Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I love how it lists the S3 as $329. Which is normal price.

To the dude thinking about waiting, I’m in the same boat. I don’t have an AW and am getting the major itch to just fuckin buy one. I haven’t seen a deal on anything but the GPS version so far. I’m wondering if the LTE is going to see any discount at all.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

To the dude thinking about waiting, I’m in the same boat. I don’t have an AW and am getting the major itch to just fuckin buy one. I haven’t seen a deal on anything but the GPS version so far. I’m wondering if the LTE is going to see any discount at all.

The only place I can really see having a discount is the carriers. End of the day, Apple probably doesn’t care that much on the $10 a month, but Verizon and ATT do.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Actually, the Target ad lists the Series 3 for $329.99. Apple's regular price is $329.00.

So their Black Friday "sale" lists it for 99¢ more than what it costs to get from Apple any day of the year.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Kohl's has it for $329 with a $60 gift certificate.
https://www.dealnews.com/Apple-Watch-Series-3-GPS-38-mm-60-Kohls-GC-for-329-free-shipping/2120083.html

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah that is what I am going to post.

That is something you will most likely see normal price and some gift card.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's only ever for the GPS version though :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I knew I wouldn’t have the patience to hold out. My excuse to myself is I work a double on Black Friday so I won’t be in a mood to hunt around anyway.

Got the 3 at Apple, One phone call to Verizon for activation and it all seems to be working fine. I’ll be trying out the cell part later today and over the next week.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

The only place I can really see having a discount is the carriers. End of the day, Apple probably doesn’t care that much on the $10 a month, but Verizon and ATT do.

This is actually a pretty good point, unless Apple gets a cut of it.

Also, I only ever see the sport band version on sale, come to think of it. I think I want a sport loop instead.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

This is actually a pretty good point, unless Apple gets a cut of it.

Also, I only ever see the sport band version on sale, come to think of it. I think I want a sport loop instead.

I’m a big fan of the sport band. I’ve tried Milanese (off amazon), Nylon, a leather band, and I always tend to go back to the sport band. That being said, since I already had one I got the Nike+ with sport loop just to have a different band, and it’s not bad. It was weird putting on the first time, but I think it’s a little more comfortable than the nylon. I’ll probably switch still use 5e sport band as my primary one, but I’ll switch between them every once and a while.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So uh I bought my wife the S2 for her birthday but I'm trying to find a good women's band to replace the stock black one with. Has anyone bought a good looking feminine band?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MarcusSA posted:

So uh I bought my wife the S2 for her birthday but I'm trying to find a good women's band to replace the stock black one with. Has anyone bought a good looking feminine band?

All of the lesser-priced ($50) bands come in feminine colors, and all of the leather bands are pretty suitably unisex in size. They all have stainless steel lugs, though. If she has a darker watch, Coach also makes leather bands with darker lugs, and I'm willing to bet their leather is of higher quality for the same price ($150ish.) Then there's the Hermès bands, but gently caress all that.

enojy fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 8, 2017

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Coq au Nandos posted:

Happy to confirm that the Apple Watch will notify you of your elevated heart rate during a panic attack.

It’s "really comforting" hey!

Handy feature though, but the way it is executed can make you panic more, I wish it could notify say a Cardiologist or whoever looks after your heart/other health, and maybe tell you later on when it’s settled (unless the BPM keeps on increasing maybe).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So trying out the Apple Watch, I just hangouts for my calls and texts, and I’m pretty happy to confirm that hangout messages come through fine when the watch is on LTE and the phone isn’t around. Still isn’t perfect as I can only reply , I can’t start a brand new conversation, but honestly that’s about what I would want.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

enojy posted:

All of the lesser-priced ($50) bands come in feminine colors, and all of the leather bands are pretty suitably unisex in size. They all have stainless steel lugs, though. If she has a darker watch, Coach also makes leather bands with darker lugs, and I'm willing to bet their leather is of higher quality for the same price ($150ish.) Then there's the Hermès bands, but gently caress all that.

