Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luck Dragon
Aug 22, 2011
My dog is 8 years old, he is a Collie/German Shepherd/ Beagle mix. He does not bark and he is usually a very quiet and easy going dog. However we are noticing that in the last 2 weeks he has become clingy and he whines for no apparent reason. The boyfriend consistently works nights, and I was working on nights for 2 weeks until this past Monday. Normally if we are in the living room, he will sit in his chair and nap, or if we are in the office, he will lay on his pillow so he is close to us. He gets regular walks and aside from my working nights for the 2 weeks, nothing else has really changed.

He is a healthy weight and I have not noticed any changes aside from this behaviour, so I am not concerned about his health just yet. Since we were both on a night schedule, we both slept during the day and I was on straight nights for about 4 months last year so this is not something that is new for him.

He will now whine when we are trying to sleep and I have tried to correct this by getting him to sit on his chair in the living room, when we get up, he is typically asleep in the office which is right beside our bedroom. Or he will be right outside our door, but is quiet. Twice now when I am in the living room and he is on his chair, he will start to whine and try and get really close to me and he does this weird thing as he is breathing, it is similar to when hes get a whiff of something strong and he breathes quicker, im assuming to get more of the scent but we were at home alone and there was nothing going on.

We live in an apartment building and are right beside the stairwell so we hear noises all day/night long and he doesn't usually react to them. I am wondering if this could just be anxiety although I am not certain what would have caused this. I am off for a week and will be back on a day schedule, but if this continues to get worse, I do plan on taking him in to get him checked out. I would appreciate it if there is anyone who has gone through something similar or could shed some light on these sudden changes. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
This might be the dumbest thing I've ever posted here (and you don't have PMs so I can't even hide my shame): Are you pregnant? My dog did the exact same thing to my wife and it annoyed me to no end until we found out and I connected the dots.

It was only her trying to get close to my wife and 'whuffing' with fast breaths and blowing her lips out. She didn't change with me at all, just when my wife was around.

Luck Dragon
Aug 22, 2011
Interesting thought, but I am not pregnant - yet. The boyfriend says he does it to him when I am not around. Thanks though :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Maybe your boyfriend is pregnant?

E: Is it possible you're both pregnant?

E2: Is it possible that your house is pregnant with mice?

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

That sounds like the way my dog behaves when she gets her pain meds late. He's 8, so arthritis is a possibility. If it's been a while since he's been to the vet (especially if the last time was before the weather got cold), I'd take him in to rule that out before settling on anxiety.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

stop putting your dick in him for a few days and see if that helps OP

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

stop putting your dick in him for a few days and see if that helps OP

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Wheats posted:

That sounds like the way my dog behaves when she gets her pain meds late. He's 8, so arthritis is a possibility. If it's been a while since he's been to the vet (especially if the last time was before the weather got cold), I'd take him in to rule that out before settling on anxiety.

Same here, my dog gets a monthly steroid injection for his arthritis and I can always tell when he's due for his next shot by his behavior. He's not usually a snuggly dog but when he's in pain he's on my lap or as close to it as he can get.

Does he whine usually when he needs to go out? When my dog was first diagnosed with arthritis I'd taken him to the vet because he'd had trouble pooping and we figured out that it hurt to squat to poop so he would hold it for as long as possible then make himself constipated. He could be uncomfortable because he has to pee or poop but doesn't want to because it hurts.

• Locked thread