Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I care about being a hacker
Yes
No
I don't have a third option.
View Results

• Locked thread
SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

BONGHITZ posted:

it is, op.

Phew, I was worried that the short hairs had completely taken over the hacker world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the jargon file was irrelevant when esr took it over. the previous maintainers literally lost interest and stopped caring about it and little eric saw his opportunity to join the cool hacker club by picking it out of the garbage

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my handcrafted list of unix koans

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

As a Millennial I posted:

esr has never been relevant

he's always considered himself relevant, and he's always been primarily a hanger-on

I need to dig up my UNIX-HATERS archive to re-read a bit, he showed up on the list for a bit because ~~hacker culture~~ and promptly got himself booted for being ESR

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

computer toucher posted:

Without the Jargon File, how would we protected from the inhuman alien poo poo zombies?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The Management posted:

the jargon file was irrelevant when esr took it over. the previous maintainers literally lost interest and stopped caring about it and little eric saw his opportunity to join the cool hacker club by picking it out of the garbage

and also use it to proselytize his libertarian politics to proto-nerds, in case they haven't read "atlas shrugged" yet

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
esr seems cool. idk why u have to go all commie lf on him.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
communism loving sucks. I'm sure your college professors seem really cool and well informed but truth is they just couldn't hack it in the real world. Marx was a dumb old German fat bitch.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
get an avatar and try again

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
what was the gnu poo poo for which esr tried to take credit and like pretend he did most of the work, when all his code was of poo poo quality?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

fetchmail?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
like i think stallman is wrong but at least he has solid convictions, is a genuinely smart person, and has contributed to the field of computer science in a meaningful way (even if that was like literally half a century ago)

esr is just a shitheap with a poo poo face that found a bunch of people even he could bully around.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I had never heard of this ESR person who is apparently totally irrelevant before YOSPOS but it seems everyone here knows weirdly detailed stuff about him and can't stop talking about him.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

emoji posted:

I had never heard of this ESR person who is apparently totally irrelevant before YOSPOS but it seems everyone here knows weirdly detailed stuff about him and can't stop talking about him.

Only 90s hackers would understand.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Management posted:

on the plus side, he did somehow get a publisher to make a print copy of it, and that's where i found it and read it. i enjoyed it quite a bit

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

prefect posted:

on the plus side, he did somehow get a publisher to make a print copy of it, and that's where i found it and read it. i enjoyed it quite a bit

ESR got it re-published.

Maybe I should fork it and add how you need a XXL T shirt and Mt. Dew to be a hacker in this day and age.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

imagine it's 2025 and someone decides to publish SAclopedia because they think GBS in-jokes from 2004 are important cultural touchstones which need to be preserved

now imagine it's 2035 and a racist midget with a face like a downs sufferer covered in candle wax decides to delete half the entries and replace them with freep catchphrases and 4chan memes

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 2, 2015

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

the loss of the great library at lowtaxica

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

The Management posted:

i also remember the jargon file being about pdp-10 culture originally. then esr appended unix stuff and then all the poo poo of the dotcom era. afaik the pdp-10 people hated unix.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

it was originally about the MIT model train club (it's always trains) and the computer stuff was added later

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Sweevo posted:

imagine it's 2025 and someone decides to publish SAclopedia because they think GBS in-jokes from 2004 are important cultural touchstones which need to be preserved

now imagine it's 2035 and a racist midget with a face like a downs sufferer covered in candle wax decides to delete half the entries and replace them with freep catchphrases and 4chan memes

it's not strictly true that he's a racist midget with a face like a downs sufferer covered in candle wax. it would be fairer to say that he's a racist cuck midget with a face like a downs sufferer covered in candle wax

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Sweevo posted:

it was originally about the MIT model train club (it's always trains) and the computer stuff was added later

Trains were behind the GPL and bitcoib.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Trains were behind the GPL and bitcoib.

my god, it's full of autism!

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Origin posted:

my god, it's full of autism!

Are talking about the jargon file or yospos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Are talking about the jargon file or yospos?

yes

• Locked thread