Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Like, they are the same thing to me cause I don't read them, but from things I have overheard people like to make a distinction. Is one more sophisticated than the other, or is it just an imaginary distinction goobers make up to make themselves feel better and superior, like the movie/film thing. If they are different what is the comic book crowd like vs the graphic novel crowed? Also, does manga count as well cause it seems to me just another picture book but written in moonspeak?

Thanks, friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
iirc theyre all called "funnies" op

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

iirc theyre all called "funnies" op

Those are the short ones in the newspaper, like Mark Trail and Family Circus. I'm talking about the ones that are several pages long

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Those are the short ones in the newspaper, like Mark Trail and Family Circus. I'm talking about the ones that are several pages long

extended funnies

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Hi OP, thanks for coming to us with your question. The difference is that comic books are allowed to portray farts

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Surely that can't be the only difference

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

You're right, just a little BSS humour. The other difference is that comic books are allowed to portray nutshots with funny onomatopoeia

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Comic Books are comics in book form, while Graphic Novels are graphics in novel form

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I don't know the difference either. I only read illustrated literature. Hope that helps!

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

sporklift posted:

I don't know the difference either. I only read illustrated literature. Hope that helps!

I typically shorten it to illiterature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!
Graphic novels are complete works, with a beginning, a middle and an end: like Watchmen, the Dark Knight Returns, Stuck Rubber Baby, Maus, et al.

Comic books like Detective Comics, The Uncanny X-men, the Flash, etc. are periodicals. They are published indefinitely with no actual ending pre-conceived.

• Locked thread