Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
Problem description: The issue is that Chrome won't open, at least for a good 30+ minutes. Internet Explorer seems to open fine.

Attempted fixes: I tried to create a shortcut for chrome to my desktop, but I either messed up or this doesn't fix the issue. Tried turning off the firewall on McAfee but had no luck.

Recent changes: This is a brand new laptop and the issue has always occurred.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1

System specs: Lenovo U430 Touch - 59436098, i5 processor, 8GB Ram, etc.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, I've read that creating a shortcut can fix this issue, but didn't have any luck with that. I have also read that McAfee can cause this issue, but am not sure how to fix that. I've tried turning off the firewall on McAfee and then starting Chrome but that doesn't work. And as you can imagine, there's about a million threads with a million different solutions.

Also I searched the forums for this issue and didn't find anything, so if there's already something out there I apologize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sai_2000
Feb 17, 2015
Have you tried Uninstalling/Installing latest version chrome?

If this fails, you can try enabling the debug log by modifying the target field in the shortcut and adding at the end: " --enable-logging --v=1 ". The log should be a file named chrome_debug.log in "C:\Users\YOURUSERID\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data" folder. That might give you a hint to what is chrome trying to do and what is broken.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

I tied uninstalling and reinstalling, no luck, same issue. I'm not too adept with the shortcut stuff, do you really think that's necessary? I've never had to do that in the past on different computers...

Do you think mcafee could be the issue?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I'd definitely try uninstalling it to see if that helps, third-party antivirus programs commonly cause system problems and merely disabling them wouldn't help.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Alereon posted:

I'd definitely try uninstalling it to see if that helps, third-party antivirus programs commonly cause system problems and merely disabling them wouldn't help.

Would that leave me vulnerable if I did that? I'm not opposed to it, just want to be sure I don't cause further problems by doing that.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixR4kids posted:

Would that leave me vulnerable if I did that? I'm not opposed to it, just want to be sure I don't cause further problems by doing that.

Not to a great extent. Software firewalls/antivirus aren't as important as they once were.

Sai_2000
Feb 17, 2015

TrixR4kids posted:

Windows 8.1 includes Windows Defender which is an antivirus and it also has Windows Firewall. So, you should be covered on that front.

Give uninstalling McAfee a try. If that doesn't work, then I can walk you through setting up that shortcut to get the debug log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Thanks to everyone who helped. It's fixed now and I think getting rid of McAfee and restarting is what did the trick.

• Locked thread