Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irishjoo
Jul 20, 2004

Step 1-Curl and Drag
Step 2-Attempt to Shoot
Step 3-Get Soft Penalty
Step 4-Score just enough to make people forget about Steps 1-3
encrypted partition of Toshiba usb 3 drive “gone” : Somehow when I was using my Toshiba Transmemory USB drive the encryption program disappeared and there seems to be no way to get it back thus all those files are lost. Of course, the files are what I need. The non-encrypted files are there and a-ok.

Attempted fixes: tried getting a new version of the encryption program from the Toshiba site and getting it to install on the usb. Tried the drive on other computers with other windows versions. Looked for hidden files – the whole partitioned area does not show up – it is a 16 G USB but when properties are asked only shows 6G. It is likely that the other 10G is what I had partitioned as the secure memory allocation.

Recent changes: have installed Norton Security – but not right before the problem happened. I think that Norton quarantined the program and then “disappeared” it. Nowhere to be found on the USB.

Operating system: happened on a windows 7 computer -

System specs: Machine manufacturer/model number. Original computer was a Dell desktop (this is at work so can’t get the specifics) Flash drive is PFU016U-1BCK

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Try contacting Toshiba support, but unless you can plug it into the machine where Norton may have quarantined the app and release it, you may be boned.

irishjoo
Jul 20, 2004

Step 1-Curl and Drag
Step 2-Attempt to Shoot
Step 3-Get Soft Penalty
Step 4-Score just enough to make people forget about Steps 1-3
Turns out that Norton removed the Toshiba software. Turning off Norton and reinstalling the software fixed it. I transfered the files to a new USB and hard drive then tossed the drive in the trash. Obviously turned Norton back on after.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The two lessons I'd take from this are not to use proprietary encryption software like the stuff from Toshiba, and not to use the Norton Security software that started this whole mess. This is what third-party antivirus software does, it causes severe system problems and interferes with normal app functionality in a desperate attempt to convince you that it's doing something, anything worth paying for.

• Locked thread