Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrodes
Oct 18, 2003

LOL RACISM!
If you can call it a garage. I'm not even sure how I feel about this - other than they're all retarded.

His Kia has been fixed, but who'll pay the bill?

Mark Berryman's 2014 Kia Soul has a new engine.

But the east Hamilton resident must pay Leggat Kia $8,191.11.

As we reported on Tuesday, Berryman had been taking his car to Jiffy Lube's Hamilton franchise for regular servicing. He had his oil and filter changed in mid-December and his engine seized on his way home from Toronto on Jan. 27.

Kia Canada performed a "teardown" of his old engine and says there was no sign of any pre-existing engine damage. A Kia Canada spokesperson says the filter installed by Jiffy Lube is not the one recommended by his filter manufacturer, Mann + Hummel Purolator.

"The Purolator website states the recommended oil filter is part L14459," Kia national corporate communications manager Jack Sulymka told Action Line. "The installed filter was the Tec Select filter T4612, which equates to the Purolator L14612."

Kia paid for the engine teardown and is paying Berryman's bill for a rental car.

Jiffy Lube sent the damaged filter to the Purolator lab in Fayetteville, N.C., to be tested.

Marketing manager Dianne Hinds of QLO Management Inc. insists her franchise installed the correct filter and "overpressurization" caused by a faulty engine valve seized Berryman's engine.

"The filter is the correct oil filter for your vehicle. It met all the specifications and was not found to be defective," Hinds wrote in a Feb. 10 email to Berryman. "We have serviced this vehicle five times. We have installed the same T4612 oil filter on each service visit."

She noted that Berryman had driven approximately 7,000 kilometres since his last oil change.

Berryman is nonplussed.

"Both sides maintain that I have done nothing wrong, but both sides maintain that they have done nothing wrong. Where does that leave me?" Berryman wrote us in a Feb. 11 email. "Apparently out $8,191.11.

"If nobody can agree on fault or blame, why don't we all share the blame on this and split the costs three ways?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread