Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
For a long time, I've had a fascination with the world's most isolated locations. Sometimes they are isolated because of extreme climate, sometimes because of distance from larger places, and sometimes they are "isolated" in the sense of being geopolitically out of the world system.

I haven't got to visit many of these places (at least not internationally: I've been to some pretty isolated places in the US!), but I love reading about them and looking at pictures. I would be interested if anyone here has been to a part of the world that is very hard to get to.

And just to kick things off, here is a picture of Longyearben, the largest city in the Norwegian islands of Spitsbergen. The city has a population of a little over 2000 people, and lies at 78 degrees north, making it (by most definitions) the world's most northernmost civilian settlement:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012
Devil Island in Antarctica is one I've actually been to, about 15 years ago:

As I remember you really couldn't see an end to the penguin colony in either direction. The smell was also pretty powerful, and I was surprised by how dirty they were.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

That pink mud is penguin poo poo huh?

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012

TheDon01 posted:

That pink mud is penguin poo poo huh?

Apparently it's even visible from space:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/jun/02/wildlife-poles

• Locked thread