Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

minato posted:

It's not a bad documentary, but it could have been so much better. I'd have preferred it if it had been a jumping off point to talk about conspiracy theorists in general. They only offer a smattering of explanation as to why these people fall down these rabbit holes, and barely touch on how conspiracy theorists destroy their own lives and descend into their own bubble because they reject (or are rejected by) those who disagree with them.

But at least they get a few solid self-owns in there. Like the "engineer" who spent $20,000 on a gyroscope to prove the earth wasn't rotating, got the exact opposite of the results he wanted, so has reduced himself to retrying the experiment by encasing the gyroscope in a bismuth container (?!?).

They touch on some aspects, or rather their interviews do, especially Patricia when she has a very self reflective moment about the nature of paranoia. The dude who has a brain coach who got him into flat earth though, gently caress me, he's got brain rot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone watching Dangerous World of Comedy with Larry Charles?

I kind of wish I could go back to not knowing who General Butt Naked was :stare: or do I? I don't know.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone watching Dangerous World of Comedy with Larry Charles?

I kind of wish I could go back to not knowing who General Butt Naked was :stare: or do I? I don't know.

I thought it was a really interesting series (those two U.S. 'trolls' in ep 3 aside), but yeah, that interview was really tense, and I said after first watching it his mention of the 'humorous' things they did in the war was :yikes:

If you want to read more about General Butt Naked, this is a pretty interesting article from a couple years ago:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/03/14/general-butt-naked-the-repentant-warlord/amp

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

A.B.C. Murders was a disappointment, Malkovich and the prime suspect were both really good in it but it was a rather boring mystery and it was 3 hours long when it should have been 2

also they retconned in an alternate universe backstory for Poirot and it adds nothing to the story

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LadyPictureShow posted:

his mention of the 'humorous' things they did in the war was :yikes:

There are a lot of things he said that were sort of hilarious in the darkest, most hosed up possible way. Like, he felt bad and turned to jesus because he didn't want to kill the last toddler he murdered, but only because the kid was cute and clean so he wanted to find a less desirable kid to hack open with an axe and eat alive (he didn't mention how they did it, but I read up on him a bit last night). Of course when he couldn't find one he still killed Then he goes on to talk about how he likes to watch Kids Say the Darndest things. or the part where he goes up to the guy who's legs he cut off and is aggressively and antagonistically is like "hey! Brother forgive me. You have to forgive me!"

I literally cannot believe that guy is just walking around like its nothing after committing some of the worst atrocities I've ever heard of. because he "found Jesus. How the gently caress he is not dead or rotting in jail somewhere is beyond me. But I guess that kind of stuff isn't that uncommon. Remind me of the guys from "The Act of Killing" a lot.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 1, 2019

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

veni veni veni posted:

There are a lot of things he said that were sort of hilarious in the darkest, most hosed up possible way. Like, he felt bad and turned to jesus because he didn't want to kill the last toddler he murdered, but only because the kid was cute and clean so he wanted to find a less desirable kid to hack open with an axe and eat alive (he didn't mention how they did it, but I read up on him a bit last night). Of course when he couldn't find one he still killed Then he goes on to talk about how he likes to watch Kids Say the Darndest things. or the part where he goes up to the guy who's legs he cut off and is aggressively and antagonistically is like "hey! Brother forgive me. You have to forgive me!"

I literally cannot believe that guy is just walking around like its nothing after committing some of the worst atrocities I've ever heard of. because he "found Jesus. How the gently caress he is not dead or rotting in jail somewhere is beyond me. But I guess that kind of stuff isn't that uncommon. Remind me of the guys from "The Act of Killing" a lot.

Honestly? The International Criminal Court wasn't founded until 2002, so it doesn't hold retroactive jurisdiction on his atrocities; and he went before Liberia's Truth and Reconciliation Commission and basically said, 'Yeah I did it, I repented and turned to the Lord' and the TRC just basically shrugged it off and said 'okey-dokie'.

If you're interested in learning more about what went down in the Liberian Civil War, I can name a few documentaries about, it most of which you can find on YouTube.

The interviews with the former child soldiers, the 'clowns' and 'Special Forces' just broke my loving heart.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wow, you guys really weren't kidding about how enragingly stupid the parents in Abducted in Plain Sight are.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Filthy Hans posted:

A.B.C. Murders was a disappointment, Malkovich and the prime suspect were both really good in it but it was a rather boring mystery and it was 3 hours long when it should have been 2

also they retconned in an alternate universe backstory for Poirot and it adds nothing to the story

Yeah, I wouldn't say it's great but I've wasted three hours on much more trash. My main problem was After the 2 or 3rd murder you realize he isn't the killer because they never show him doing the deed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Under the Shadow is fantastic, I can't believe I slept on this

or how the movie managed to make a piece of cloth fluttering in the wind loving terrifying

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
2 episodes into Russian Doll, it seems kinda pedestrian. Does it get better?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Steve Yun posted:

I mean, the show is utterly fantastic, and takes you on a number of emotional and existential twists. It's not just a Groundhog Day retread.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Those kind of questions kind of confuse me. You know some people like it, so I don't know what else you'd be looking for. If you're not diggin' something, then it's not for you.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't say it's great but I've wasted three hours on much more trash. My main problem was After the 2 or 3rd murder you realize he isn't the killer because they never show him doing the deed.

yeah, for me it was that the show spent a ton of time at the mansion and the killer they cast has been in practically every british mystery show I've seen in the last few years

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Steve Yun posted:

Halfway through episode 4 Netflix slips something into your drink when you aren't looking, and you end up seeing the face of God. It's pretty amazing, but make sure you watch all the way through the episode without stopping. A friend of mine paused it, and then ended up simply witnessing an ant contemplate what it means to be a human.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ok thanks that’s all I need

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I actually stopped watching Russian Doll around ep 4 because I hated the characters, but I ended up finishing and I’m glad I did, because I loved the ending. It didn’t “click” for me until episode 6. Honestly it’s more of a long movie than a show because it’s 4 hours total, so you might as well power through.

