Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Problem description: About 2-5 times a day, at random times, I lose connectivity to the internet for 5-10 seconds. It seems to affect my desktop's ethernet wired connection only, and not my laptop's wifi, since my laptop was on a couple times when it happened with no problems.

Attempted fixes: I've reset my router and bought a new modem.

Recent changes: This is the second router of this model I've owned, and I don't remember if I had the problem with the first. But my system hasn't changed since them.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit

System specs:
Router: RT-n66u "Dark Knight"
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H (I'm connected to the ethernet port on the motherboard)
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.40GHZ
Modem: Ubee DVW3201 (but like I said, I had the exact same problem with another modem from a different manufacturer)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The updating to the latest adapter drivers, but honestly since your onboard NIC is an Atheros I would just get a new PCI-E network adapter. For under $20 you can pick up a cheap Realtek-based adapter that works decently with the latest drivers from the Realtek website.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Alereon posted:

The updating to the latest adapter drivers, but honestly since your onboard NIC is an Atheros I would just get a new PCI-E network adapter. For under $20 you can pick up a cheap Realtek-based adapter that works decently with the latest drivers from the Realtek website.

Are Atheros I adapters known to be unreliable and have issues like this? By the way, I've just confirmed that my wireless connection doesn't experience these interruptions.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Atheros wireless network adapters were always decent options on desktops before Intel jumped in the game, but the wired adapter in your board's known to cause problems using the Killer-branded drivers. Generic atheros adapters might fix it so I'd try those first. If you opt for replacement as he said Realtek PCI-E adapters won't cost much, or your could spend a bit more and get an Intel CT adapter if you never want to think about it again.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I bought the adapter and haven't had any problems since, thanks!

• Locked thread