Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mission 04: Defense of Syrtsev

https://youtu.be/VFjI_kJxuNM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Theatre of War 2: Kursk 1943

Soviet Campaign - Mission 05: Southern Outskirts of Verkhopenye

Briefing Summary posted:

8 July - War, War never changes

We need to form a mobile defensive unit capable of knocking out enemy tanks.

New Equipment

KV-1

The KV-1 was the heavy tank of early Soviet tank formations. It had a good amount of armour and its gun was the same as the T-34's. Unfortunately, it was heavy, broke down easily and its engine was underpowered. Due to its unsatisfactory performance, a long development process was started in order to improve it.

KV-1S

The KV-1S was an attempt at making the KV-1 faster but was still underarmed. Strangely, the game doesn't change its speed? It should be faster, so I don't know if this is just an error or something else :shrug:

Deployable forces

We can deploy the following number of units this mission
Task Force 550 points
4 x Infantry Detachments
3 x Armoured Cars

Bren Carriers count as an armored car

Bren Carriers cost 35 points
Ba-64s cost 60 points
Ba-10Ms cost 140 points

Reinforcements 2250 points
3 x Infantry Detachments
5 x Tanks

Deadline is tomorrow, 10am EST

Evil Imperial
Sep 4, 2014
Task Force:
2 x BA-10M (280 Pts)
1 x BA-64 (60 Pts)

2 x Scout Squad (70 Pts)
1 x Platoon Command (20 Pts)
2 x SMG Squad (110 Pts)

Reinforcements:
1 x T-34 Command (400 Pts)
2 x T-34 Plant 183 (800 Pts)
2 x KV-1 (900 Pts)

2 x SMG Squad (110 Pts)
1 x Tank Destroyer Squad (40 Pts)

Let's see what happens, this can't go any worse than any of the Italian or Kasserine Pass missions. At the very least you can show off a few different infantry types that we wouldn't normally see.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Can the coffin crew jump into a KV?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

Can the coffin crew jump into a KV?

Will do.

As for force selection, I vetoed a few things to keep named units in the rotation.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Welp, the top speed of the KV-1S should be 43 kph. Assuming that stat card is correct, there is no reason to take the KV-1S over the KV-1. :shrug:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ask me how Mission 05 went

:shepicide:

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Are you saying that a bunch of BA-10s and BA-64s aren't enough to hold back Panthers and Tigers?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Iceshade posted:

Are you saying that a bunch of BA-10s and BA-64s aren't enough to hold back Panthers and Tigers?

No way, he should have just the Tigers get stuck in mud and waited for Panthers to show their side armor.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Guess Jobbo_Fett isn't the Zhukov I thought he would be :colbert:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Iceshade posted:

Guess Jobbo_Fett isn't the Zhukov I thought he would be :colbert:

Funny thing about that is Zhukov's Wrath managed to bog down in a river in one of the attempts. I didnt know that was even possible.

Also, I'm certain someone put a curse on me because this is the first mission so far where there have been "issues"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mission 05: Southern Outskirts of Verkhopenye

https://youtu.be/wVY1V4utoQM

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Soviet Campaign - Mission 06: Verkhopenye

Briefing Summary posted:

The Germans have pushed us back to the west shore of the Pena river. Prevent them from crossing and establishing a bridgehead, and beware of German air support as it appears to be well coordinated in this area.

New Equipment

Produced from 1939 to 1945, the 85mm gun was the standard heavy anti-air defense gun for most of its lifespan. Crews were given anti-tank rounds in the event they encountered any enemy vehicles. The game has, quite oddly, decided to separate both anti-tank and anti-air versions :shrug:

Deployable forces

Su-122 costs 400
Su-12M costs 230

We can deploy the following number of units this mission
Task Force 4280 points
6 x Infantry Detachments
4 x Machine Guns
4 x Tanks
4 x Mortars
8 x AT or AA guns

Reinforcements 2150 points
2 x Tank Destroyers
3 x Tanks

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Wait, so the losing this mission doesn't actually give you a game over? It just continues on to the next mission? Are there any differences between the two scenarios?