I just watched the Dangerous Comedy series and it was great, though I expected it to be terrible. It’s a very Netflix concept - I can see some content exec going “viewers that watch standup also watch travel shows!” - but it was a lot less insufferable than most similar travel shows where they go to “dangerous” countries. I appreciated the focus on interviews and giving the comedians so much time to explain their own perspective, rather than the “look at these crazy foreigners!” thing you usually see. Dark Tourist or whatever it was called was insanely poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it feels like a mixed bag. Some of it is really good, but sometimes it just totally loses focus, and I could really do without the constant old TV shows edited in, which makes it feel like a youtube video sometimes.

Also Baked Alaska is seriously the dumbest person on earth. I'm glad he was included though lol. I like laughing at him.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

it feels like a mixed bag. Some of it is really good, but sometimes it just totally loses focus, and I could really do without the constant old TV shows edited in, which makes it feel like a youtube video sometimes.

Also Baked Alaska is seriously the dumbest person on earth. I'm glad he was included though lol. I like laughing at him.

Yeah my initial reaction at seeing the two “alt right” guys would be included (from the episode description) was “great, another platform for nazis” but it actually did a good job of making them look like the deranged unfunny psychopaths they are.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm looking for a horror movie on netflix
- with a supernatural monster
- that isn't a zombie or a ghost or some other bullshit that could be accomplished by putting an extra in make-up
- recent-ish
- not complete trash
- leaning more towards serious than horror-comedy

Something like The Ritual, Borderlands / Final Prayer, Spring, or even the rubber-suit antics of something like The Monster would qualify, but I've seen all of those.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a monster in Apostle? I think that one fits all your criteria.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Starks posted:

I actually stopped watching Russian Doll around ep 4 because I hated the characters, but I ended up finishing and I’m glad I did, because I loved the ending. It didn’t “click” for me until episode 6. Honestly it’s more of a long movie than a show because it’s 4 hours total, so you might as well power through.

I just watched the Dangerous Comedy series and it was great, though I expected it to be terrible. It’s a very Netflix concept - I can see some content exec going “viewers that watch standup also watch travel shows!” - but it was a lot less insufferable than most similar travel shows where they go to “dangerous” countries. I appreciated the focus on interviews and giving the comedians so much time to explain their own perspective, rather than the “look at these crazy foreigners!” thing you usually see. Dark Tourist or whatever it was called was insanely poo poo.

I don't think you're supposed to like the characters in Russian Doll, at least at first. And I'm pretty sure they did that on purpose.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Human Tornada posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a monster in Apostle? I think that one fits all your criteria.

Seen it. :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you missed Three Identical Strangers it's on Hulu now

Edit: though be warned it's one of those Hulu things that has truly awful sound mixing, the music is insanely high to the point you sometimes can't hear the dialogue over

precision fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 3, 2019

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm looking for a horror movie on netflix
- with a supernatural monster
- that isn't a zombie or a ghost or some other bullshit that could be accomplished by putting an extra in make-up
- recent-ish
- not complete trash
- leaning more towards serious than horror-comedy

Something like The Ritual, Borderlands / Final Prayer, Spring, or even the rubber-suit antics of something like The Monster would qualify, but I've seen all of those.

I imagine you've seen it, but how about Annihilation? Not a perfect match but I think it would be up your alley

Edit: whoops, turns out it's on prime, not Netflix like thought

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Haha wow Treehouse on Hulu is like the worst "horror" movie I have ever seen.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

veni veni veni posted:

Haha wow Treehouse on Hulu is like the worst "horror" movie I have ever seen.

The Into the Dark series is really a mixed bag of quality. I liked the one about the hitman on Halloween, and the one about the agoraphobic girl but the others have been mehhh

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Man, gently caress every single flat earther in this documentary. The scene where Patricia and Mark are running around Space Center Houston pointing out 'damaged' displays and empty rooms as proof that their side is 'winning' was absolutely infuriating. I know the end of the doc focuses on reaching out to these idiots to help them instead of just laughing at them, but why even bother? They're just going to continue inventing excuses to believe in this poo poo.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I want to watch the flat earth doc but that whole scene absolutely tilts me off the loving ROUND planet. The arguments are just...ugh.

Am I gonna have a hard time getting through it?

E: I mean I want to understand them better but for fucks sake

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
The part that really pissed me off was when they keep doing actual good scientific testing that proves them wrong and they ignore it basically blaming the test and coming up with new ways of tweaking it to get the result they want. Just absolutely horrible scientific method.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After having climate change come up at dinner with my parents last night, I think I'm gonna have to put that flat earth doc on hold. It's gonna be too frustrating to watch lol. When people want to believe something really stupid, no amount of proof will ever sway them. It's just a religious belief at that point.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Spettacolo is a documentary from 2017 about a small villa in Tuscany that has produced a play every summer for the past 50 years, and now struggles to keep its tradition afloat. It's streaming on Prime and is rather good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rad Valtar posted:

The part that really pissed me off was when they keep doing actual good scientific testing that proves them wrong and they ignore it basically blaming the test and coming up with new ways of tweaking it to get the result they want. Just absolutely horrible scientific method.

Yeah it was great lmao