Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
discuss your latest tekwear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

i wonder how long itll take for someone to post that picture of 6 or so nerds with ugly bad wearable tech and say "yospos meetup 2015" or smth

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Widdiful posted:

i wonder how long itll take for someone to post that picture of 6 or so nerds with ugly bad wearable tech and say "yospos meetup 2015" or smth

they'll probably need to wait until the apple watch guess on sale lololololol

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
NOT because it's good
NOT because it's intuitive
because designers told us it's good so most idiots say "this is in, it's good"
It's as bad as loving fashion, for fucks, loving sakes.

I'm SO over it, websites, phone apps, now phone OS's - everything is going SINGLE colour FLAT, no shading, NO DIVIDING LINES (ARGH) just complete white space (or any other colour)
The new dialler on the Samsung iteration of Lollipop is disgusting. All the numbers are just on one big flat shaded mess.
Forget about what's "cool" forget about aesthetics, tell me which one of these looks easier to hit the loving numbers on?
http://www.sammobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/s4-kitkat-lollipop-7.jpg

It's 19'th level, loving desk smashingly frustrating. I'm a NERD, I'm a GEEK, I'm a loving IT guy, I WANT TO DO THINGS AS FAST AS HUMANLY loving POSSIBLE. The only thing holding me back should be my fingers, my computer or my device. I should not be sitting there mentally processing poo poo because it's obfuscated with poor design.

The textless icon 'fad' (which saves them translation costs) is probably the worst part. It's full spec kitten stamping insanity. I don't give 2 fucks if the wifi icon is ubiquitous, they have now dozens if not hundreds of icons for applications across the world on iOS, android, windows which are loving meaningless and we're meant to know what they do.
"Well just press them to learn once" NO - a, that could be a bad thing I don't want to do and b, EVERY time I see the icon, I wonder "is that?...." I shouldn't think that. I should see the text too. The more I can instantly relate to the better.
I even think (despite it likely being ugly) that we should be consider using colours more.
Wouldn't it be nice if the 'send' button was always not only a "play" looking icon on my Android device, but it was LABELLED "send" and it was ALWAYS green.
Delete / trash icon? Always a trash bin, ALWAYS labelled with text, ALWAYS red? That's THREE fast things which will help me very very (very!) quickly identify what i want to click.

I tire so much of the 0.4'th of a second it takes my brain to 'double check' if I'm going to press the right thing. Those 0.4'ths wouldn't exist if this poo poo was done properly.

I apologise for ranting but this stuff is BAD, it's UGLY and it's poo poo and I'm ultra sick of it. It's hipster, flat, bland, wank for the sake of wank and it's costing me time.

One more thing, I no longer work in IT support. It was hard enough as it is when I did it, I couldn't begin to empathise enough with some poor piece of poo poo helpdesk guy now, who not only has to do that work but tell them "no click the icon that looks like an old cupboard but with 2 circular dials on it, no it's up the top right, no there's no colour, no there's no label, yeah it looks like........" for fucks sake.
Madness, utter madness.
LABEL things
put COLOUR on things
USE DIVIDING LINES - 1 pixel thick lines to separate sections ain't gonna kill anyone

If you work in the UI / UX industry and support this stuff. Kill yourself
No, I mean it, actually kill yourself, you're a scourge on technology.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

but the  watch isnt out yet op

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

is this the same as those "wearables" I've been hearing about

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i'm naked of tekwear, op :h: :butt:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I want the thing Leela wears on her wrist in Futurama

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

qntm posted:

I want Leela

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
robocop

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

qntm posted:

I want the thing

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
lol

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 20, 2015

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SevX46fg-Pk

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i have a google glass. it is bad.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

i thought a google glass was when you smash a pint glass into a google employees stupid face

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my watch runs on light it's pretty futuristic

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
lol i just found this article https://medium.com/the-nib/through-the-watching-glass-59e09d27432a
(it is good)

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I don't understand this phone connected watches thing. what are they good for really

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

its all poo poo. call me when there are pipboys

slam flanders
Jan 13, 2015

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

susie_c is the greatest

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

all my jeans used to have buttons but now theyre all zip. pretty rad tech op

pram