Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so why do people like those inuits and other almost exclusively carnivore cultures dont get scurvy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

so why do people like those inuits and other almost exclusively carnivore cultures dont get scurvy

because you get enough vitamin C from fresh meat and fish to prevent scurvy.

supposedly the inuit found the survivors of the franklin expedition and tried to teach them to eat raw seal meat to survive, and were chased away for being filthy savages. the first expedition to actually go up and successfully search for evidence of what happened to the franklin expedition was led by an american army lieutenant who had the brilliant idea of actually having his men eat the native diet and lo and behold, they travelled for two years not dying of scurvy.

shadok fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 21, 2015

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

shadok posted:

american army lieutenant who had the brilliant idea of actually having his men eat the native diet and lo and behold, they travelled for two years not dying of scurvy.

i love it when people defy my expectations of an era

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mister Macys posted:

Hey idiot, communal farming will fail due to the simple fact that people aren't robots and won't eat the same poo poo day in, day out, for the rest of their lives.

they will if what they're presented with is a vegan microwave burrito containing fully 1/3 of a day's nutrition!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
:eyepop:

that must be some burrito

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mister Macys posted:

:eyepop:

that must be some burrito

you might call it a

dilburrito

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

im honestly surprised by a lack of Soylent in dilbert's proposal.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Tokamak posted:

im honestly surprised by a lack of Soylent in dilbert's proposal.

remember the dilburrito was supposed to be Soylent

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
SCOTT ADAMS: I failed at many things.I tried to make computer games.I wrote a few but it turns out I'm not a very good programmer.I tried to create a food company that had a nutritious vitamin-filled burrito.

GREENE: That's the Dil Burrito?

ADAMS: The Dil Burrito.Yes.

GREENE: The Dil Burrito.

ADAMS: Yeah.Unfortunately, made people very gassy.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
in scott adams' diltopia city, all residences will be connected to the internet via ISDN connections!

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
dilburrito, the only burrito with an entire dildo inside every one

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

these arguments are always fun for like 8 minutes and then you start to piece together in your mind the enormity of the body of ignorance that allows an adult human being to make it not only to, but well past, the age of majority with opinions like these without having a mind shattering mental breakdown

agreed libertarians are absolutely fascinating in short doses

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

eschaton posted:

remember the dilburrito was supposed to be Soylent

no i didnt remember the dilburrito, consider me informed.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
didn't scott adams rant about how the dilburrito failed because some shadowy group paid people to sabotage them

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

the shadowy group known as "established food and beverage products that people actually enjoy buying"

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
“If you’ve ever taken advice from a cartoonist, there’s a good chance it did not turn out well. For starters, it’s hard to know when a cartoonist is being serious and when he or she is constructing an elaborate practical joke. I’ve crafted pranks that spanned years, sometimes when no one was in on the joke but me. Some of those pranks are still percolating.”

I was the victim of one of those pranks. And until reading this introduction, I did not know it. Here is what happened.

When I launched IT-Harvest, my industry analyst firm, I had a brilliant idea for making my website “sticky”: publish a security themed cartoon every day. Adams had blogged frequently about helping beginner cartoonists launch their career so I sent him an email.
I have to paraphrase these emails since I lost several years’ worth of email records, thanks to Yahoo.

To: scott

Hi Scott: I am launching a new website and I wondered if you could point me in the direction of a cartoonist who would like to create a daily security themed cartoon? I could work out a payment scheme whereby he/she got a penny per page view.

I was quite amazed when the great man himself responded to my email, although disappointed by his reaction to my idea:

To: richard@it-harvest.com

Richard: This is a horrible idea. It will never work. No cartoonist who is any good will ever work on these terms.

-Scott

Talk about balloon deflating. Oh well on to other things.

But then a week later, on a Friday, I got the following email from Scott Adams.

Richard: I have been thinking about your proposal. I have become very bored with Dilbert and have been looking for something new. I will write your security cartoon.

-Scott

Wow! Pop the Champaign corks. This is HUGE! I am embarrassed to admit that I was truly excited. Not since the first time I got an email from a friendly business person in Nigeria has my head spun with the possibilities. I immediately shared the good news with my wife and kids. I forwarded the email to my brother who used to be a cartoonist. I started making bigger plans for the web site.