Ah ok thanks I'll look into the coach ones.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

japtor posted:

I keep it in the Dock so pretty sure you can pin it in there, and if it's like before it should automatically be there when you have some media playing.

Hm, seems to be the case if I'm using airpods but not if I'm using regular headphones. Oh well I'll pin it there, I had it pinned before but that went away in the new ios.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Series 2 watch for sale.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839932&perpage=40

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Just check Etsy. Lots and lots of good bands for good prices there. Certainly much less than designer brands will charge you.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Just check Etsy. Lots and lots of good bands for good prices there. Certainly much less than designer brands will charge you.

oh yeah thats a great idea too!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

drat. There’s some really good looking stuff.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh yea! I forgot about Etsy, as I decided against a leather band purchase, but I do recall a number of people selling Horween quality and up in the $70-80 range. It's just a matter of finding something aesthetically pleasing to you (or your wife.) Some makers opt to use big thick waxed stitching like you'd find on an actual horse saddle and it just looks tacky to me.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Black Friday poo poo:

Best Buy will have Apple Watch Series 1 starting at $199, Target Apple Watch Series 1 starting at $179

Target will have Apple Watch Series 3 starting at $329.

No Airpods sales anywhere yet... :-(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why would you put something you can't keep in stock on sale?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

enojy posted:

Target will have Apple Watch Series 3 starting at $329.

This is regular price.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Are the Nike+ watches worth buying, or are they just a bit of advertising on Apple/nike’s part? I would be using the watch 50/50 as an exercise device/smart watch, for what that is worth.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Are the Nike+ watches worth buying, or are they just a bit of advertising on Apple/nike’s part? I would be using the watch 50/50 as an exercise device/smart watch, for what that is worth.

They have one extra watch face and a tacky sports band so...uh

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Quantum of Phallus posted:

So what you’re saying is... absolutely worth it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So what you’re saying is... absolutely worth it?

I got it and would say there’s really no difference. There’s a small logo of Nike on the back of the watch, so if that bothers you don’t get it. The sport loop band for the Nike i think is about the same, but the sport bands are def different.

But yeah, less than 24 hours in and I forgot I had the Nike Verizon anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Nike bands are a nicer than the regular sport bands for actually working out in.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's like two or three faces...and the volt color for other faces! Is that Nike exclusive too? I actually use them sometimes so ehh, it's the same price as the regular equivalent models iirc so it was more of a "why not" for me.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Endless Mike posted:

The Nike bands are a nicer than the regular sport bands for actually working out in.

And you can buy knockoffs that are oem quality for less than $10

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ddogflex posted:

And you can buy knockoffs that are oem quality for less than $10

Yeah this. I bought one and it looks exactly like the nike one.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I’d love a section in the OP with third party quality knockoff bands along with other goon recommendations for bands.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The OP is so old it's pre-launch of the ORIGINAL Watch. I'm gonna go ahead and write a new one up. Post funny thread titles here.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Thwomp posted:

I’d love a section in the OP with third party quality knockoff bands along with other goon recommendations for bands.

I went to Amazon and sorted the 42mm Apple Watch bands by Average Review score and went nuts.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

The OP is so old it's pre-launch of the ORIGINAL Watch. I'm gonna go ahead and write a new one up. Post funny thread titles here.

Apple Watch - Proving once again to wait for the 3rd revision of an Apple product

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Thwomp posted:

Apple Watch - Proving once again to wait for the 3rd revision of an Apple product

Apple Watch - Hoping to get music again in WatchOS 5.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Apple Watch - WHY THE gently caress DID YOU TAKE AWAY THE MUSIC BROWSING IN THE FIRST PLACE YOU loving rear end in a top hat FUCKS gently caress YOU APPLE 5.0

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Caved and picked up an S3 LTE on the way home from work. I figured I have 30 days to return jt if it goes on a BF sale. This thing is light as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

New thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840039

• Locked thread