"
"What channel?"
"Doesn't matter"

I woke up to him glued to the tv for the whole day

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Jestery posted:

I've posted my father earlier in this thread, at the time he was flying planes very similar to the ones that hit the towers.

One of his pilot mates had called him at 3 in the morning local time and was like
"Mate, turn on your TV"
"What the gently caress it's 3am"
"{Name} turn on your TV"
"What channel?"
"Doesn't matter"

I woke up to him glued to the tv for the whole day

Yeah, he called me three times from his cell before I woke up and said "why are you waking me up". I've rarely gone from dead sleep to alert so quickly.

Looking at the videotape I was rolling that day, I was pretty clearly weirded out/fascinated by the fact that VH1 and MTV and everything else was straight out news until at least that evening; except for a weird local religous station that was broadcasting apocalyptic bible readings and sermons over stock footage of slowly waving American flags.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For me it was my first full day at a new job, figured I'd picked a cool place to be if everyone stood around all morning watching tv. Don't remember how long after that I stayed ignorant, but I know I watched none of it live.

Crazy there was a world where we didn't all have the internet in our pocket 24/7.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I was staying at my sister's place in Toronto. I had appointments to visit professors at several universities in the area to discuss M.Sc. possibilities. My first one on that Tuesday was mid-afternoon so I slept in. She worked for a TV network at the time, and phoned me at her apartment and just told me to turn on the TV once I woke up and picked up. I asked her that same question: "What channel?" and she said "Doesn't matter".

It didn't actually cancel any my meetings that week, and by the time I flew home a week later they'd opened the skies and cleared most of the backlog. I was interviewed in line at check-in by a CBC reporter (Adrienne Arsenault if you know who that is), she was going through the crowd with a cameraman asking people if they worried about flying. I said no, because security was very visible and very everywhere and very active, and it's not like airline security was suddenly invented on September 12, 2001 - I'd been going through metal detectors and saying "yes I packed my own bag" ever since I was old enough to talk so to me, it wasn't a big deal.

Sorry for being a heartless northern foreigner, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I've posted here about my pilot dad a bit and as a bit of a suprise I got myself a VR head set and put him in a flight Sim in his favourite aircraft to fly. He hasn't flown a plane in nearly a decade but was able to run a circuit round our local airport no issues once he acclimated to VR. He was talking me through airspeeds and trimming and climb rates etc. Was really cool

Here he is having the time of his VR life

• Locked thread