And I know the deadline is over already, but just in case:
4 85mm gun in AA configuration - 800 points
4 85mm gun in AT configuration - 800 points
4 T34 tanks - 1600 points
3 82mm mortars - 360 points
1 50mm mortar - 50 points
6 Infantry squads - 420 points
3 12,7mm MG - 240 points

Reinforcements:
2 SU-122 - 800 points
3 T34 tanks - 1200 points

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nuramor posted:

Wait, so the losing this mission doesn't actually give you a game over? It just continues on to the next mission? Are there any differences between the two scenarios?

Yes.
Yup.
Not as far as I know.

We saw it once with the Africa 1943 campaign while defending an important railway station as the British. We lost, but the game had a solution to that where the Allies just bombed the RS instead and everything was hunky-dory. This game sort of follows on that, except that there doesn't seem to be a contingency plan. It also illustrates the fact that, with our limited units, the game doesn't have a failsafe to account for this, albeit rare, occasion. Lost all your men? Immediate loss, even if you are gifted men 2 seconds later.

The current mission isn't looking all too good either :ohdear:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Soviet Campaign - Mission 06: Verkhopenye

https://youtu.be/wNrIBPs8354

Evil Imperial
Sep 4, 2014
Well better get another T-34 Command ready for me. If we've lost Zukhov's Wrath.

Z'sW II: Wrath Harder

Wow that was punishing mission, on the bright side, you nailed most of a Stuka Staffeln.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Soviet Campaign - Mission 07: Novoselovka

Briefing Summary posted:

July 9th, the men are dead tired as they have been fighting non-stop for days. Hopefully, Novoselovka will offer us a brief respite.

Although, it may be a short one as the Grossdeutschland is still in pursuit. Their reconnaissance regiment has been spotting from the east, and armor elements are in support.

We should have some lines of defense already constructed, as well as one or more minefields to prevent the enemy from flanking us.

No New Equipment

We have 1570 points for our main task force composed of:

While we have 4060 points for the reserve group:

Comrade Stalin has dictated that the selections made in prior missions have lead to the recent losses in our sector.

But the mission won't be played until thursday, so if you want a new tank/etc let me know

Koffin Krew is still alive (in this timeline), and 3 of the 4 members of Zhukov's Wrath retreated safely (the loader didn't make it).

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mission 07: Novoselovka

https://youtu.be/P14NlqQXeCw

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Soviet Campaign - Mission 08: Kalinovka

Briefing Summary posted:

It doesn't appear that the Germans are ready to slow down, much less stop.

We need to secure some trenches and fortifications and (try to) successfully prevent the Grossdeuschtland regiments from breaking through.

This is our last chance.

Judging by the in-game briefings, I suspect we were supposed to lose the last few missions.

No New Equipment

Deploying Forces

With over 4k points, and a myriad of units to choose from, I figured I would just pick my units for this one.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mission 08: Kalinovka

https://youtu.be/nCdyBShgu90

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Going to take a break from ToW2 for 2 weeks. We'll start seeing the German campaign once I'm back from the hiatus.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

German Campaign - Mission 01: Cherkasskoe, Southern Outskirts

https://youtu.be/5rtZfQXEYog

We're back, and this time we get to accurately roleplay German incompetence! :v:

I'll get some unit stuff done over the weekend... maybe.

Evil Imperial
Sep 4, 2014
I'll go off the beaten path for once, I'll take one of 7.5 cm (75mm) Infantry Guns, naming it Burning Steel.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Having a terrain feature that just randomly incapacitates your most important units is kinda a dick move, game!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I love Tigers beyond reason, so can I get a Tiger named? I mean, I like Pz IIIs, too, but I have a feeling they won't stick around long if we see any.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nuramor posted:

Having a terrain feature that just randomly incapacitates your most important units is kinda a dick move, game!