After a weekend of cooling off I responded to Scott, accepting his offer and asking what the next steps should be. His response:

Richard: This is a scam, my email was hacked.

-Scott

I was shaken with disappointment. I was also impressed with the cleverness of hackers that target Scott Adams. Wow, they read and responded to his emails. That is pretty funny, even if I was the victim of the joke.

I never published this story, even though the fact that Scott Adams’ email was hacked was news worthy. Until reading his admission that he has practical jokes that have been “percolating for years.” This was one of them! I was still falling for it eight years later because I took him at his word.

That is how I was duped by Dilbert.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

good story thank you

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Oh what a card, that Scott Adams!

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
no thats scott orson

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

poty posted:

no thats scott orson

nice

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
started black mirror

:stare:

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Jonny 290 posted:

also it's me, i'm the router company that gleefully ships everybody the same router and then when they need a new one, oops, they're in super high demand, they're now $799 instead of $49

no routers can be shipped because scott adams banned the postal service from the city

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
if i didnt know just how odious a man scott adams is i would find his pie-in-the-sky libertarianism absolutely adorable

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

As a Millennial I posted:

in Scott Adams' utopia, you will walk downhill both to and from work. this will save millions

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Hey, here are some chargers for Scott Adams' libertopia

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Doc Block posted:

Hey, here are some chargers for Scott Adams' libertopia

lol is that real

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

WHOIS john galt, indeed

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

lol is that real

IDK, probably. Somebody posted it on Twitter, if memory serves. Had it saved on my phone because LOL

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

A Pinball Wizard posted:

“If you’ve ever taken advice from a cartoonist, there’s a good chance it did not turn out well. For starters, it’s hard to know when a cartoonist is being serious and when he or she is constructing an elaborate practical joke. I’ve crafted pranks that spanned years, sometimes when no one was in on the joke but me. Some of those pranks are still percolating.”

I was the victim of one of those pranks. And until reading this introduction, I did not know it. Here is what happened.

When I launched IT-Harvest, my industry analyst firm, I had a brilliant idea for making my website “sticky”: publish a security themed cartoon every day. Adams had blogged frequently about helping beginner cartoonists launch their career so I sent him an email.
I have to paraphrase these emails since I lost several years’ worth of email records, thanks to Yahoo.

To: scott

Hi Scott: I am launching a new website and I wondered if you could point me in the direction of a cartoonist who would like to create a daily security themed cartoon? I could work out a payment scheme whereby he/she got a penny per page view.

I was quite amazed when the great man himself responded to my email, although disappointed by his reaction to my idea:

Richard: This is a horrible idea. It will never work. No cartoonist who is any good will ever work on these terms.

-Scott

Talk about balloon deflating. Oh well on to other things.

But then a week later, on a Friday, I got the following email from Scott Adams.

Richard: I have been thinking about your proposal. I have become very bored with Dilbert and have been looking for something new. I will write your security cartoon.

-Scott

Wow! Pop the Champaign corks. This is HUGE! I am embarrassed to admit that I was truly excited. Not since the first time I got an email from a friendly business person in Nigeria has my head spun with the possibilities. I immediately shared the good news with my wife and kids. I forwarded the email to my brother who used to be a cartoonist. I started making bigger plans for the web site.

After a weekend of cooling off I responded to Scott, accepting his offer and asking what the next steps should be. His response:

Richard: This is a scam, my email was hacked.

-Scott

I was shaken with disappointment. I was also impressed with the cleverness of hackers that target Scott Adams. Wow, they read and responded to his emails. That is pretty funny, even if I was the victim of the joke.

I never published this story, even though the fact that Scott Adams’ email was hacked was news worthy. Until reading his admission that he has practical jokes that have been “percolating for years.” This was one of them! I was still falling for it eight years later because I took him at his word.

That is how I was duped by Dilbert.

:troll:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

WHOIS john galt, indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

As a Millennial I posted:

in Scott Adams' utopia, you will walk downhill both to and from work. this will save millions

• Locked thread