Yeah, its a problem that I don't think they really knew how to tackle well. On the one hand, you could have it so that tank crews could try to repair a broken track - have some or all the crew exposed and make it a little time consuming. If that were possible, the player wouldn't feel cheated out of a 400+ point unit that, more often than not, swings the tide of battle.

Another thing that I haven't seen is the AI get incapacitated because of it. In the Soviet campaign, German tanks were simply spawned as having crossed the ravine (I assume anyway, due to placement and detection range vs LOS) and I don't think I've ever seen then have a natural barrier/danger being present in front of their path.* So the terrain falls into this weird category where it is cool they included for grognard/spergy fans that want as much detail as possible while simultaneously not applying it to all parties in-game (unless both sides are human).

*: Although I may just be mis-remembering

JcDent posted:

I love Tigers beyond reason, so can I get a Tiger named? I mean, I like Pz IIIs, too, but I have a feeling they won't stick around long if we see any.

Definitely, just need a name and I'll get that done for next week's briefing/force selection.

As for the Panzer III's, I find they have the same problem as tanks like the T-60 or M3 Stuart. They are supposed to be fast(!) right? Yet, I don't feel like speed ever plays into an engagement. Sure, the heavier tanks feel much slower than medium or light tanks, but we're not seeing 30 to 60km/h speeds. Maybe its just a gameplay thing, but I find its a lost opportunity to hold back lighter tanks in such a way because thats one of their main advantages.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Call my tank the Apothecary

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

German Campaign - Mission 02: Cherkasskoe

Briefing Summary posted:

We have made it through Cherkasskoe's southern outskirts and are proceeding towards the town itself. Recon tells us that there are anti-tank guns and infantry dug in an attempt to prevent a breakthrough. Minefields are also suspected to be in place, although we aren't sure exactly where.

Assemble your forces, attack the defensive lines and push through!

New Equipment

Yeah the game pretty much throws everything at you with arms raised and a shrug.

Deployable forces

We can deploy the following number of units this mission:

Task Force 6350 points
6 x Infantry Detachments
6 x Armoured Cars
8 x Tanks and/or Tank Destroyers
4 x Mortars/AT guns/Artillery
3 x AA guns

Reinforcements 2150 points
3 x Infantry Detachments
3 x Armoured Cars
4 x Tanks

JcDent
May 13, 2013

4 x Infantry Squads
2 x Platoon Commander for shits and giggles
6 x your cheapest armored cars, because why bother?
2 x tigers
2 x Stugs
4 x Pz IV whichever ones fit
4 x Wespe
3 x that mobile AA

Reserves
3 x infantry
3 x cheapest armored cars left
1 x Panther
3 x StuGs?

I'm once again left wondering how historic the casualties are.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mission 02: Cherkasskoe

https://youtu.be/Wqj--f5bPYY

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

German Campaign - Mission 03: Syrtsev-Dubrovna Line

Briefing Summary posted:

After Cherkasskoe, we have moved towards the Syrtsev-Dubrovna line, composed of an anti-tank position with accompanying artillery.

We believe some of the approaches are mined, and enemy tanks are believed to be in the area so watch out for counter-attacks or flanking maneuvers!

Deployable forces

We can deploy the following number of units this mission:

Task Force 6170 points
6 x Infantry Detachments
6 x Armoured Cars
8 x Tanks and/or Tank Destroyers
4 x Mortars/AT guns/Artillery
2 x AA guns

No Reinforcements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm going to have to sideline this LP guys and girls.

Mostly because of the amount of time I have to put into this that I could be spending on other LPs, which I've sorta been swamped with. This isn't helped by some AI problems that can force me to redo a 30-60min mission over multiple times.

In any case, to those few still tagging along at this point, thanks for the patience and interest. I still maintain that ToW 1 and 2 are good games to enter the grognard side of gaming before diving into such gems as Combat Mission, but I would be lying if I didn't say I experienced some frustration or confusion by certain design decisions.

Thanks for watching!

• Locked thread